SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Member and have questions re Sig P226 Extreme vs Scorpion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Member and have questions re Sig P226 Extreme vs Scorpion Login/Join 
Picture of ducatiti
posted
Hello All,

New to Sig and to handguns in general. For the past four months, I have acquired the following so far:

Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless 45ACP, Beretta 92fs Inox, & Glock 17 gen 3 OD

I came in my local dealer here in a California to pick up a M9A1 I have been waiting for... no other shop locally have them on stock or access to.

Then I stumbled upon the P226 and they felt really good in my hands. I'm trying now to choose between the Extreme and Scorpion.

Best pricing given to me is $1100 & $1200 respectively.

Besides the bigger beavertail and obviously the color, are there any other advantages spending $100 more?

I also have a question about the 10 round magazines. I've been looking online and they mostly have the big plastic magazine base that extends inches up the magazine. I believe the ones that come with the firearm don't. Any advantages for the ones with the oversized magazine base plate like the ones Mec-Gar offers?

Lastly, how is the cerokote coating's durability on the Scorpion?

I will give it a day to think about it but definitely passing on the M9A1 considering I already have a 92fs Inox. M9A1 looks so sexy in person though.

Note: I've been craving for an all black gun since I don't have one yet =) FDE looks so good though!!

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Posts: 56 | Registered: June 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Welcome. You have some great pistols so far.

The Extreme comes with the short reach trigger, right? That might be one factor to consider. I personally don't fancy the large beavertails but you may. I don't really like tan pistols but you may.

Get whichever one you like best... they'll both be excellent pistols.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3207 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure about pricing in Ca, but that would be real high just over the border up North. Maybe it's a Ca thing. I dumped a 92 long time back and like you favor the P226 over it (you results may vary of course). Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you might also look around a bit. Pawn shops in this area often are selling old school West German P226s. Excellent pistol, and the price is @ 1/2. Good luck with whatever you get and welcome to Sig land:-) I also sold my Glock 17, reason was trying to focus on one trigger style so I could be proficient. The Sig SA/DA is a different feel, and that's what I settled on trying to practice the most. Now I have too many!

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard! Either gun would serve you well. But consider this: Look for a used plain jane P226.
Then: Ship it Sig for one their custom tunes.
Or: Ship it to one of Sig Forums acknowledged Sig magicians. The Sig Armorer or Gray Guns.
Not only will you get a fantastic gun, you may save money which you can roll over into ammo or other stuff.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Scorpion but do have several 226's and the Extreme is a great gun. The hogue grips and short reset trigger are awesome. As others have said, you might be able to find a used one for a lot cheaper, or even find a new one on gunbroker. I recently bought a brand new 226 for $600 on a penny auction on gunbroker, had it shipped to Lazy Wolf guns directly for new sights, trigger job, etc. for a little over $400 bucks. So for about the price my local store would charge me just for the gun, I get a brand new gun with a full upgrade. Something to consider. But, to answer your question, the 226 extreme is a great gunSmile Welcome and congrats on your awesome collection.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd go for the extreme over the scorpion, and a nice used over both but being CA who knows what you'd pay for a used gun.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ducatiti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
I don't have a Scorpion but do have several 226's and the Extreme is a great gun. The hogue grips and short reset trigger are awesome. As others have said, you might be able to find a used one for a lot cheaper, or even find a new one on gunbroker. I recently bought a brand new 226 for $600 on a penny auction on gunbroker, had it shipped to Lazy Wolf guns directly for new sights, trigger job, etc. for a little over $400 bucks. So for about the price my local store would charge me just for the gun, I get a brand new gun with a full upgrade. Something to consider. But, to answer your question, the 226 extreme is a great gunSmile Welcome and congrats on your awesome collection.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I pulled the trigger for the Scorpion. So excited! As mentioned, I still don't have a black gun lol. Maybe the next one Smile

Posts: 56 | Registered: June 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post