SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig320 New Lightweight Firing Pin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig320 New Lightweight Firing Pin Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know if the new post upgrade light weight striker is compatible with a pistol that has not received the upgrade. I will not be having my 320 upgraded, but being the gadget freak that I am, a lighter striker would would mean a shorter lock time and less time the gun could move off target before ignition. I know it anal and woudl probably not make a difference at 10 yards or under, but there is a reason some competitors us titanium firing pins in their 1911s.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have an answer to your question, but holy smokes, welcome to the forum!

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're way overthinking it. First, the P320 isn't a competition race gun. Titanium firing pins are often used for safety reasons, in lieu of a Series 80 design.

And get the upgrade done, it's painless, free, better, and not to mention a little tiny bit safer.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For practical purposes, the "lock time" from hammer drop to discharge is negligible, and certainly any perceived difference in the weight of the firing pin or striker does not merit consideration. Lightweight strikers reduce reliability, and their function in the 1911 is for safety in 70-series models. There is no benefit whatsoever in making faster or more accurate shots. None.

Far better to focus on trigger control and sight alignment, grip, draw, transitions, etc.

I've trained with some fairly speedy folks who knew their stuff; all of them were active law enforcement shooters, as well as successful competitors, and not one of them ever discussed modifying a handgun with a lighter firing pin or striker. They focused on things that matter, rather than trying to make up for lack of skill by employing gadgets.

The only possible benefit I can imagine from "reduced lock time" would be if one is snapping the trigger and has perfect alignment. Otherwise, if one smoothly rolls through the trigger press and follows through on the shot and sights, then any attempt to reduce "lock time" is superfluous.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
The reduced-mass P320 striker was introduced for other reasons. In practice, we find it’s reliable in igniting primers, but I couldn’t make any extravagant claims for it’s faster lock time with a straight face.

As an aside:

I will say that the average P320F9 is more than inherently accurate and controllable enough to compete head to head against any other USPSA Production pistol. We proved this objective fact to any reasonably objective sceptic’s satisfaction.

Ron being the man he is, we were charged with developing it into a gun to BEAT the competition, and indeed that is what the P320X5 is designed to do. It embodies everything we hoped and asked for.

I’m getting under an inch at 35 yards with mine. It’ll fulfill anyone’s potential. Just sayin’.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to get one, its been six months since I tried to get my W-320-Com -9-Pre- Tension gun sent back .I boxed it up back in Oct- Nov . No Email and when I called they gave me a quick brush of and said we are finishing up maybe next week , that was in Jan . I may call and demand my 599 plus 30 FFL fee back from them . This gun is a tac driver . If I get the new thin trigger and bar plus lighter striker .I would call it a day . just missed the parts on E bay .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies folks and the welcome to the forum. I realize the faster lock time may just be a placebo affect, but I am the type of tinker that if I race stock cars I would acid dip the frame to take 5-lbs off : )

I have been shooting for over half a century and one of you is right that one of the reasons a person would put a titanium firing pin in a 1911 is for drop safety (it was never really an issue with series 70, but I guess it gave some folks a warm fuzzy safety feeling to have one anyway). Whatever floats your boat say I. I am also the type that prefers fully adjustable sights when available because I shoot well enough to take advantage of them (I am not the best, but I am pretty dang good with a pistol IMHO) and in my sport we may be required to shoot out to fifty yards and having adjustable sights to zero the gun well can come in to play at those distances.

I had purchased a used 320 Compact in 45 and loved it the first time I shot it. I use to have a 229 with both barrels I sold many years ago and could kick myself in the behind for doing so.

I just finished reassembling my 320 45 after installing a Gray flat trigger and polishing the heck out of everything I thought might rub together. After taking the thing fully part, it appears it has the light weight striker even though it has not had the upgrade. The trigger pull is now a crisp and repeatable 2.75 lbs. A little light for carry IMHO, but just right for competition perhaps. I have a Glock 23 whose trigger pull after modifications is 4.25-lbs and crisp, which I consider much more suitable for a carry gun. I am having so much fun with this 320 45acp, I am thinking about replacing the Glock with a 9x19 compact 320 in stock dressing.

Thanks again and have a great Easter.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
:/

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post