SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Python for 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Python for 2020 Login/Join 
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
It’s different, but it’s made by Colt, and it’s a Python, just like a 2020 Corvette is still a Corvette. Post-64 Winchesters are still Winchesters. Coca Cola is still Coca Cola even though it doesn’t come in the cool old glass bottle. Van Halen is still Van Halen even with Eddie’s fat kid Wolfgang playing bass. If the Python had never been dropped from the catalog and Colt had made these changes (MIM, CNC, lockwork, stupid QRC stamp on the frame, etc.) incrementally, I don’t think anyone would claim it’s “not a Python,” even if they didn’t like the changes.

I am going to buy one, and I hope they sell like hotcakes and breathe life back into a formerly great American company. And I’m going to do a lot of enjoyable things with it that not many owners do with their $4,000 Pythons anymore, like shoot the crap out of it with hot .357 hand loads and carry it around in a holster when I feel like taking it to the woods. However I am going to wait a year or so for prices to settle and the bugs to get worked out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eclayton,

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
^^^
I'm not terribly concerned whether it's a "python" or "not a python." I want it to be a good, sound revolver so I can buy one with confidence and shoot the hell out of it.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgun45
posted Hide Post
I learned wait a year and then buy one. Minor bugs will get worked out, if they are present and price will usually be lower. The cylinder not turning issue is something that should be easy to fix.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When VW stopped making the Beatle for a while and then started up production again, it was still the VW Beatle. Same with the new Colt Python, it’s still the Colt Python. Even better is the new Colt Python is a shooter and more affordable than the older ones.

What commercial product hasn’t changed at all in the past few decades? Each and every component on a number 2 lead pencil is different today than it was in decades past. Guess what, it’s still a number 2 lead pencil.

Do people want a way to justify paying many thousands for the older Colt Python? No idea, I’m never going to buy one of those old safe queens anyway. I get enjoyment from using my tools rather than acquiring a safe queen.

I get it though. People don’t buy a fully restored 63 Corvette for a daily driver either. But to say the new Colt Python isn’t a Colt Python is just beyond silly. It’s like saying a 2020 Corvette isn’t a Corvette.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son is training to be a CNC operator. Programming the machines and running them. Two years worth of classes to get there. Mega-million dollar machines. I own a 1969 6" blue Python so I can appreciate the feel of hand fitted craftsmanship... but it is impossible to deny what IS possible today. There is steel out there that is far better than what we used to have. The CNC machines can make the exact same part to the exact same dimensions... over and over and over. The parts can be so precise that you don't NEED to have some super craftsman carefully filing and adjusting...

I won't be selling my 69 anytime soon. And Colt does have a long history of somehow screwing these things up. BUT... it is possible that the new one is a fine revolver.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -

Posts: 687 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to buy one, and I hope they sell like hotcakes and breathe life back into a formerly great American company. And I’m going to do a lot of enjoyable things with it that not many owners do with their $4,000 Pythons anymore, like shoot the crap out of it with hot .357 hand loads and carry it around in a holster when I feel like taking it to the woods. However I am going to wait a year or so for prices to settle and the bugs to get worked out.

Exactly,

Its quite common some people just have to dislike any new iteration of a historic product, actively looking for a reason to dislike or disparage the new version of a product be it a Colt, Camaro, Harley, generally the more revered the original the greater the disparagement of the replacement.

I wish them success with the new firearm, who would really wish a US Gun Company to fail on a product we need all the support and successful powerful ventures in the industry we can get...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I WANT it to be a good gun. I'm not concerned with the changes as long as the gun works. Sadly, right now it looks like there are some significant issues. I'll wait a year and see if the issues are cleared up and if the price comes down a hair before buying one.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot my old Python often. I usually use 38 special, and I don't holster it. It doesn't hurt them to shoot them if you take care of them. I hope Colt gets the bugs worked out. I will buy one some day if they do.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Have the 4.25" models been released?

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
A followup video from the guy who had cylinder issues in the clip I posted earlier. He also has a screen shot from a shop that is disappointed with other issues.

What is interesting is that this particular Colt Firearms company promo video apparently shows a shooter with the same problem Red Face, starting at 1:40 min.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... I've looked at that failure to fire at 1:40 probably a half dozen times. I'm questioning if the shooter allowed the trigger to fully reset, but in light of the Hickok45 and Goldenwebb videos, you have to wonder.

