SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has the Ruger .44 special GP been discussed yet ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the Ruger .44 special GP been discussed yet ? Login/Join 
posted
I searched and did not find it here.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
No, Its a great gun: Check the Ruger Site for model 1761. I want one too!

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I just picked mine up yesterday. Nothing to report yet except that I have already installed a Wolff 10# trigger return spring and replaced the factory rubber grip with a Hogue checkered rosewood grip.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin of your gun.....A Ruger 44 mag Alaskan. For a snub nose, very accurate. I carry it in a chest holster as a bear offset when I'm in the woods. A great gun and a big chunk of stainless steel.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I want one!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I need to make a trip to the LGS !

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's definitely on the to-get list. I spied a .41 magnum redhawk with a 4" bbl yesterday locally that may come first.

I mean, c'mon. It's a .41.

I think I could make some decent .44 spl for the GP100, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I like the balance of the 3 inch GP-100 but prefer to see six holes in the cylinder Wink

I just picked up a .38spl only 3 inch GP-100 last week.

That said I am sure the .44spl will make fine shooters at reasonable distances. I would also expect the Ruger to be able to handle some comparatively stout hand-loads when compared to the Charter Arms Bulldog.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Per the oth r revolver thread, mines on order. Hoping they are starting to ship. Its gonna be about the perfect northwoods gun.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to put 6 Hornady XTP factory loads through one last weekend at an annual event. An absolutely sweet shooting, controllable revolver and load.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Have any of you guys who've actually bought one noticed problems with chamber mouths, timing, the frame being out of true, etc.? I cruise through a couple of Ruger fora from time to time, and there seems to be a litany of problems that people noticed with the first batch.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice gun.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If you are not aware, Hickok45 recently posted a video on this gun. He got his from Bud's, as did I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-GdiGxAcWI

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I bought one in March and absolutely love it. I fired Hornady CD and got tight groups at 15 yards with stout but manageable recoil.

The balance is as good as it gets. The trigger, not so much. It was gritty, so my gunsmith smoothed it out nicely, so I haven't considered going to a reduced power spring.

I highly recommend it.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've been lusting after the 45 acp/colt redhawk.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Have any of you guys who've actually bought one noticed problems with chamber mouths, timing, the frame being out of true, etc.? I cruise through a couple of Ruger fora from time to time, and there seems to be a litany of problems that people noticed with the first batch.

I just returned from the indoor range where I de-flowered my gun with 75 rounds of pussy reloads at 15 yards. My gun functioned perfectly and recoil with the Hornady 180gr swaged bullets was mild. I see/experienced no evidence of any such problems. The green fiber optic front sight really stands out and the trigger was very good. When the remaining reloads are gone, I will boost the thump a bit with a heavier bullet.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Do we know if it will fit in a 357 GP holster?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
swore I would never buy another gun shorter than a 4 inch.
may have to make an exception

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Do we know if it will fit in a 357 GP holster?

I tried mine in one of my gp100 holsters when I bought it, and was surprised it did not slip right in. The cylinder may be a bit bigger. I'll measure tonight after I've rested my back and give some specifics.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I just checked the GP-100 in .44spl against a Ruger GP-100 .357mag 4"bbl. Across the front of the cylinder, the .357 measures 38.12mm and the .44spl is 40.55mm. Explains why the .44spl will slide very tightly into a Milt Sparks PMK, but not budge on a different model OWB holster.

JPFO Life Member