SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Python for 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Python for 2020 Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Gotta say, I'm impressed. I'm not a colt revolver fan but that looks nice. I'm in for a 4" in Ion bond.

As to the nay-sayers, like I saw on another forum: Colt is a gun factory, not a time machine.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hackathorn really forcefully opens that cylinder with a "Pop"! Not really sure that is good for a target revolver. Of course he has more experience than me, but IF that was my new Python I would ask him to please not do that...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
From the Hackathorn video, it appears to be a soft shooting gun. For years, wheel gun shooters have requested & hoped for Colt to revive their Snake guns. To Colts credit, they have & demonstrated they can listen to their followers & possibly fill a market niche. S&W continues to make models with that internal lock that the purists pass over, hurts their bottom & reputation and slaps their followers. My recent revolver purchases have been 3” Ruger variants as I prefer that optimum barrel length. Colt could really get innovative by producing a 3” Python variant. That would really develop some revenue for them. I’ll hold any judgement until I can handle the new Python but I do hope Colt succeeds with these models & business plan. I think the market can & will support them if the quality is there.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 06wrb:
https://tsswarehouse.com/shop/...-walnut-colt-sp6wts/

TSS Warehouse has the 6” python in stock for $1331.

Out of Stock

Posts: 1600 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking, but I'll wait a while longer. Just a matter of time before they bring the Trooper back. Smile I did look at the new King Cobra in 3" last weekend, rather liked it.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want one, all distributors are out from what I see.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it's worth double the price of a 686, but yeah I want one.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The satin stainless was a heart throb. I hope it returns.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I'm getting one this year. My Dad wants one as well. We are both looking at the 6". All my Smith revolvers are 4" (except the J-frames) and I have always wanted a snake gun. I am really excited Colt is making this move.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I will stay with my 2 1/2", 4", and 6" royal blue Colt Pythons from the 1970s.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's nice that Colt did this, but did they update the design? The Colt revolver action has one locking point only - at the rear. Back in the days when people actually shot these revolvers instead of treating them as commodities due to their obscene, undeserved, exorbitant prices, Colt recommended that you send your revolver into the factory at intervals to have the action re-timed. IIRC, it was something like every 1000 rounds, maybe even less than that.

Think about that before you pay 1500 for one of these, because it won't have the resale value of the originals and it's not a durable design. IOW, it's marginal as a shooter and it's not a collectible. If you just want to sit in your recliner in front of the TV and play with it, or post pics of it on the internet, you'll be fine, but, otherwise, think about what I've pointed out before laying out all that cash.

Posts: 107462 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
In the second video, the Colt rep addressed the long term durability concerns of the old Pythons and he claims they have addressed these issues and specifically stated the new Pythons are intended to be shot a lot long term. Whether that actually proves to be true remains to be seen.

I wonder if they kept the tapered bore of the original Pythons.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
Not sure if it's worth double the price of a 686, but yeah I want one.

It worth the price just not to have that stupid lock on the S&W Smile

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They also said specifically that they redesigned the internals. I would not expect lock work anything near he original design. That might not be a bad thing, depending on how they did it and the quality of the parts.

As with basically any new gun nowadays (and despite it's name, and Colt's play to heritage), the very much should be treated as a new gun. I have to wonder how much difference there'll be between this gun and the new King Cobra.

quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
In the second video, the Colt rep addressed the long term durability concerns of the old Pythons and he claims they have addressed these issues and specifically stated the new Pythons are intended to be shot a lot long term. Whether that actually proves to be true remains to be seen.

I wonder if they kept the tapered bore of the original Pythons.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badkarma 1:
SIGN ME UP!
Finally after years of watching the mastery plasyic fantastic roll out of the cookie cutters we have steel and walnut coming out of the forge.
(I'm not dissing the current crop of poly wonders just that it's getting old ya know?)
A few things in the vids peeked my interest, no stack DA pull (YAY) beefed up top strap (?), and the rear sight has a locking ring(?!), can't they just stick the Elliason sight on it?
In any event I'll be watching for posts here on those who get there's before me to see how this one runs, and if I'm one of the first you'll hear about it!
This is gonna be a fun year!
Dale

I originally purchased my Python to shoot, I've always enjoyed shooting one over the years. I had these Millett adjustable white outlined target sights installed that worked out great with excellent sight visibility with the red ramp front sight. Well worth the cost.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is clever marketing. I am sure Colt will sell a lot of guns. I think I will wait until the ordinary Joe who has the extra bucks to spare reports back on the gun. I have to admit their marketing beats Springfields. No Yoga pants here!

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL: I think I will wait until the ordinary Joe who has the extra bucks to spare reports back on the gun.

Other than finding out things like how the cylinder locks (Para's ?) what do you expect to learn from others? Trigger pull is completely subjective, so someone else's opinion is relatively worthless.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other than finding out things like how the cylinder locks (Para's ?) what do you expect to learn from others? Trigger pull is completely subjective, so someone else's opinion is relatively worthless.

^^^^^^^^^
I am not one to impulse buy. Each to his own. Fit and finish is important to me. As I mentioned earlier I would like to hear from someone like Hickok 45 who has more experience than me. I find that I learn from the experiences of others. As I said, Colt will sell a lot of those guns. Let me know if you like the one you buy.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
They also said specifically that they redesigned the internals. I would not expect lock work anything near he original design. That might not be a bad thing, depending on how they did it and the quality of the parts.

As with basically any new gun nowadays (and despite it's name, and Colt's play to heritage), the very much should be treated as a new gun.

Interesting marketing on Colt's part, trying to straddle two worlds; one foot in the past, and one foot in the present/future. By all accounts, the gun has been redesigned a bit, but trying to keep the aesthetics and feel of the original. In this video , the guys from Colt claim they tested the Python with 12,000 .357 magnum rounds. They state no frame stretch or distress, but no mention of lock up and timing.

I'm not in the market for a Python, but this would be a good thing if Colt really did their homework on this one.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16660 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the price comes down, which it will, I can see getting one. They beefed up the frame, changed the internals, how that translates to longevity is the question. My Smiths and GPs will outlast me. Will these?

Still I would like to sit in front of the TV fondling one.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post