SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 IDPA match report: my attempts to speed up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 IDPA match report: my attempts to speed up Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Report: IDPA local match yesterday. Placed 3rd of 16 overall SSP, 6th of 40ish total, first in SSP Expert. I was able to shoot in the same squad as the guy who wins everything. It was good to see exactly where I'm losing time. Reloads, movement, stage planning. He's a gamer (within the rules) and due to efficient interpretation of the stages he was 30 seconds ahead of me after 2 stages. I screwed up with assumptions in my reading of the stages and also had a couple of light strikes (tired mainspring) and failures to lock back (my fault) but it was an eye opener. On a couple stages I was a bit ahead or within a second of his times, but at the end of the match he was 50 seconds ahead.

However, this is the most telling. I was 9 points down at the end, and he was 8. So not only was he way faster, but also more accurate.

I kept feeling my mental block against going "too fast" and it obviously cost a lot of time. I have started shooting Bill Drills and am saving for a shot timer. I'll keep working on it.

In other news the new 5x5 classifier SEEMS easier but I still didn't break into Master, with a 20.60 final score with one point down. Fast guy shot 18 something final with one point down.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
But you were shooting a 226. That alone should shave 90 seconds on the cool factor. Wink

Great work!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great shooting if you were only 9 seconds down overall,

The accuracy is there now you need to work on the little things that add to your time, like ammunition and gun reliability

At the same time - While working on pulling the trigger faster

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I maybe speaking out of turn, but the short reset trigger mod might help.... other than that it is just mental.... don't know why you had the problems you did with the p226,,, I've run a couple thousand through one with not one hiccup.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
But you were shooting a 226. That alone should shave 90 seconds on the cool factor. Wink

Great work!

^^^ This for sure.

I shoot a 226 in USPSA and steel matches, even won my division and 2nd overall with mine back to back matches once. Usually 40-60% shooter though depending on competition.

I've not seen a 226 in another shooters hands in a very very long time. Fiancee shoots her SP2022 and I shoot my Legion, people always ask what we are shooting, they always are shocked when we tell them.

1k, I hate to tell you this, but you'll never be good shooting that impossible to learn DA/SA trigger, you might as well give up. Wink

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot IDPA and USPSA and at the age of 73, it's getting hard to keep up with the younger gamers.

Here's some food for thought: The match director set up some hidden blind stages, where you can't see the setup, before you enter to shoot. As an example, we had a theater, we lots of no-shoots, with a few bad guys mixed in, some off to the sides, hard to see, in a dark environment. Guess who missed some of the bad guys, which stopped your stage right there, as you were considered dead. It was the gamers, who tried to blow right through. It was a real eye opener.

Posts: 22 | Registered: April 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agksimon:
I shoot IDPA and USPSA and at the age of 73, it's getting hard to keep up with the younger gamers, but in real life, being observant can make you the winner.

Here's some food for thought: The match director at a defensive pistol shoot, set up some hidden blind stages, where you can't see the setup, before you enter to shoot. As an example, we had a theater, we lots of no-shoots, with a few bad guys mixed in, some off to the sides, hard to see, in a dark environment. Guess who missed some of the bad guys, which stopped your stage right there, as you were considered dead. It was the gamers, who tried to blow right through. It was a real eye opener.

Posts: 22 | Registered: April 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Great job! Another DA/SA Posse member!

Personally, I think you might be focusing on the wrong areas in which you can "speed up".

I would humbly submit the "most telling" thing was you were 50 seconds behind the match winner, not that he was one less point down than you.

Clearly the accuracy is there for you, but .18 splits won't win you a match if you're 10 seconds slower on every stage. It's more about efficiency of movement than anything else. That's where I would focus my efforts. It's everything from when and where you reload (sometimes a target might need an extra round to insure it's zero down - oh look - am I at slide lock right before a drop turner? Wink Big Grin) to going left instead of right first.

This might help with the slide lock...

If it makes you feel any better, I once shot a match with my 2022. Out of 6 stages, the slide locked back only twice. Cost me at least 4 overall spots. After that match, I doubled my efforts to watch my thumb placement. The Band-Aid tricks seems to work better for me as it's tactile. Some DA/SA shooter at our matches put a marker dot on their weak hand as a visual ref.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've watched that video several times and have reposted it several times in response to people claiming their slide lock lever or followers were defective. I just forget to properly place my thumb once the buzzer sounds. Big Grin

Movement is definitely something I need to improve.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

Position entry, exit and transitions are the low hanging fruit for most people.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

Position entry, exit and transitions are the low hanging fruit for most people.

I'm not so great of a shot, but I'm good at planning how I'll shoot a stage, when I'll reload, taking easy shots while moving. It let's me beat people who are better or even faster shooters because I don't waste as much time as they do.

I always reload if I'm moving, just doing that helps a lot. I have so many times seen someone moving 15 yards across a stage take two shots, reload and take their final few. I just shake my head,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that your accuracy is there, and now you need to work on speed.

I used to shoot with one Glock shooter whose philosophy was to hose every match. He figured once in a while he would get lucky and win.

I also shot with a local LEO who is now SIG instructor. At that time he was shooting a DA/SA Beretta. He was wonderful to watch. He was accurate, but seemed really slow - until you saw the time. While others had fast jerky movements, e was so smooth and efficient that he almost looked to be moving is slow motion, except that he wasn't.

My goal was to approach that level of efficiency. I could do it once in a while, but could never do it consistently.

My point is that DA/SA is not the barrier people seem to think it is. Real speed is achieved elsewhere.

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agksimon:
I shoot IDPA and USPSA and at the age of 73, it's getting hard to keep up with the younger gamers.

Here's some food for thought: The match director set up some hidden blind stages, where you can't see the setup, before you enter to shoot. As an example, we had a theater, we lots of no-shoots, with a few bad guys mixed in, some off to the sides, hard to see, in a dark environment. Guess who missed some of the bad guys, which stopped your stage right there, as you were considered dead. It was the gamers, who tried to blow right through. It was a real eye opener.

I really, really wish this was the standard for this type of event. Sounds like a blast.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Another thing that might help is having someone video your runs with your phone, or use a GoPro or similar camera.

You'll be amazed the things you'll catch yourself subconsciously doing that cost a few seconds here and there.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post