SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    advice on purchasing a revolver
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice on purchasing a revolver Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
my gp100 does everything I need it to do ( for 20 years)

but I am not afoot ,in the out back by my lonesome either.

I would be checking out the 5 inch Ruger redhawk .44 mag, for carry .

now if you are with a vehicle or horse, then thats differant

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP100 if you want a really tough but excellent quality revolver for carry around the ranch.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I carry and shoot 357 a lot. I would try to keep the weight down somewhat. The LCR are a bit to light for full power 357. Something like a Ruger 3" or 4" SP101 if 5 shots will work for you. Or something like a S&W Model 19 or 66 in a 4 ". Are easy to shoot well. The GP100 and 686 get a bit heavy carrying them all day.

Load it with 357 federal 158 grain Hydra shok JHP and it work fine for pigs or 2 legged varmints.

This (federal 158 grain Hydra shok) is a formidable load for 357 even with a 2" barrel.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
I am little surprised no one suggested a cowboy action style.

With a single action revolver, you cannot easily pick between shotshells and regular cartridges. A swing-out cylinder is much more convenient for your stated purpose.

Thank you. That makes a lot sense.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My vote is for Ruger LCRx, 3 inch barrel.

The triggers on these are really good:

This...it is light weight...durable (polymer, alloy, stainless steel barrel and cylinder with a PVD finish) and it really shoots well. I know it's a .38+P and not a .357...but it is so handy that when I venture out into the woods, it's with me. It's the only revolver in it's class that I like better than the J frame Smiths I have owned. The grip and 3" barrel and trigger are a plus. It may not stop a pissed off bear...but in my 65 years on this earth, I've never encountered a bear, pissed off or not, except in a vehicle Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Smith and Ruger revolvers, and have previously owned Dan Wesson’s too. All the advice in this thread is good (though varied). If you made me condense down to one “do it all” handgun, I would likely have a 4 inch barrel 686. If I were going to be on and off tractors and such I may go with a chest rig instead of a belt rig, but could go either way.

For carrying a lot, and shooting very little it is hard to argue with the lighter weight choices out there.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, a Smith K frame in 3" or 4" is the perfect revolver. Do you want .38 or .357?

Unless you shoot a lot of .357 out of it, it will last forever. They are light and handy. Easy to carry.

Good to great triggers, and feel like a dream in your hand. They are also beautiful.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Here are some things to look for:
1. push off- If you can cock the hammer, and push it into discharge without pulling the trigger
2. end shake. The cylinder should lock up tight when you close it, the cylender should not wobble hardly at all.
3. Bent extractor rods.
4.If the hammer and trigger are blue, the gun has been reblued, and not at S&W. S&W reblues will have a stamp B under the stock panel
5. Make sure the barrel, cylinder, and frame on the butt have the same serial number.
r. Pulling the trigger carefully in double action, you should be able to stage the cylinder and hold it before the hammer drops on at least 4 chambers.
5. The turn line should be even all around the cylinder, and the locking notches should should not be hogged out . a 586 should lock up like a bank vault when you close it.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read LtJL's post a time or two it's great advice on buying a used revolver.

I'm a Smith 686 fan myself, I've been using a 686-3 since the late 90 with handloads, magnums, etc. without issue. If I hadn't picked it up used I probably would have purchased a Ruger GP100.

that said you have to ask yourself a couple questions about how you are going to use it/carry it.

Take carrying it for example.

While both the 686 and GP100s are great guns but they are relatively heavy. The 686 is around 39 onces with a 4 inch barrel and the GP 100 is around 40 onces with a 4" barrel

The Smith 66 (6 shot .357) is around 36 ounces with a four inch and the 5 shot Ruger SP101 is 27 ounces with a 3" Barrel. The Gp100 can be had with a 3" barrel at 36 ounces. If you can find a used Ruger Speed Six, Security Six or Service six, they might be worth checking out.

While weight can be dealt with using a good belt and holster, An overly heavy pistol runs the risk of being left home instead of carried.

