SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Python for 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Python for 2020 Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree in the slightest.

Hell, apparently S&W saw the same demand, albiet in a larger size envelope.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crue-dell:
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Hickok45 did an evaluation on the new Python. He seemed to like it just fine until the cylinder failed to index and the hammer was falling on an already fired cylinder. It’s near the end of the video. Hickok45 new python

Sorry if this has been covered already.
Starting a little after the 30 minute mark, for those interested.

Wow. Definitely disappointing to see and just knocked my interest in one of these down a few notches to wait and see what happens out in the wild and if this was just some kind of fluke. Unfortunately though, his is not the only one out there supposedly having this issue. Frown

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Hickok45 is not the only one with cylinder problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dJPxXmhtc

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Disappointing. Hopefully, they will fix the issue.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, everyone knows that Pythons are only supposed to be safe queens and 686's are for shooting Big Grin I'm sure they'll fix it, I hope they fix it, as a Python has made it onto my short list of wants.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the new 2020 Python 6" serial number PY0001304 and it is precise and flawless with no issues and is a better shooter than my 12 older Pythons. Many on the Python list believe the "problems" are over blown. I have two of the 2020 Python 4.25" on order and Colt is now shipping.

Posts: 81 | Location: Part of the 14th state that did not ratify to join the Union! | Registered: January 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously a dead cylinder would suck. Past that though they sound like winners. (Easy fix is my guess for those two videos). Great trigger and purty as the day is long. I just can’t decide which length is best.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Well, everyone knows that Pythons are only supposed to be safe queens and 686's are for shooting Big Grin

Don't forget those who'll wear their Rick Grimes hat while posing in front of the mirror Big Grin.

As I posted earlier, I'm not interested in a Python, but I'm starting to step into the Single Action rabbit hole, a whole other can of worms...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Well, everyone knows that Pythons are only supposed to be safe queens and 686's are for shooting Big Grin

Don't forget those who'll wear their Rick Grimes hat while posing in front of the mirror Big Grin.

As I posted earlier, I'm not interested in a Python, but I'm starting to step into the Single Action rabbit hole, a whole other can of worms...

Check out a Pietta. They're pretty reasonable, but a friend of mine bought one that we put 4,000 rounds of .357 through. The blueing, trigger, and action were incredible on that gun. He also had several 3 screw Rugers, which didn't hold a candle to the Pietta in any department.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Looks like there's not much chance of me getting my paws on a new Python unless I'm willing to get gouged on G.B. *Sigh.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless you absolutely, positively, must have one now, I'd wait until the hype dies down, and wait until Colt irons out the possible bugs in production. It's not a limited release, I'm sure they plan to sell as many as they can.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless you absolutely, positively, must have one now, I'd wait until the hype dies down, and wait until Colt irons out the possible bugs in production. It's not a limited release, I'm sure they plan to sell as many as they can.

Holy smokes - how on earth does a company take a gun that they made for 30+ years, and a design that has been more or less perfected for, like, a century, and still muck it up?!? Confused I'm trying to remember if any "new release" in recent memory has been done correctly.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^

Holy smokes - how on earth does a company take a gun that they made for 30+ years, and a design that has been more or less perfected for, like, a century, and still muck it up?!? Confused I'm trying to remember if any "new release" in recent memory has been done correctly.

A lot of it is a new design and they did away with 15 +/- different parts, in an effort to strengthen the old design (and probably make production cheaper). Like every new design, there are usually some hiccups until they get it right.

A python is on my hot list, but I will wait until there's a lot of inventory in the market and prices come down to normal and of course the bugs get worked out!

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:

A lot of it is a new design and they did away with 15 +/- different parts, in an effort to strengthen the old design (and probably make production cheaper). Like every new design, there are usually some hiccups until they get it right.

