SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Python for 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Python for 2020 Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
it's not the old gun, and I doubt it will have any real effect on the old snake wheel gun values.

When the P210 American came out, did that affect the value of the German and Swiss P210s?

There are a billion different 1911s available now, US Property GI 1911s and commercial vintage 1911s aren't worth any less because of it.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by SS:
quote:
it's not the old gun, and I doubt it will have any real effect on the old snake wheel gun values.

When the P210 American came out, did that affect the value of the German and Swiss P210s?

There are a billion different 1911s available now, US Property GI 1911s and commercial vintage 1911s aren't worth any less because of it.

It's not going to have any real effect on the older Pythons value at all. Those guns are still going to hold their value.
04 Jan 2021, you have a used / lightly used BNIB Python for sale, the first question asked is going to be "WHEN WAS IT MADE?"

As far as the "new" ones and the MSRP...
I don't know, $1400 - $1500????
They better be worth it! I wish I snatched up those older guns back in the 80s & 90s when they were much less expensive. As far as these newer Pythons, Im going to have to wait until the verdict is out before I toss $1400 down on one.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by SS:
quote:

Same concept with Colt 1873 “Peacemakers.” Yes, the modern production models command a price. But good pre-war examples command a fair bit more.

Will this lower the price on some of the shooter grade examples of the original Pythons out there since The Walking Dead surged the demand? Probably. Will the value of original Pythons still continue to increase? Probably.

As mentioned, I can buy a new 1911 anywhere, anytime, that is a “better gun in every way” than my 1943 Remington-Rand for less than its worth. But it’d be a new gun, and not a piece of history. My Ruger New Vaquero is arguably “a better gun in every way” than the actual Colt. But it’s not an old Colt, and neither is a Pietta, and any of these options on the market don’t actually devalue the originals.

I respect Hackathorn, but I find it a silly contention on his part.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I haven’t followed it closely, but with the success of the market for the Swiss guns hasn’t softened, and certainly hasn’t plummeted to the cost of a new American.

While here certainly is some substitution effect— guys buying a P210A instead of a Swiss gun, the collectors will still collect. But, importantly, the lower cost gun will introduce the gun to more folks, some of whom will want the collector to pair with their American shooter. Increased supply gets met with increased demand.

As mentioned, the 1911 is another example of this. The vintage Python market might soften somewhat, but I’d disabuse yourself of the hope that you can get a vintage gun for $1500 a year from now.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will wait a year or so and will purchase the new Python. I've been pleased with the new Cobra.

There will eventually be a price correction on classic Python's as they have been in a bubble for quite some time. It remains to be seen if the new Python will be the catalyst that drives the coming correction.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt was nice enough to get the new king cobra on the CA roster and the few I’ve handled in various shops didn’t do anything for me at the price they are asking. I’d love a new 4 inch python if the hype meets up with the truth. I hope colt gets these on the CA roster.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled a new 6" one yesterday. My local dealer got two in. I was very impressed. I will get a 4 .25" one when they get one. If you like revolvers, which I do, I cannot see how the 4" Python is not the best looking revolver on the planet.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like many others, I had a chance to buy a few brand new stainless Pythons in the late 1980's at "close out" pricing. I simply didn't have the money at the time and for many years regretted not owning them as I watched their prices continue to climb. Now, Colt has come out with new Python that, from every professional review I've seen, say it's better than the original Python by every measure.

I'm surprised so many on this thread have thrown cold water on the real life findings of professional gun writers. The ones I've trusted for decades that have actually examined and shot the new Python side by side to an original. Even Colt executives are in videos bad mouthing the original Python as having such poor tolerances they needed to be hand filed to fit correctly.

I don't have a dog in this as I don't own an original Python. Nor do I have plans to buy the newer, better one. But I sure am glad I didn't Pony up the few $2,000 to $5,500 it recently took to get one. By all accounts the first batch of the 4.25" and 6" stainless Pythons have sold out faster than most would have guessed. I suspect the asking prices of the originals will continue to fall at this point.

I fully expect the new Python to be shown or at least talked about at the SHOT Show in its traditional beautiful blue finish. Once that happens, the bottom will likely completely fall out on the original Pythons. It may be good times ahead for those who insist on buying an original Python. Time will tell for sure though.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“The real life findings of professional gun writers”. There is another word for that saying. Shill, prostitute, hired gun, etc. I stopped buying gun rags years ago when I realized these guys were paid liars. I take their opinions much less than I take of the opinions on this very site. Hell, go back two years and read their glowing reviews of the reemergence of Remington and their mighty and wondrous remake of the R51. They lied through their teeth and collected their ad money.

As for Pythons. I will eventually get one of these. I live revolvers and Pythons are neat. If the production ones are much like their cobras I will pass. Colt ain’t that great a company anymore to swallow crap product at over priced pony prices.

