SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 vs. P229-1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 vs. P229-1 Login/Join 
posted
I did a quick search, and I didn’t find anything on the topic. I hope I didn’t overlook anything.

Is the grip size the same for the 228 and 229-1 even though the mags are different?

Thinking of getting a SIG as a carry gun.

Posts: 361 | Location: Keystone State | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ergonomically imperceptible as the difference is the interior of the magwell on the -1 itself. You will feel a difference if you use the E2 grip in lieu of the two piece panels.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say for a carry gun, the E2 grips are amazing and thinner. I seem to have a better grip with them. Either pistol will serve you well for ccw, h.d.,etc..

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I agree with the previous statements about the E2 grip. I have the E2 on all three of my 226s and my M11A1.

As for the 228 vs 229-1, the 228 has the folded-steel slide while the 229 has the milled stainless. The 228 mag well is set to accept the 13-round 228 magazine while the 229-1 will accept the larger (slightly modified to hold 15 rounds) magazine.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Yes, the external grip frame dimensions are the same and the grips are interchangeable. Note the P228 grips that came on the original M11-A1 which is basically a P229-1.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know there are many threads that show people dislike the E2 grips.

I personally can't live without them.

For me, the E2 with the short reach [and short reset] trigger is the perfect combo, as my trigger finger is just about 1/8" too short to work the DA and SA pulls without shifting my grip on a standard grip P series.

I have the P220 and P226 with the E2, and won't go back.

That said, I wish they were a bit different, but I need that thinness to control the pistol the way I want to.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the e2 up until I fire it. I guess it might be too thin. I like the hogue g10 checkered grip. The only 2 things I would like
On the grip is front checkering and that little notch on the drip up near the trigger guard
They would give my big mitts a little more hold

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, physically I can't really tell that much difference between the two when handling them. Some have said that they can distinguish how the folded slide of the P228 feels compared to forged stainless steel slide of the P229, but aside from the serrations and obvious mechanical differences, they handle pretty much the same to me.

As for grips: I like the E2 on the compact P229 well enough, but I didn't care for it on the lone P226 of mine that I tried it with for a few months many years back. I also remember complaining back in the day on the forum about how that particular E2 unit was not quite shaped correctly and had one edge that wouldn't seat tightly to the gun's frame. I don't think that I ever did get around to trying to take some heat to it to reshape the thing; it just felt too cheapish and flimsy for the Elite Dark that wore it. I think I ended up giving it away to a customer.

My P228 and my P229s wear various 2-pc grips. Some G10, some wood, some Hogue rubber. Even with my very small hands all are very usable and don't present any ergonomic obstacles for me that don't already exist, even if I had a E2 grip on any the guns (the mag catch reach with my short thumb, for instance).

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Sig's M11-A1 9mm. It is my current carry gun of choice. It's about the same size as the
P229, but does not have the light-mounting rail.
I have a decent collection of Sigs, Smiths, Rugers,
but this M11A1 just feels right as my everyday carry gun.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 228 to all other Sigs except maybe the West German 226s with the old style grips. I have a 229 and like it, but it's not a 228. In my opinion the 228 is the Great White Shark, it was born perfect and didn't need to evolve.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
P228 vs. P229-1

What is the difference between the Sig P228 and P229?
It's either 1 or -1, depending on which is the minuend and the subtrahend.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billythekids:
quote:
P228 vs. P229-1

What is the difference between the Sig P228 and P229?
It's either 1 or -1, depending on which is the minuend and the subtrahend.

I don't know that much about SIG pistols, but I know even less about this advanced math. Smile

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post