SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picking Up Kel-Tec P-11: Don't A Couple Members Here Have One?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking Up Kel-Tec P-11: Don't A Couple Members Here Have One? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
***Haters, please walk on by***

In an earlier thread about the PF-9 and P-11, a couple of you said you had the P-11, including one member that has had one as an EDC for 17 years?

I'd love to get some feedback and tips on them as I'm getting one this week. The 12 round mags are OK? What mods/accessories do you like?

I have a Northwood trigger for my P-32 I still haven't installed, but thought I'd get one for the P-11 and do them both.

Thanks!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
P11 in my pocket right now. Have had mine since 2011-ish.
Northwood trigger is a massive improvement over stock.

I had the slide stop tab break off at the range, it still functioned fine, just didn't lock back on empty. KT sent me a new one no charge, no questions.

Mine prefers JHPs that have a sharper taper to the bullet. Hydrashocks would get some FTFeed due to hanging up on the feed ramp.

I also put a grip sleeve (unsure of brand) with a little rib between middle/ring finger on the grip, that made it a bit easier to shoot.

Consensus on KTOG is that the metal guide rod is not needed & just peens the bottom of the barrel. Only the .40 & 357Sig P11s need/have it.

There also is/was a 22lr conversion kit available, 3rd party, dont recall the brand.

There is a S&W pistol that has compatible mags. I've also read you can cut the legs off of the mag follower to gain +1 or 2 on the 10rd KT mags.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I bought a P-11 back in 1997. Equipped it with a number of accessories: Factory sight kit, Belt clip, Trigger shoe, magazine grip extensions, and Hogue Handall Jr. rubber grip sleeve. Also polished the feed ramp and trigger bar per KTOG recommendations.

Loved the belt clip for EDC. Very reliable: never had any feeding or failure to fire problems. Biggest nit for me was the heavy trigger pull and reach as my dominant hand trigger finger is 1/4" shorter than my weak hand's. With some loads it wasn't the most pleasant to shoot. I tired of it and in 2010 it became my youngest son's EDC.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Consensus on KTOG is that the metal guide rod is not needed & just pens the bottom of the barrel.

Same issue with the P-32

I tried one of those and it turned into a jam-o-matic on top of the other issue. Not sure why they even bother making them?

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC the .40 & very short-lived 357Sig P11s had the metal guide rods OE.

I did take some sandpaper to the tip of the plastic guide rod in mine, it had a bur on it that make reassembly slightly more difficult.

Hasn't proven an issue, but my rear sight is also just tight enough to remain in place. I can drift it L/R by hand.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my P11 for many years. I have somewhere north of 6K rounds through it. I did put in new recoil springs at 5K. I carried mine for years, but now it resides permanently in my El Camino. I trust it 100%. I added a trigger shoe(to all of my KelTecs), and mag shoe. A lot of bang for the $$.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one a while back, and I found it to be reliable and good-enough accurate. Would have kept it but traded it towards a great deal on a Kahr MK9.

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Are there any other aftermarket sights available for it? Looks like XS Big Dot sights are.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I remember a few people putting metal sights on theirs. IIRC, the OE front sight has 2 pins that are 'melted' on the ends from the inside of the slide, would have to pull mine apart to confirm.
They definitely aren't dovetailed in.

Rear sight seem pretty standard.

Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
I have one, my only real complaint is the trigger pull. Great size and capacity and always reliable. I don't carry it because of the trigger, I have found better options for me. If I recall correctly, the mags are Mec-Gar. I would recommend it if you can get past the trigger.

Posts: 354 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
I would recommend it if you can get past the trigger.

I actually really like DAO triggers, so this won't be an issue.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
I would recommend it if you can get past the trigger.

I actually really like DAO triggers, so this won't be an issue.

And the Northwood trigger helps with that.
Bonus, it got rid of the sting that the tip of the OE plastic trigger gave my finger under recoil.

posted Hide Post
I have a P3AT. For some reason I absolutely love shooting that little pistol. Even though the trigger pull is long and heavy, I really like the feel of it. And a little white paint on the front sights lets me make hits at distance.

I've shot it a lot for what it is. Had the extractor loosen up and ejection became spotty. Tightened it up and all is well.

Metal guide rod hogged out the guide rod hole and the recoil spring popped out the front. Kel Tec said it was a problem on older models. Send it back for a new slide.

I might one day but for now I just opened up the front end of the recoil spring a bit and it is as reliable as ever.

Fun to shoot with Buffalo Bore +P hard cast but I've only done it once or twice. Don't want to blow it up Eek

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
I have a P3AT. For some reason I absolutely love shooting that little pistol.

I have a P-32 (EDC) and my Dad has a P3AT. It's pretty interesting and fun to shoot them side by side at the range to see how they both perform. I wish they could figure out how to make the slide lock back on empty on the P3AT like the P-32 does. As you are never supposed to dry fire these pistols without a snap cap, you invariably end up doing so at the range with the P3AT.

Picture of sixgunner455
posted Hide Post
Had a P11 for quite a while. My brother has a P32, and I picked one up a couple of years ago for an NPE gun.

The P11 plastic sights are much less robust than the GLOCK factory plastic sights.

S&W 59xx and 69xx series magazines will work in the P11, if you want added capacity. They work well. Factory 10 round magazines are MEC-GAR, IIRC, and are robust and reliable.

Mine had a burr in the chamber from a bad reamer. It still worked, but tore up brass. They replaced the barrel under warranty.

Recoil is ... enthusiastic. I would never have gotten a .40 or .357.

I used mine to euthanize a crippled deer, using a Gold Dot JHP. Did the job.

Surface rust required almost daily preventative maintenance.

My G26 is a vastly superior weapon.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Here be Dragons! | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post