SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For the M&P fans, S&W reintroduces the 12 round compact as a 2.0.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the M&P fans, S&W reintroduces the 12 round compact as a 2.0. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Why this didn’t happen sooner I’ll never know.
TTAG 2.0 12 round

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Subcompacts

Glock & SIG = 10
Springfield = 11
S&W = 12
Ruger? = 13?
Taurus? = 14?
Glock + Shield Arms? = 15

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I was a huge M&P 2.0 fan, but this is too late. With the 365, 365 XL and now the Hellcat...I'm "meh" on this.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
So Springfield doesn't have the highest capacity sub-compact anymore?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I was a huge M&P 2.0 fan, but this is too late. With the 365, 365 XL and now the Hellcat...I'm "meh" on this.

Ditto. I got good mileage out of my 1.0 M&P9c in the past, and like the mid-sized 15 round 2.0 Compact as a G19 competitor.

But I no longer have a use for a G26/M&P9c-sized large/fat subcompact, now that there are options like the P365 with the same 12 round capacity and a noticeably smaller footprint.

Magazine compatibility with the larger M&P models is the only real thing it has going for it compared to the P365, but with 15 round P365 mags now widely available, even that is fairly negligible.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking I need to upgrade my sub compact carry as it's a Kahr K9 Elite.
Magazine capacity is low compared to what's available now but none of these seem to excite me or make me want one.
The Kahr is solid metal and while I don't mind polymer, it feels good in a holster and it shoots extremely well.
Maybe I'll put my hands on the Sig and M&P. Springfield is out.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Subcompacts

Glock & SIG = 10
Springfield = 11
S&W = 12
Ruger? = 13?
Taurus? = 14?

Yeah, this is for the M&P fans only.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
(Shaking his head) Natural evolution in the marketplace. Start with a pistol designed to be nothing but compact. Competitor adds a larger, slightly more comfortable grip. Another competitor adds a slightly longer, more usable sight radius. Yet another competitor adds a round to the mag capacity. Original pistol is modified to compete with all of the above. Process repeats until all subcompacts become compacts, then the original maker of the compact comes up with a new model that's shorter, thinner, lighter and has less mag capacity. Rinse and repeat until various marketing firms are more profitable.

Meanwhile, at least one online retailer is selling the Beretta Nano for $199 because, I guess, it's fallen out of fashion.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
25oz according to SW site. Much heavier than the P365 or Hellcat @ 17/18 oz range.

I think it's likely taller too, but no spec.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
25oz according to SW site. Much heavier than the P365 or Hellcat @ 17/18 oz range.

I think it's likely taller too, but no spec.

And wider

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Subcompacts

Glock & SIG = 10
Springfield = 11
S&W = 12
Ruger? = 13?
Taurus? = 14?

I'd compare this more to the P320SC or the P224, which were both 12+1 capacities in 9MM.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I think M&P9c 1.0 fans as well as those that prefer the G26 size pistols in general are going to be really happy this is being offered, but with the angled floor plate of the magazine, you lose nothing with just going with the 3.6 Compact and you gain 3 extra rounds and a more ergonomic, full grip with a flush fit magazine too. I've owned a G26 on two separate occasions including a Gen 5 and try as I might to like them, they just were not for me. Not because they were not accurate or I could not shoot them well, just that it took more effort, concentration, and recoil mitigation technique to do so. So while this one won't be for me either, more choices for everyone in general is not a bad thing.

I have to say that while I thought the time would never come that I would strongly prefer a particular brand or polymer framed gun to another because guns like the M&P, PPQ, Glock, etc have a lot to offer and like as far as their features and individual design nuances, I for one have finally found myself gravitating more and more to the M&P line because they tend to fit my hand better and feel the most ideal to me in form, function, and firing compared to the rest. Doesn't mean the other guns are inferior or that I don't necessarily like them, just that I like the M&P a little more for a variety of personal reasons but most importantly because they fit my hand better, especially grip frame width-wise and I shoot well with them too.

I am a little perplexed though by the rush to be the smallest, lightest, highest capacity pistol of any given caliber because all it really means is significant compromises in other areas such as handling, ballistic performance, recoil, and ergonomics. Comfort has multiple layers in that a gun that is extremely comfortable to carry may not be very comfortable or even a bit punishing to shoot both at the range and in the moment it might become most necessary, distracting the shooter and affecting performance. While most people agree you will care less about comfort in an emergency, it plays a big factor in practicing with your chosen carry gun, not just how it carries.