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eclayton:
It’s different, but it’s made by Colt, and it’s a Python, just like a 2020 Corvette is still a Corvette. Post-64 Winchesters are still Winchesters. Coca Cola is still Coca Cola even though it doesn’t come in the cool old glass bottle. Van Halen is still Van Halen even with Eddie’s fat kid Wolfgang playing bass. If the Python had never been dropped from the catalog and Colt had made these changes (MIM, CNC, lockwork, stupid QRC stamp on the frame, etc.) incrementally, I don’t think anyone would claim it’s “not a Python,” even if they didn’t like the changes.

I agree 100%. But just look at S+W revolvers they had changes their entire run..... each denoted by a different dash number. like the model 19, was up to a dash 8 I think when production finished, so it had 9 redesigns or changes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I picked up a new in the Box King Cobra 3 inch model and when I was cleaning it for the first range trip I noticed the cylinder had a lot of play and actually was off time the cylinder would actually move with the hammer cocked

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tulsamal:
My son is training to be a CNC operator. Programming the machines and running them. Two years worth of classes to get there. Mega-million dollar machines. I own a 1969 6" blue Python so I can appreciate the feel of hand fitted craftsmanship... but it is impossible to deny what IS possible today. There is steel out there that is far better than what we used to have. The CNC machines can make the exact same part to the exact same dimensions... over and over and over. The parts can be so precise that you don't NEED to have some super craftsman carefully filing and adjusting...

Shhhhh. If people know that they won’t have visions of Keebler elves working months on end hand fitting their $4000 1911’s

Yeah yeah I know there’s still hand fitting that needs to be done.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. Well, internet scuttlebutt (and we all know what that is worth...) says Colt has put the brakes on any further shipments of Pythons until the few issues that have made the rounds very publicly on Youtube are investigated and/or fixed if some sort of major or widespread flaw is uncovered.

-ShneaSIG

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tulsamal:

I won't be selling my 69 anytime soon. And Colt does have a long history of somehow screwing these things up. BUT... it is possible that the new one is a fine revolver.

This is not necessarily true. I worked a number of years for the Air Force in PMEL (Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory) and of the numerous items we calibrated and certified, we also worked with CNC machines and CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machines). I can tell you the quality of the products the CNC machine produces is dependent on the operator and corporate policy.

In order for the CNC machine to turn out quality repeatable product, the operator has to stay on top of replacing the tooling (the cutters that mill the product) in a timely manner or they get dull and make chatter marks while milling material. This can affect the dimensions of the parts they produce. Also, the machines need to be serviced and certified on a regular basis.

Further, if the company is truly committed to producing a quality product they won't rely on the CMC machine to produce a finished product without first having the products individually gaged and inspected by their QA using calipers and/or CMM. In the old days they used to use Cordax machines. Incidentally, the critical dimensional measurement should be performed in a Cold Room which is environmentally controlled to 68 degrees in order to maintain dimensional stability as steel changes dimensions based on temperature.

So, it's largely a myth that modern CNC machines will guarantee a superior product. "Craftsmanship" still requires the craftsman and in today's world it also requires ISO 9000 certification and a Six Sigma Quality program. Otherwise, if the company is simply going to buy CNC machines and start turning out widgets, they're likely going to end up turning out products like modern SIGs and the 2020 Python.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered one, a 4".
Actually, I had paid for a Beretta 92x Competition that has been ordered for months.
That one was on order so long that I ended up with a CZ TSO, so....
Probably end up waiting for months for it too.
Lesson to be learned, never pay the full ticket up front.
Frown

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I think I will get one once they become prevalent and any bugs worked out.

A 6 inch version, just looks better to me.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, it's largely a myth that modern CNC machines will guarantee a superior product. "Craftsmanship" still requires the craftsman and in today's world it also requires ISO 9000 certification and a Six Sigma Quality program. Otherwise, if the company is simply going to buy CNC machines and start turning out widgets, they're likely going to end up turning out products like modern SIGs and the 2020 Python.

^^^
Thanks for the information. Makes sense to me.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
My LGS got one in and they could not open the cylinder on it...cylinder latch was not up to par. They eventually got it to open. Hopefully there are not many more like that.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post