I guess I'm not willing to give Colt a pass - defects I'm reading about are defects in the barrel crown, light strikes, and failures of the cylinder to rotate. This seems like mighty fundamental stuff. 15 redesigned components seems far short of a full rebuild, and there's nothing that can be convincingly called "revolutionary" in my book when it comes to the design and implementation of a double action revolver, especially one that had 40 years of production behind it already. Maybe this is really all stemming from statistically insignificant, anecdotal incidents of what is otherwise a failure of quality control practices and there's nothing inherently wrong in the design. But, damn... today it's looking like quite the stumble out of the gate on the biggest release Colt has had in how many years???

-ShneaSIG

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Para jinxed it. Yeah, that's the ticket... as Lovitz would say.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:

I guess I'm not willing to give Colt a pass - defects I'm reading about are defects in the barrel crown, light strikes, and failures of the cylinder to rotate. This seems like mighty fundamental stuff. 15 redesigned components seems far short of a full rebuild, and there's nothing that can be convincingly called "revolutionary" in my book when it comes to the design and implementation of a double action revolver, especially one that had 40 years of production behind it already. Maybe this is really all stemming from statistically insignificant, anecdotal incidents of what is otherwise a failure of quality control practices and there's nothing inherently wrong in the design. But, damn... today it's looking like quite the stumble out of the gate on the biggest release Colt has had in how many years???

I agree, they should work and they should hold up right out of the gate.

posted Hide Post
This is only information that has been reported on other forums or in videos that have been posted so take it with a grain of salt.

One source who has been in contact with Colt concerning the flaws found on the barrel crown has reported that Colt has traced that back to the fixture that is used to hold the handgun while the gun is being polished. I'm assuming that the pistol is held by some fixture that has a rod down the barrel to hold the frame while it is being polished. Supposedly that problem is being fixed or may have already been fixed.

As far as the light strikes and failure of the cylinder to rotate, supposedly the only known reports of that were made by a youtube reviewer GoldenWebb and Hickock45. They may be the only two, but then again they may be the only two that have reported it so far.

GoldenWebb's Python is on the way back to Colt for evaluation and so far the status of Hickock45's is unknown. He gets his firearms from Bud's Guns so they will ultimately be responsible for returning theirs to Colt. I'm sure that both of these parties will report any news once they have something back from Colt.

I agree with what everyone is saying, Colt should have worked out the bugs before releasing such an iconic pistol but I'm sure that they will eventually work things out, there's too much riding on it not to. It would be interesting to find out if these were just two isolated incidents or just how widespread this problem is.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
None of this is surprising. Again, it's not a Python. It's a pistol with new lockwork and dimensional changes to the frame, which happens to look like a Python, and the result is as you see. Oh, but it's got a vent rib barrel! (jingling car keys furiously as a distraction)

Those issues should have been discovered and addressed before this revolver was released, but oh, gotta rush and get it out for the Holiest of Holies- THE SHOT SHOW! Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, in my limited sample of one 2020 Python, mine that I purchased last week, it has functioned flawlessly in the 200 rounds I stated I fired earlier in this thread. I hope to be able to fire a couple of hundred rounds more this weekend if I'm not snowed out of accessing our property.

I have not found any cosmetic flaws in mine, either, at least with the naked eye. I suppose if I took a magnifying glass to it I'd be able to find some.

This gun has hands down the best trigger I've ever pulled on a DA revolver, certainly much better than the original Python, which I once owned. For the closest comparison that comes to mind, think of a Beretta 92FS with the D spring installed. Though, with my Lyman electronic gauge this revolver has a pull about 1 lb. lighter.

I don't know if it's worth so much more than a S&W or Ruger revolver, but it doesn't have a lock like the S&W and it has a better trigger pull and a tighter lock up than the Rugers I have. I guess one has to decide for himself whether those differences are worth the price difference.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
Not a Python.

And anybody who thinks it is can come on out and see my band, The Beatles. We're playing all our hits. Tickets are very reasonably priced when you consider that we are The Beatles...

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post