SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendation for first acquisition
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for first acquisition Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think the push for concealed carry guns is a little over done these days... nothing wrong with a P229 and I think that would be my second choice. As for your question above... Legions are great and you get a couple cool labels to put on your rear windshield ... but a basic P226 with E2 grips or G10s are in my opinion the way to go.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to go to ranges and rent pistols, as many as you can. I did that for a year before buying my first pistol, a Sig P226. It remains one of my favorites to this day. There were models I shot that just didn't fit my hand well and didn't shoot well. For example, I had my heart set on buying an HK. Did not feel good in my hand and I did not shoot it well. I now have a bunch of Sigs and a few others. I carry my P226, P229, P938 and P365 and P320 depending on time of year and situation. Feel confident carrying any of those as they have all been super reliable.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard17F:
Thanks a million for all your great inputs !
May I ask now since we narrowed the choices:
P 226 or P229 ? "Legacy", TacOps, or Legion ? RX or classic sights ?

For your purpose as stated in the OP, I still say the P226 Legion RX. Still don't know which country you are from.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,
Thanks a lot again for your great answers.
I had decided to go for a P226 RX but the importer cannot get me one in time before my temporary licence expires.
He can get me whether a P226 Legion or a P320 RX.
Therefore I have 2 questions:
- I was told that it is pretty difficult to adapt a red-dot optical sight to the P226 (I would probably need an adapter which makes it too high on the slide); Would you concur ?
- What do you think of the 320RX and would you recommend some modifications (on the trigger in particular) ?
Thanks a million !
Happy New Year !

Posts: 20 | Registered: November 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the P320. Once trying it you will see the advantages. Also it is 40% less expensive than a metal frame classic Sig. I have numerous classic Sigs, but shoot the P320 99% of the time.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I now carry an H&K of some sort as my EDC 90% of the time and my favorite range gun is a 1911 (Sig Stainless Super Target, Dan Wesson or Kimber Raptor) one of my oldest guns is a Sig P226 with over 25,000 rounds and never a failure.

The P226 was used for target, competition, carry, and home defense. I shot manufactured rounds and my own reloads. I have an extra .357 barrel, a .22 conversion, and more holsters than you can imagine. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Sig P226.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The p320 is of course a whole different type of trigger system. I still prefer the P226 for what you originally asked for... but.... if you are going to go with a 320 with a romeo site then that will work to the extreme....

Last time I took a class at Front Sight I reached one of my goals which was to shoot a perfect score on the shooting test... I did this with a Sig P320 compact with the factory red dot site.

One point about red dots on a pistol it is really hard to acquire that dot fast at first.. the best way I have found to do this is to actually use the iron sights to acquire the target and then refine that with the dot.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks a lot for your helpful answers.
I have not found a P226RX, but a serious Practical shooting instructor who is selling his P320RX for a "decent" price, including an improved trigger.
I promise I will send pics ASAP.
If you have any advice on what to check on the weapon (Barrel grooves, for example ?), I am all ears.
Thanks again !

posted Hide Post
All,
I acquired today a second-hand P320 RX.
The previous owner is a very serious Practical Shooting competitor himself
So the gun has seen quite a lot of action already.
I would be very interested to know what would you recommend for me to replace, even if it looks ok.
Thanks a lot for all your support !
(Sorry, but I tried to enclose a pic but did not succeed.....)

posted Hide Post
Replace your recoil spring. Then check over your magazine springs and rock on.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post