SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question on Sig P220 Legion Finish
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Sig P220 Legion Finish Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Legion finish appears to be 'meh' all around.

Part of me doesn't get the obsession with finish. Especially the obsession on the Legion finish. If that was my gun, I would just keep shooting it.

The other part of me cringes at how bad some of these guns look upon delivery. There is no excuse to have to have this conversation. I love my 226s, but sometimes I think the best customer service is the one you never have to use. Sweet Jesus.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
To me it's just the point of SIG saying "hey, it's this great PVD Legion finish" and it really seems to not be the case. Or it's just inconsistently applied so some weapons look great, some look like ass.

I don't baby my weapons, but I want to be the one to make them look like crap, not receive NIB weapons that look like crap already.

Then again, I'm not a Legion owner, nor will I likely ever be.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me it's just the point of SIG saying "hey, it's this great PVD Legion finish" and it really seems to not be the case. Or it's just inconsistently applied so some weapons look great, some look like ass.

I don't baby my weapons, but I want to be the one to make them look like crap, not receive NIB weapons that look like crap already.

Then again, I'm not a Legion owner, nor will I likely ever be.

Oh yeah, I agree. I said in another thread that I wish they had a Nitron finish. I am a big Legion fan.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
That's good to hear. You see this a lot on AR15 receivers.

Sigs seem to soak up oil. I now have an ultrasonic cleaner and the first time I cleaned my P226 with it, I thought I had ruined the finish with the way it looked. Now I know it was just very dry and after I oiled the gun it looked great.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
That's good to hear. You see this a lot on AR15 receivers.

Sigs seem to soak up oil. I now have an ultrasonic cleaner and the first time I cleaned my P226 with it, I thought I had ruined the finish with the way it looked. Now I know it was just very dry and after I oiled the gun it looked great.

Good or bad, each time I use an ultrasonic, I hose the part down in Rem oil, and sling off the excess. I then wipe off any excess and lube the proper points with the right lube.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
It shot nice; I really love the trigger! I brought my P226 9mm along as well and I just love that gun. I can shoot way more accurate with it than the P220.

Is this your first time shooting a P220?

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you be so kind as to post a pic of the frame after you oiled that spot? I'm glad your gun doesn't have any issues that require it to be sent back.

I'll be looking for a Legion in something soon so I'm very curious.At least if I come a across a spot like that, I'll know its probably a simple fix.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:
quote:
It shot nice; I really love the trigger! I brought my P226 9mm along as well and I just love that gun. I can shoot way more accurate with it than the P220.

Is this your first time shooting a P220?

Yes, this is my first time ever shooting a P220.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
Would you be so kind as to post a pic of the frame after you oiled that spot? I'm glad your gun doesn't have any issues that require it to be sent back.

I'll be looking for a Legion in something soon so I'm very curious.At least if I come a across a spot like that, I'll know its probably a simple fix.

Sure thing. I plan to clean it tomorrow if I have time since I am on-call for work. I will post a pic of it cleaned. I also spoke to Sig customer service who told me the gun just probably needed to be oiled. So far the oiling of the gun took care of the spots.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, this is my first time ever shooting a P220.

I bet you will find the P220 just as accurate as your P226 after you have spent some more range time with it.

Congrats on the gun!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is a pic of the big spot on the frame where I thought for sure the finish flaked off, but in reality it was just a dry spot. I went shooting today and oiled it after cleaning and here is how it looks. All spots on the gun I was concerned about are just fine after being oiled.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Legion finish appears to be 'meh' all around.

Part of me doesn't get the obsession with finish. Especially the obsession on the Legion finish. If that was my gun, I would just keep shooting it.

The other part of me cringes at how bad some of these guns look upon delivery. There is no excuse to have to have this conversation. I love my 226s, but sometimes I think the best customer service is the one you never have to use. Sweet Jesus.

I don't baby my guns either. All of mine get shot, a lot, except my 228, it gets fondled more than shot. I've shot numerous matches in rain as well as sandy conditions, mags dropped in all manner of dirt/mud/sand.

But....When I cut that bracelet off the grips and unbag it, I want it pristine. Luckily every SIG I own Legion included came in immaculate shape.

---

Glad it was only dry Norman. It would be hard to believe it could have left the factory like that if it was flaking. Sure did look scary though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: "Luckily every SIG I own Legion included came in immaculate shape."

That was the case for my two SIGs as well: an X5 Comp and a P238. But the little P238 was TOTALLY devoid of lube out of the box.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you StorminNormin!!

That pic makes me much more comfortable. I do like the finish on those guns.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you StorminNormin!!

That pic makes me much more comfortable. I do like the finish on those guns.

I had also e-mailed Sig about it and here is what they said: "That decorative finish is prone to significant blotchiness when dry. The metal that the gun is made from is very porous and soaks up oil like a sponge."

So it was definitely just dry and needed to be oiled.