SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Python for 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Python for 2020 Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you just want to sit in your recliner in front of the TV and play with it, or post pics of it on the internet, you'll be fine

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What revolver is that?? Just curious, anybody?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is MR. McQueens.

H&R Model 939 “Ultra Sidekick” 22 LR 9-shot revolver with a 6″ heavy barrel

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
that is MR. McQueens.

H&R Model 939 “Ultra Sidekick” 22 LR 9-shot revolver with a 6″ heavy barrel

I'd bet there's little to barely no perceptible recoil with that barrel and length!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan G from Gun Talk had an excellent video review of the new 2020 Python. They compared everything about them to the original. It seems the new one is a much better designed revolver. The changes in metalurgy and manufacturing equipment are clear when listening to the Colt executives. I certainly agree with Mr. Hackathorn in that Python pricing is about to take a serous downturn. He was near brutal to those who bought Pythons as an 'investment'. Ouch. Also like he says, the new Python is better in every way to the original.

Will they also come out with a 'blue' one as well as maybe other finishes? Most assuredly would be my guess.

Enjoy: https://guntalk.com/return-colt-python-gun-talk

Tom G from Gun Talk released a special podcast on Wednesday Jan 1 about the new Python. Sorry, but I don't have a link to the podcast. With whatever smartphone you use, search the Podcasts for Gun Talk and have a listen. On Tom's podcast, they freely admit the reason the gunsmiths at Colt had to hand fit the original Python was due to the manufacturing tolerances being so poor. With the latest CNC equipment, they're able to mass produce to a much higher quality level.

Both the video and the podcast are, as usual for Gun Talk, excellent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TN Mark,

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Aside from the improvements they allegedly made, my chief concern is QC. I wonder how many will get out the door like my 70's vintage Python, where the cylinder wouldn't index with the barrel, right out of the box.

I always get a kick out of Colt's old slogans:

"Quality makes it a Colt."

"A Heritage of Fine Craftsmanship."

"An Investment in Precision."

"Colt Revolvers are known the world over as the perfect arm."

Then you look on the bottom of the box, there's a UAW logo. Eek

That's why I find it particularly amusing to read posts on here from owners of the vintage Pythons and their skepticism of the new models. It really makes me laugh. Big Grin

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see Colt execute this well enough to support bringing out a Python or maybe even a Diamondback in .22 and .327 Federal.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
In the Ken Hackthorn video posted by Oddball, Hackthorn mentions that he thinks the bottom will probably drop out of the value for vintage Pythons. I figure my vintage Python will drop in value about the price of a new one, so in affect, a new one will cost me double. Frown

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
In the Ken Hackthorn video posted by Oddball, Hackthorn mentions that he thinks the bottom will probably drop out of the value for vintage Pythons. I figure my vintage Python will drop in value about the price of a new one, so in affect, a new one will cost me double. Frown

If/When that happens, buy all that come available. Opportunities like that don't come around very often.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think so. I think the new ones are different enough that the old ones will maintain value and increase in value just the same, or even more because a newer shooter buys a new one, then is curious and wants an old one as well. Sort of like a vintage corvette to a new one. Quite honestly a new corvette will smoke a 67' 427 corvette in every performance aspect, but the 67's just keep increasing in value with no end in sight.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't really buy that. I don't think too many old Pythons are bought as shooters. They're bought as collectibles. The collector community is not going to look at the new Python as a 'real' Python. They're going to see it as a different gun, which is not an unreasonable way of thinking about it.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The new Colt wheelie is a Python in name only. It doesn't have the historic lockwork with the fameous bank vault lockup. There has been no menton of the tapered barrel that spawned both the Smython/ Smolt and the Cougar. And I seriousy doubt they are performing the burnishing of the barrel with the mystery tool they used to use. A good shooter? Certanly. They gave it an historic name but it's not the old gun, and I doubt it will have any real effect on the old snake wheel gun values.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
From a collectible value standpoint, I agree with you (as I stated above.)

The kicker in this situation is that it may very well be a better shooter (which I'm defining as being more accurate, more reliable, and having a better trigger) than the classics.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The new Colt wheelie is a Python in name only. It doesn't have the historic lockwork with the fameous bank vault lockup. There has been no menton of the tapered barrel that spawned both the Smython/ Smolt and the Cougar. And I seriousy doubt they are performing the burnishing of the barrel with the mystery tool they used to use. A good shooter? Certanly. They gave it an historic name but it's not the old gun, and I doubt it will have any real effect on the old snake wheel gun values.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
I plan to get one later in the year once the beta testers have a few months to shoot the hell out of their Pythons.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Steve McQueen picture really makes me think casting the guy from Band of Brothers as him in the last Tarantino film was genius.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

When the P210 American came out, did that affect the value of the German and Swiss P210s? Though SIG DE still makes the P210, but no more Swiss. That said, since I can't afford an old Python, I'll buy a new Python just because it's a nice looking revolver without an internal lock. Can't stand the S&W locks. Rugers have locks too, but are hidden inside the grip. Taurus has theirs behind the hammer. Colt learned from them and made the wise choice not to force an integral lock on anyone.

Posts: 841 | Registered: January 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
Man, we are living in some great times. New MP5s, 210s and now Pythons. The only thing I need now is a new P7. Big Grin

If only!
Hopefully H und K will get this message!
(And sell them for less than $1K!)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The factory blurb on the new "Python" seems to be long on hype and short on detail...upgraded metallurgy, etc...but I'd be willing to bet it's a $600 gun with a $1000 pony stamped on the frame. The current Colt revolver offerings I've examined, do nothing to inspire confidence in this newest attempt. But for the guys that gotta have a Colt, no matter what, I hope it works out...truth be told, S&W makes revolvers that have stood the test of time, even the new ones with that cursed IL. YMMv, Rod

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodfac,

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Man, we are living in some great times. New MP5s, 210s and now Pythons. The only thing I need now is a new P7. Big Grin

If only!

I was thinking the same thing about the P7. Colt and Sig have jumped on the plastic fatigue with returns to old wood and metal icons. Well, so did HK with the SP5.
Do we still think it would be prohibitive or unlikely to retool the machinery to start manufacturing a new P7? Why? And what would a new P7 do to current original prices?
(A 7 round P7, heel release, scandium or aluminum frame, front night sight... Or all stainless perhaps...)

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

If only!

I was thinking the same thing about the P7. Colt and Sig have jumped on the plastic fatigue with returns to old wood and metal icons. Well, so did HK with the SP5.
Do we still think it would be prohibitive or unlikely to retool the machinery to start manufacturing a new P7? Why? And what would a new P7 do to current original prices?
(A 7 round P7, heel release, scandium or aluminum frame, front night sight... Or all stainless perhaps...)

A much smaller/lighter/pocket pistol version of the P7. Then you'd really have something there. I love my P7, it's a blast to take to the range, but I don't see where it fits into any useful necessary pistol function compared to a dozen other choices (not enough capacity for it's size/weight etc.).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post