SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Low Recoil Recommendations for a 38 Special LCR 2"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Recoil Recommendations for a 38 Special LCR 2" Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I had a serious injury to my right arm a few years back and had to shoot left handed for several months. Since I was using my weaker hand, I started using Hornady 110gr FTX in my S&W 340PD. The recoil is mild and the round does ok in ballistics tests. https://www.luckygunner.com/ho...txhornady-25#geltest
It's not the greatest, but considering the reduction in felt recoil, it was worth it to me.

I had the same experience as Gibb with the Liberty 50gr ammo. The recoil was really mild, but the accuracy was terrible out of the 340PD.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I had a serious injury to my right arm a few years back and had to shoot left handed for several months. Since I was using my weaker hand, I started using Hornady 110gr FTX in my S&W 340PD. The recoil is mild and the round does ok in ballistics tests. https://www.luckygunner.com/ho...txhornady-25#geltest
It's not the greatest, but considering the reduction in felt recoil, it was worth it to me.

I had the same experience as Gibb with the Liberty 50gr ammo. The recoil was really mild, but the accuracy was terrible out of the 340PD.

Thank you for your post bobandmikako. Your post as well as the one from Gibb were very helpful. I took the class with some live fire training from an instructor who swore by Liberty Civil Defense ammo and he told me that it was more accurate and less recoil in any caliber than any other ammunition available. We were only shooting 9mm and since I am not that good of a shot I took his word for it. I do not meet people using this ammo and I had taken another class where the instructor stated it was his self-defense ammo and swore by it but his experience with it was the weight was less for him. It is nice to hear from some other people like yourselves that while the ammunition has less recoil there are accuracy issues with it.

Thanks again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SSAreGreat,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I use Federal Gold medal wadcutters as my carry Ammo in snubbies.

A) I have hand strength issues. (7 years of fractures in my hands apparently weren’t the best idea.)

B) They are quite accurate, and are supposed to have sufficient penetration.

C) I don’t think 38 special JHPs reliably expand out of a snub nose barrel.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not always true, the Federal HST 130 gr.+P micro does very well:

https://www.luckygunner.com/38...al-20-rounds#geltest

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:

This is my "go to" round for .38 snubbies these days. It is not especially hot either. Recoil it not bad at all.

If you can find them, give them a try.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:

This is my "go to" round for .38 snubbies these days. It is not especially hot either. Recoil it not bad at all.

If you can find them, give them a try.

Yep, and in the speed loader I carry Remington Golden Sabers. They are a hotter load but easier to load than the HST rounds due to the more rounded shape.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I use Federal Gold medal wadcutters as my carry Ammo in snubbies.

A) I have hand strength issues. (7 years of fractures in my hands apparently weren’t the best idea.)

B) They are quite accurate, and are supposed to have sufficient penetration.

b. yes tey are, c) true. that's why penetration is king for a snubbie. If it doesn't get to where it works before it expands ... EXCEPT for an HST bullet, they're not big expanders, so IF you want a HP in a snubbie, it must be an HST, other things being equal, else don't mess with them. Combining low velocity with small exapansion HST, it can work. The low velocity actually helps quite a bit for this combo.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
The Fedral Nyclad 125 grain is the best balance between low recoil and performance in a j frame. It is quite manageable and a decent defensive load. It’s just hard to find.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post