SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Python for 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Python for 2020 Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I don't want to be the Party Pooper, but y'all KNOW it ain't gonna be the same, right? Might be good for folks who never owned a Python in the 70's, but for those of us who have had a few over the years, it's gonna be disappointment.

quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Fully understand it will NOT be the same as the old Python.

I see it as a new, hopefully quality revolver.

It might be worse, or it might be the same quality. Or, God forbid, it might turn out better. Until you have them in hands, testing head to head for comparison, you just don't know. Those who poo poo it without objective hands-on experience do it purely on emotion/nostalgia. "Hand fitted, old world craftsmanship", heard it all before.

Anyone still remember the American P210?

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I don't want to be the Party Pooper, but y'all KNOW it ain't gonna be the same, right? Might be good for folks who never owned a Python in the 70's, but for those of us who have had a few over the years, it's gonna be disappointment.

Ken Hackathorn claims he likes the new one much better. I posted this in the other Python thread, seems more pertinent here.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll put my hands on it first before passing judgement. The fact that they're not trying to put it out at a bargain basement price is somewhat encouraging to me. It raises hope in me that they've put money into the manufacturing process.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a stainless guy, try to find an original Python in Stainless, they are rarer than hen's teeth and priced accordingly. I don't see the new one as an exact original. Hopefully it will fix the issue of some of the origionals getting timing issues. What I am hoping is that it is a nice modern day replica of the old one, that only costs an arm and not my entire leg too, and a gun I'm not afraid to take to the range. Same goes for a 210 American once I put hands on one...….

Modern day CNC machines and manufacturing techniques when done right, do a much better job than hand fitting parts that are of various specs on the whole.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Its nice to see a company bring back a truly classic revolver and make it something I would want to buy. Unlike the "model 19" knock off.

This new Python LOOKS like a Python. It is a fine example of everything you need in a revolver and nothing you don't. Wink I hope Colt hits a homerun with their revolver line. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hackathorn had a pretty over the top review. Is he paid for his endorsement? Basically, he states the new gun is better than the old in terms of shooting. I would be interested in the comments of ordinary folks who shoot the new Python.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It isn't reasonable to say the new Python won't be as good. Best to actually get them out there and in peoples hands first.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I've wanted a Python since the '80s, the Feds wouldn't let me by guns back then, I actually had a water gun shaped like a Python, I painted it silver. This is a nice chance at getting a new one. Prefer a blued gun, but maybe the Trooper Mk V I just found can fill that empty part of my soul.

ETA: It's also nice to be able to get a new one so you can shoot the ever loven' crap out of it without destroying a vintage Colt.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I thought the Hackathorn video was very fair-minded and there was nothing “over the top” about it. Is it possible for a modern gun to be better in terms of precision and other features than an old, highly-respected version of the same? Of course. There are countless examples of that regardless of what myths exist today and what nostalgia there is about “hand-fitted craftmanship.” It will also be interesting to see if his prediction about the value of original Pythons holds true.

One thing I found particularly interesting about the video, though, was that he often reverted back to the old revolver shooter’s habit of finger in the guard and on the trigger when handling the gun.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Another video, this one by Colt. Provides some explanations on the new one, with some close up shots of the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...Xuyi6N6KFmhYyqaVCbeo

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought the Hackathorn video was very fair-minded and there was nothing “over the top” about it.

^^^^^^^^
I guess better terminology would have been very strong endorsement. Good point. I would like to see what Hickok 45 has to say about it. The statement that it would cause the older Pythons to lose value had to be disconcerting to owners of the previous Pythons.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I'm really interested in which parts they deleted. The original Python didn't have that many parts, compared to a S&W,to begin with...with many of they doing double duty.

I'll withhold opinion of quality until have had a chance to handle one. With the abilities of CNC nowadays,I doubt the "feel" will be worst. At the worst, it will feel about the same.

Modern CNC S&W revolvers have better actions than the average "older" S&W revolvers...not as nice as the nice ones, but nicer than the run-of-the-mill ones

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I hope to buy at least one, possibly one of each barrel length. Maybe they will make one out of a different type steel which could be sent for royal bluing if they don’t make a royal blue revolver of their own. I would prefer a royal blue python but I’ll take a new stainless for that price for sure, especially since it would mean that I wouldn’t mind shooting it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Not to rain on the Python parade-Colt Royal Blue was a labor intensive buffing and polishing process. I don't think Colt can duplicate that Royal Blue. All the buffing equipment is gone -as well as the craftsmen. Ford's in Florida has been the go to place for a Python to receive a "Colt Royal Blue". Looking at the new Python wood grips --I would guess that Altamont is making them for Colt. Maybe Colt will send out a batch to Ford's to receive a Royal Blue finish. I will be on the lookout for the Python at the LGS.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Would stainless steel take a “Royal Blue” finish of any sort even if the polishing were up to the old standards?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Impressive, and at a very reasonable price considering what some of the previous Pythons are commanding currently. As a current owner of a 6" vintage one, I say good for Colt. And as for those who may purchase one of the new ones, have fun and enjoy them, I always have Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Not to rain on the Python parade-Colt Royal Blue was a labor intensive buffing and polishing process. I don't think Colt can duplicate that Royal Blue. All the buffing equipment is gone -as well as the craftsmen. Ford's in Florida has been the go to place for a Python to receive a "Colt Royal Blue". Looking at the new Python wood grips --I would guess that Altamont is making them for Colt. Maybe Colt will send out a batch to Ford's to receive a Royal Blue finish. I will be on the lookout for the Python at the LGS.

SIGfour me is correct. I posted this in the other Python thread but here's the included link. I heard a lot of good stories about Ford's over the years.

"For those who may ever need a refinish job with the old Colt blue flavor, when I was still posting many years back on the Colt forum, many favored and had great experiences with Ford's in Florida. Here's a link for those who may like to browse. The linked page is where they have a special section on their "Python Project"

LINK>>>>> Fords Colt Python Project

Just an aside. On their Python Project photo's page, if you just click on the photo, to see the many other images associated just click on the right hand side in the middle of the page at the very edge and you can scroll thru the many images of that particular refinishing job. I'm adding this because in my screen after clicking on the image to be enlarged, you cannot see clearly a page scroll mark to click."

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Here's the Ford's link for the Python Project.
https://fordsguns.com/the-python-project

Ford's did a run of Hard Chromed HK PSP's in the past. Excellent refinish job on the PSP.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Man, we are living in some great times. New MP5s, 210s and now Pythons. The only thing I need now is a new P7. Big Grin

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIGN ME UP!
Finally after years of watching the mastery plasyic fantastic roll out of the cookie cutters we have steel and walnut coming out of the forge.
(I'm not dissing the current crop of poly wonders just that it's getting old ya know?)
A few things in the vids peeked my interest, no stack DA pull (YAY) beefed up top strap (?), and the rear sight has a locking ring(?!), can't they just stick the Elliason sight on it?
In any event I'll be watching for posts here on those who get there's before me to see how this one runs, and if I'm one of the first you'll hear about it!
This is gonna be a fun year!
Dale

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post