SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 or 19 for a red dot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 or 19 for a red dot Login/Join 
posted
I’m getting a vortex viper mounted on my Glock, I was going with the 19 because I plan to carry it. But I really like the 17 and I got myself second guessing my first choice. Either gun I will carry in a owb holster. What are your thoughts on which gun to mount it on. Thanks

Question:
Viper on the Glock 17 or Glock 19

Choices:
Glock 17
Glock 19

Posts: 366 | Location: north east, ohio | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Are you using an MOS slide or having one milled? Bit more of a "commitment" if you're having it milled.
That said, I'd go with the 17 if it were me, regardless, especially for OWB carry.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to go for the longest slide I could manage under the theory that for iron sights that makes a difference. I've a collection of 34's as a result. But with a red dot slide length is simply not a relevant factor and in 9mm barrel length isn't a factor here either. I'd do the 19 its much more versatile.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be getting the slide milled.

Posts: 366 | Location: north east, ohio | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I will always find the compact frame easier to carry than the full size. I've done the MOS, but I'd likely have a slide milled the next time around if I do another Gen4 or earlier with a RDS. The extra MIM mounting plates look cheesy sandwiched on the gun and boy, do they crack when dropped.

Exception would be a Gen5, where I actually prefer the G17 over the G19. The full size just feels better in hand to me, and with the shorter length of pull I don't notice the 'hump' of the back strap like I do with Gen4 and earlier guns. Plus I already have way too many G19s in earlier generations. But because of the factory nDLC coating (my body chemistry makes non-Tenifer treated Glocks RUST like crazy) in Gen5 I would stick with a MOS version if Glock actually sold it. Having a slide milled then properly and completely refinished for corrosion protection, AND buying the RMR on top of that...no that kind of free wheeling spending ain't happenin' at this point in my life.

Here's hoping and waiting, all because my eyes have grown to adjust and like the RMR on my Gen4 G19 MOS over conventional irons.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have 2 G19’s with RMR’s and one 17. I like the 19’s more

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already had a 19 and 26 with factory night sights. So I bought a 17 MOS to play around with a red dot. I was going to get a 34, but the extra sight radius doesn't help with a red dot. And I didn't have a 17, so there you go...

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Glocks 17's with RMR's slides which are used for target shooting. My Glock 19 has night sights and trigger work only. Here are two photo of two with glocks MOS and two with upgraded slides..
https://flic.kr/p/X9nEei
https://flic.kr/p/Zx7mf6

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about going with black sights because I was thinking having a bright front sight would be distracting when look at the red dot. What would you guys with experience suggest going with?

posted Hide Post
In in my carry rotation, I use a G19 (Gen 4) with a Trijicon RMR and Dawson Suppressor sights within a Raven Concealment holster. A few occasions this winter, I’ve carried my Gen 5 G17 but not often. I’m carrying my G43 even more G19...

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use steel supressor sights. Do not have a i-dot or big dot or any dots on your front or rear sights if employing a Reflex sight on your pistol. My .02

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Agree with that comment about plain steel sights. My G19 has unadorned black suppressor sights. No added visual noise to confuse my already challenged mind...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are going to carry it you want tritium suppressor sights. They aren't confusing and when the dot is a problem you have a working backup.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post