SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Python for 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Python for 2020 Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I saw a couple of gun shop Twitter postings of the same thing; locked or extremely rough cylinder release.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Hmmmm. Well, internet scuttlebutt (and we all know what that is worth...) says Colt has put the brakes on any further shipments of Pythons until the few issues that have made the rounds very publicly on Youtube are investigated and/or fixed if some sort of major or widespread flaw is uncovered.

What an opportunity screwed up.
Yeah, I know: Get them out by SHOT, but the lesson of get it right first has been demonstrated so many times.

At least the owners of real Pythons can breathe a small sigh of relief. For now.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I should start a thread with a pic of the Colt factory everyday, like the chair thread in the gallery.

One would think that they would be running say two shifts M-F with Saturday hours as well. In actuality, the parking lot is empty past 5:30 and COMPLETELY empty on the weekends. Those boys aint' building much of anything over there.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, they're not cranking out Single Action Army revolvers, that's for sure.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
On another note, from Colt's interviews at Shot Show, it sounds like there is a bigger frame, bigger bore in the works. No one is committing to a timeframe or using the name "Anaconda," but I think they're hinting that's the direction they'll go, but use this revamped Python's action and trigger mechanism.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^
I'm not terribly concerned whether it's a "python" or "not a python." I want it to be a good, sound revolver so I can buy one with confidence and shoot the hell out of it.

Which is something you couldn't do with the old Pythons. What Jimmy said about buying Pythons to be safe queens and 686s to shoot was true. My dad still has the Python he bought in 1962 from Hudson's Department store on Woodward Ave. in Detroit. He had problems with it at some point and sent it to a guy he was in the Navy with, George Wessinger, to fix. After that, he only shot .38 Specials through it. My dad owns 3 686s and has never worried about them.

I hope Colt gets whatever issues these are having worked out. I'd like to get one.

Posts: 10911 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Any current news on production starting back up or customers service repairs and returns yet?

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Any current news on production starting back up or customers service repairs and returns yet?

I shot a friends old style Colt Python, hated the stacking trigger. Not sure even if they fixed that I would buy one of these, pretty much spoiled by having an 8 shot N frame, mine have enough rounds through them they’re very very smooth and N frames soak up recoil.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

I'm anxiously awaiting news on that also. One of the youtubers who has sent his Python back to Colt for evaluation, at last post said that Colt has had his Python for 2 or 3 weeks now with no word other than Colt has been unable to duplicate the problem.
Hopefully something will come through soon.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
^^^
I'm not terribly concerned whether it's a "python" or "not a python." I want it to be a good, sound revolver so I can buy one with confidence and shoot the hell out of it.

Which is something you couldn't do with the old Pythons. What Jimmy said about buying Pythons to be safe queens and 686s to shoot was true. My dad still has the Python he bought in 1962 from Hudson's Department store on Woodward Ave. in Detroit. He had problems with it at some point and sent it to a guy he was in the Navy with, George Wessinger, to fix. After that, he only shot .38 Specials through it. My dad owns 3 686s and has never worried about them.

I hope Colt gets whatever issues these are having worked out. I'd like to get one.
I did some PPC gun business with George Wessinger. Nice fella but he screwed the pooch on my brand new S&W PPC gun. Had to go to the Pistolsmiths Guild to rectify the matter. He returned my money but ruined a new Model 19. I resold that at a loss. As for the new Python, it appears to have mim trigger and hammer. They dont look the same. This is modern gun making. I simply would not own one.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

It isn't really a problem you'd want rectified.

The reason Pythons had a reputation for not holding up to a lot of use was because of their tight lock-up as their hammers fell...much tighter than any S&W. This was a function of the hand coming up to lock up the cylinder just prior to ignition. This tighter lockup is part of the reason for their generally superior accuracy.

As the action was rigid as the gun was in recoil, the forces involved were transmitted directly to the action pieces...much like a suppressed weapon design to fire from a "locked" action

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Colt continues to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I managed to get my hands on a new 2020 6" python. I never had the pleasure of owning an original, but this "new" python is the nicest pistol I own. The action is silky smooth, the DA pull is nice and even, and the SA is crisp. I shot 125 rounds of 158gr Federal American Eagle through it last weekend, and was so tickled I had to suppress a giggle with every trigger pull.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
I managed to get my hands on a new 2020 6" python. I never had the pleasure of owning an original, but this "new" python is the nicest pistol I own. The action is silky smooth, the DA pull is nice and even, and the SA is crisp. I shot 125 rounds of 158gr Federal American Eagle through it last weekend, and was so tickled I had to suppress a giggle with every trigger pull.

Love the tag line.

The band is just fantastic,
That is really what I think
oh, by the way .......

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Are the 4.25 inch shipping? Are they shipping anything at the moment since the issues arose?

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 I've fired one of the new Pythons; Colt's out of the box action puts every other DA revolver I've fired to shame. However the owner did say he is having some of the reliability issues same as everyone else, so there's that.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
quote:

+1 I've fired one of the new Pythons; Colt's out of the box action puts every other DA revolver I've fired to shame. However the owner did say he is having some of the reliability issues same as everyone else, so there's that.

That's a shame, because I really want one. What irks me is that revolver actions are not rocket science. They've been around 100 years, so how does a company like Colt whose been making revolvers forever, screw this up on their "flagship" revolver release?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the issue is that the guns they use for testing are basically custom made. The problems start when you then try to make 500 a day on an assembly line. Even if the design is the same the manufacturing methods are often different which can create issues such as individual parts themselves being within tolerance but when combined they don't function properly together.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's always the possibility that Colt has decided to copy SIG's business model and depend on customer beta-testing.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ooh, a 6" blued model sounds interesting.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post