The only P365 I might consider trying is the XL model but I personally would much prefer to carry an M&P M2.0 3.6 Compact size pistol or even this 12 round Compact, over any offered by the competitors, let alone a regular SIG 365 or Hellcat, BECAUSE of the extra weight the M&P offers and the balance and reduction in recoil you feel in practice and in use, especially should the need arise in a critical moment. It is comforting, at least to me, knowing that I can concentrate more on the basics including sight alignment and trigger control with a middle weight gun than the effort required to control the recoil and getting the pistol quickly back on target of a small(er) gun. Some may prefer to carry a 17 or 18 ounce 9mm but I don't find it likely that most people that carry one of those will shoot consistently as good or better with that class of pistol than a mid 20's equivalent without sacrificing much at all in carry comfort or concealment, and if they do they would be the exception and not the rule. Yes, the lighter pistols serve a purpose and have obviously developed a significant following, I just don't happen to be one of them. Light(er) and small(er) are good to a point and then there are diminishing returns for most if not all shooters, even for those that train vigorously. It's just simple physics.

All in all though, I would expect this to be a pretty good seller for Smith & Wesson so good on them for continuing to expand the M&P 2.0 line.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot my M&Ps better than my smaller guns, that I usually carry. They are 1.0. My two complaints with the 2.0 is although the texture is great far a range/competition gun, it's too aggressive for a carry gun, inside the waistband, and, with the 2.0s they "fixed" the slide release, so the slide won't auto-forward when inserting a loaded magazine with the slide locked back.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is going to be a holster carry gun. Unlike the P365, Shield, G43, and a myriad of others now, there's no pretense about this being even vaguely pocketable. So if someone's carrying it, it's going to be in a holster very likely a belt. For a gun in a belt holster, the prime print point is the back bottom end of the grip. What's happening on the end of the front strap is largely irrelevant to printing. So a short grip gun with a pinky rest extension on the mag is something of the best of both worlds (short grip for concealment with long grip for shootability.) This is why we see a lot of pinky rest mag base plates.

And, of course, if you really want the short front strap on your 12 round M&P (was compact, now subcompact)...

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...006252353?pid=150831

As to your point about people going to far out of their way to get the smallest carry gun possible, the tug of war between power, capacity and shootability on one side and concealability and convenience of carry on the other has been going on as long as people have been carrying guns. Until fairly recently people who lean to the concealability side of the decision have had to go to snubbies (and ususally 5 shot j-frames), and other mouse guns. Yeah, these people should suck it up and carry a "real" gun, but they won't. But now, even these people can carry guns with a full power cartridge and a reasonable magazine capacity. I consider this a good thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I think M&P9c 1.0 fans as well as those that prefer the G26 size pistols in general are going to be really happy this is being offered, but with the angled floor plate of the magazine, you lose nothing with just going with the 3.6 Compact and you gain 3 extra rounds and a more ergonomic, full grip with a flush fit magazine too. I've owned a G26 on two separate occasions including a Gen 5 and try as I might to like them, they just were not for me. Not because they were not accurate or I could not shoot them well, just that it took more effort, concentration, and recoil mitigation technique to do so. So while this one won't be for me either, more choices for everyone in general is not a bad thing.

I have to say that while I thought the time would never come that I would strongly prefer a particular brand or polymer framed gun to another because guns like the M&P, PPQ, Glock, etc have a lot to offer and like as far as their features and individual design nuances, I for one have finally found myself gravitating more and more to the M&P line because they tend to fit my hand better and feel the most ideal to me in form, function, and firing compared to the rest. Doesn't mean the other guns are inferior or that I don't necessarily like them, just that I like the M&P a little more for a variety of personal reasons but most importantly because they fit my hand better, especially grip frame width-wise and I shoot well with them too.

I am a little perplexed though by the rush to be the smallest, lightest, highest capacity pistol of any given caliber because all it really means is significant compromises in other areas such as handling, ballistic performance, recoil, and ergonomics. Comfort has multiple layers in that a gun that is extremely comfortable to carry may not be very comfortable or even a bit punishing to shoot both at the range and in the moment it might become most necessary, distracting the shooter and affecting performance. While most people agree you will care less about comfort in an emergency, it plays a big factor in practicing with your chosen carry gun, not just how it carries.

The only P365 I might consider trying is the XL model but I personally would much prefer to carry an M&P M2.0 3.6 Compact size pistol or even this 12 round Compact, over any offered by the competitors, let alone a regular SIG 365 or Hellcat, BECAUSE of the extra weight the M&P offers and the balance and reduction in recoil you feel in practice and in use, especially should the need arise in a critical moment. It is comforting, at least to me, knowing that I can concentrate more on the basics including sight alignment and trigger control with a middle weight gun than the effort required to control the recoil and getting the pistol quickly back on target of a small(er) gun. Some may prefer to carry a 17 or 18 ounce 9mm but I don't find it likely that most people that carry one of those will shoot consistently as good or better with that class of pistol than a mid 20's equivalent without sacrificing much at all in carry comfort or concealment, and if they do they would be the exception and not the rule. Yes, the lighter pistols serve a purpose and have obviously developed a significant following, I just don't happen to be one of them. Light(er) and small(er) are good to a point and then there are diminishing returns for most if not all shooters, even for those that train vigorously. It's just simple physics.

All in all though, I would expect this to be a pretty good seller for Smith & Wesson so good on them for continuing to expand the M&P 2.0 line.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post