SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question Re: Unusual COLT Government Model Serial Number Font (Edit w/ Full Image)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: Unusual COLT Government Model Serial Number Font (Edit w/ Full Image) Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I recently stumbled upon this peculiar Colt serial number. A quick search on the Colt serial number look-up page identifies it as belonging to a 1970 production Colt Government Model though the font and engraving appear to be of a much more modern style. I've personally examined dozens of Colt Government Models and have never observed this style of font or engraving on any 1970's vintage pistol. Is it possible this is a more recent Colt factory replacement receiver to which the original 1970 serial number was transferred using modern serial numbering methods? Having never had a defective receiver replaced, I am unsure of the factory protocol. Apologies for the low quality screenshot photo. Thanks!

Full Image

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, a replacement frame is my first thought. Seeing more of the pistol would be helpful.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell, but that looks like a refinish.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Thank you for assisting in my decision to not bid on this particular pistol. With the auction now complete, I will provide additional details. The pistol in question is chambered for .38 Super. I'm uncertain when the first .38 Super Series 70 Government Models were introduced, though I do know Colt ultimately utilized the following serial number prefix system to differentiate between calibers: 70G = .45 auto, 70L = 9mm, 70S = .38 Super. While this serial number prefix system indicates a 1970 production .45 auto, what is most interesting is the modern serial number font and engraving style. Even with my suspicions of a factory replacement receiver confirmed, I briefly considered pursuing this pistol - if only as a curiosity. Once armed with the knowledge it was likely refinished however, I sat back and observed. After reviewing the photos, I suspect the pistol is a Franken-Colt assembled from a Series 70 receiver (albeit of unknown vintage w/ a 1970 serial number) mated to a later production .38 Super barrel/slide assembly. Even with the low quality photos, I am in agreement the pistol appears to have been refinished. It would be interesting to learn what may have happened to a vintage receiver for Colt to not only supply a new one but also transfer the original serial number. I always assumed once a receiver was damaged/worn beyond repair, the receiver was scrapped and the serial number stricken. Thanks again to SIGforum.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
that pistol does (according to Colt) date to 1970,

however that prefix (70G) was used from 1970-1976
after that it was reversed for a few years (G70)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
however that prefix (70G) was used from 1970-1976
after that it was reversed for a few years (G70)

In addition, ~1980 thru 1983 Series 70 Colt Government Models are observed with a (B70) suffix as well as a (70B) prefix.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That font does indeed look modern to me, and I agree with it being refinished. Looks like the ejection port was lowered; on all stock '70's Colt GM's I have seen they have the higher GI style port.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post