The Python market is due for a correction in my opinion. A massive one? No, I doubt that, but they rode a series of waves that artificially increased demand. Walking Dead was not a small phenomenon.

I personally hope these are great guns because Pythons are iconic.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I hope they don't suck. I have always wanted one, and am looking forward to picking one of these up

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I hope they do one in Blue but even if they don't I think I will put one on my list to buy

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Welp, so much for my recent post where I said that I wasn't aware of anything out there that I've got to have.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgun45
posted Hide Post
Just when you think you are out, they pull you back in... Python is my favorite revolver of all time.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up mine today from a local dealer, serial no. 19XX. I didn't even know until three nights ago that Colt was making these again. I was just paging through a gun magazine at bedtime and saw an advertisement, and having regretted selling my 1978 blued 4" Python, which was unfired in the box with all tags, I had to have one. Called a local dealer the next morning to see if they had gotten any, and was told yes, we got one. I asked that they hold it for a few days, which they did, and I bought it today for $1475.

Not being a real big revolver aficionado, I've got to say that the fit and finish on mine is perfect. When I cock it and pull the trigger and keep the trigger pulled back, the cylinder is locked like a bank vault. Everything about it exudes quality. I tested the trigger pull with my Lyman digital and got an average of 8.5 lbs. in DA mode over 7 pulls and 5.5 lbs. in SA mode. It's the best trigger I've ever pulled on a DA revolver, and much better than the Python I sold, which was part of the reason I sold it, as I was not impressed by the DA pull. I'm really looking forward to shooting it tomorrow or Sunday.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the internals are forged, not MIM. This comes from a Colt employee who posted on another forum:
https://www.marlinowners.com/f...ew-colt-pythons.html

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post back after you take it to the range. Nice looking revolver.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Hickok45 did an evaluation on the new Python. He seemed to like it just fine until the cylinder failed to index and the hammer was falling on an already fired cylinder. It’s near the end of the video. Hickok45 new python

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Hickok45 did an evaluation on the new Python. He seemed to like it just fine until the cylinder failed to index and the hammer was falling on an already fired cylinder. It’s near the end of the video. Hickok45 new python

Sorry if this has been covered already.
Starting a little after the 30 minute mark, for those interested.

Posts: 337 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot my new Python this past weekend. I shot 150 .357 and 50 .38 +P. I had a lot of fun and had zero issues with its functioning. If you have the chance to get one at or below MSRP and have always wanted a Python, I'd recommend buying with confidence. Worst case, if it doesn't work right, Colt will fix it.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
Man, we are living in some great times. New MP5s, 210s and now Pythons. The only thing I need now is a new P7. Big Grin

If only!
Hopefully H und K will get this message!
(And sell them for less than $1K!)

I was thinking the same thing about the P7. Colt and Sig have jumped on the plastic fatigue with returns to old wood and metal icons. Well, so did HK with the SP5.
Do we still think it would be prohibitive or unlikely to retool the machinery to start manufacturing a new P7? Why? And what would a new P7 do to current original prices?
(A 7 round P7, heel release, scandium or aluminum frame, front night sight... Or all stainless perhaps...)

A much smaller/lighter/pocket pistol version of the P7. Then you'd really have something there. I love my P7, it's a blast to take to the range, but I don't see where it fits into any useful necessary pistol function compared to a dozen other choices (not enough capacity for it's size/weight etc.).

The P7 wasn't really a strong commercial seller for them, was it?

I could see them doing a run of them for the enthusiast/collector market (ahem, SP5/SP5K) but I'm not sure I see them investing the R&D money to adapt the design to a pocket pistol.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
Man, we are living in some great times. New MP5s, 210s and now Pythons. The only thing I need now is a new P7. Big Grin

If only!
Hopefully H und K will get this message!
(And sell them for less than $1K!)

I was thinking the same thing about the P7. Colt and Sig have jumped on the plastic fatigue with returns to old wood and metal icons. Well, so did HK with the SP5.
Do we still think it would be prohibitive or unlikely to retool the machinery to start manufacturing a new P7? Why? And what would a new P7 do to current original prices?
(A 7 round P7, heel release, scandium or aluminum frame, front night sight... Or all stainless perhaps...)

A much smaller/lighter/pocket pistol version of the P7. Then you'd really have something there. I love my P7, it's a blast to take to the range, but I don't see where it fits into any useful necessary pistol function compared to a dozen other choices (not enough capacity for it's size/weight etc.).

The P7 wasn't really a strong commercial seller for them, was it?

I could see them doing a run of them for the enthusiast/collector market (ahem, SP5/SP5K) but I'm not sure I see them investing the R&D money to adapt the design to a pocket pistol.

I believe it was a strong seller in Europe, but I am not sure.

However, the squeeze cocker system with a relatively light single action trigger is what I would LOVE to see in a smaller .380 carry pistol.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post