I can't really comment on the use of snake shot as I don't/never use it.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a hankering for a wheel gun a few years ago. So I of course started by looking at the 686. I was a little surprised at the cost. That made me look at the GP100. There's no real significant difference between them, if you ask me. They're both great revolvers. I did think the 686 trigger was a bit nicer than the GP100. But I didn't think it was over $100 nicer.

In the end, I held out long enough where logic won out and I decided not to buy either because neither filled a need for me. They would've just been a range toy, and probably not shot more than twice a year. So it wasn't worth it, for me. Had I bought, it would've been the Ruger. But you won't be unhappy with either.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry109:
Need some wisdom on purchasing a revolver. I am looking for something to carry around the ranch that will allow me to have a couple of rounds of snake shot and then a few rounds for pigs or 2 legged varmints. I am think a 4 inch barrel. Used or New, looking to spend between $600 to $1000. Have looked at the Tarus Judge, but that is one ugly looking firearm. What would be a good one?

Although I have no experience with it, the Smith & Wesson Governor .410/.45 ACP/.45 LC Revolver seems to fit the criteria.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
4" gp100.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Save some money. Bud's has French police S&W Model 10s for $269 shipped to your FFL. Should be adequate for your walking the range purposes and for that price you could even buy two and keep the nicer one.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A GP100, S&W 686, or 686+ should ideal for what you need. I'm most partial to the S&W guns, but have been happy with the GP100's I've owned over the years as well.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have much the same carry/use requirements here in KY on our farm. Daily wear requires a gun which doesn't weigh you down for all day carry but it's still got to have enough smack for stock or pest removal or for personal defensel.

To do those things it needs enough barrel to give a good sighting opportunity. A 4" barrel revolver with adjustable sights is just the ticket.

A good, high riding OWB holster will keep the gun out of your ribs while on ATV, Tractor, Pick-up, or booted and spurred on your favorite mount.

A .357 will cover your needs nicely in all regards. Bullet weights from 110 gr to 180 grain are available plus over the counter shot loads for use on the trail or in the barn.

And the best of that breed, are S&W M-19's. They're K-frames that'll be worth their initial cost long after you're gone. Their light weight is just enough to handle full house .357 loads when called for, but will plant .38 Special wadcutters into nice little 1" clusters at 25 yds for small game or pests. They've got it all, and can be found used in great shape for $700....The S&W M-66, the SS twin brother will do the same and needs less upkeep in wet weather.

If you can handle the increased recoil of the .44's, S&W's new Model 69 in .44 Magnum will do the same chores, albeit with 5 rounds instead of six, but in the same weight of gun. I have one, carry it often and find it as accurate as my M19's. With full house loads in .44 Magnum, it's a handful, but try it with some of the available 200 grain JHP's and you'll like it immediately. For lighter carry use, .44 Special loads are available, but you'll do better down loading with a good hand loading setup. It's what I do with all my pistols...tailoring the loads to the gun's wants and my needs.

Your choice, but for me, one of the above is a no-brainer. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Save some money. Bud's has French police S&W Model 10s for $269 shipped to your FFL. Should be adequate for your walking the range purposes and for that price you could even buy two and keep the nicer one.

I almost bought one last week when I was at the Sevierville TN store...kinda worn/rough on the outside from uncaring carry...but I'll bet less than 1000 rounds through the revolver (but those rubber grips are fugly Big Grin ).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O.K., I know the Smith & Wesson Governor looks kind of ungainly but that would be my recommendation. I love mine but i also love my 686 and 69.

For your stated purposes, the Governor will do. It's intimidating as all get out too.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:

The S&W Model 10 is another great recommendation. At this price, it is an easy way to get introduced to the joys of revolvers.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Larry, I assume concealment is a non-issue. I don't know how much of an issue weight is. If it isnt, this could work...

https://www.smith-wesson.com/f...pro-series-model-627

It may be a bit of a race gun starting point, but it ticks a lot of your boxes, with better than expected capacity

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote? A Smith 686 without the lock-4 inch barrel.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post