SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    advice on purchasing a revolver
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice on purchasing a revolver Login/Join 
posted
Need some wisdom on purchasing a revolver. I am looking for something to carry around the ranch that will allow me to have a couple of rounds of snake shot and then a few rounds for pigs or 2 legged varmints. I am think a 4 inch barrel. Used or New, looking to spend between $600 to $1000. Have looked at the Tarus Judge, but that is one ugly looking firearm. What would be a good one?

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
S&W 686 or 627, Ruger GP100 or Redhawk, all in 357 Magnum.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
If I was going revolver, it would be something from Ruger in the GP100 and Redhawk series or S&W.

What caliber are you looking at getting chambered for? S&W has more model choices and are good guns, Rugers are built like tanks, at least they used to be.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
S&W 686 or used 19/65, Ruger GP100.

357 Magnum with 38 shotshells.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100, but stay away from the 7-shot GP-100 - there are issues extracting certain brands of ammo. 6 shot GP-100 is as reliable as an anvil.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:
If I was going revolver, it would be something from Ruger in the GP100 and Redhawk series or S&W.

What caliber are you looking at getting chambered for? S&W has more model choices and are good guns, Rugers are built like tanks, at least they used to be.

Probably .357 Mag, but I am open to other choices.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101 was the best shooting pistol I've shot. I could just point at things and hit them.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
S&W 686 or 586 as the L frame is a solid pistol in 357 Mag. I would also recommend the 6 inch barrel for better accuracy and slightly faster velocity.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fyimo:
S&W 686 or 586 as the L frame is a solid pistol in 357 Mag. I would also recommend the 6 inch barrel for better accuracy and slightly faster velocity.

I was thinking about the 4" barrel as it will be on my hip all day while working about the weekend ranch. Getting off/on tractor, working on fence, working in the garden etc. Was thinking that small package would hang up on things a bit less. I am already a "wide" body guy.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My vote is for Ruger LCRx, 3 inch barrel.

The triggers on these are really good:

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
My father has a long barrel SP101, it doesn't provide much bulk.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shotguns kill with pattern not power.
Therefore the more shot you can put out the better. If you don't want one of the .410 monstrosities, CCI makes .44 Special and .45 Colt shotshells with 140-150 gr of shot. The .38 only has 100.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Very strongly agree. .44 or .45 Colt. There are 5-shot .44 Special GP100s floating around these days.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
All of the above.

GP 100,
LCRx 3"
S&W 686

These are just my Rugers

DSCN1853 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If the "Judge" is out, and along with it, 410, I'd say a 6+"ish barrel 44mag using CCI shot-shells. Shorter barrels suck when using small shot because they pattern too large.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Looks like S&W 686 and the Ruger GP100 are the favorites. I will reconsider a 6" barrel. I am little surprised no one suggested a cowboy action style. Will be going to a gun show this weekend and check out all the suggestions.

posted Hide Post
Add me to the roster of GP 100 advisors.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am little surprised no one suggested a cowboy action style.

With a single action revolver, you cannot easily pick between shotshells and regular cartridges. A swing-out cylinder is much more convenient for your stated purpose.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve killed numerous rattlers around my cabin and barn with a 2” barreled J Frame and CCI snake loads. And several with a .22 Magnum “Black Widow” mini revolver and CCI snake loads. I wouldn’t want to habitually carry a heavy ass shooting iron like a 6” L or N Frame S&W while trying work on fences, move irrigation, and etc.

I second a three inch LCRx .38, very lightweight and handy.

YMMV.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love revolvers. Started with S&W and skipped Colt and then Ruger. My favorite revolver I have ever owned, by a long shot, is my Wiley Clapp edition Ruger GP100. I swapped some springs and shot it a metric ton and it is a sweet 3 inch revolver. 3 inches is about the sweet spot for most revolvers in my opinion.

My second favorite is my newest. A S&W 627 Pro Series. I also swapped out a spring (trigger return I believe is the name), took out lock and added plug. Swapped front sight to fiber optic. 20 dollar smooth rubber Hogue. 8 shots of love. First couple snake shot still leaves you some room for the real stuff.

If you go snubby, I love my 640 Pro. Just for the upgrade to good sights alone makes it worthwhile.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post