SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendation for first acquisition
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for first acquisition Login/Join 
posted
I am very new in the forum so I really appreciate your future help.

I am looking to purchase a pistol for Practical shooting. I am a beginner in this activity.
I am a big fan of Sig pistols, I owned a P228 in a previous life….

The gun will be 99% dedicated to Sport shooting and 1 % for defense, since I received a carry licence.

The constraints are that I now live in a country where all guns cost twice as much as they would in the US, and all the models are not imported so my choice is somewhat limited.

Which models would you consider ?
I thought of the P226, or possibly the P210 (although much more expensive).

I prefer their conventional triggers to the one of the Stryker family, but I would be interested in a Stryker pistol (P320?) if you recommend to modify the trigger for example.

Also, I would like to be able to replace easily the conventional sights to a red dot, or alternatively go for a RX model.

So what would you recommend please ?

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs !

Leo

Posts: 20 | Registered: November 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A number of good options, but if you want to make it simple consider a P320 of some flavor. I have a Compact and a Full Size. If somebody is new to shooting and/or competition, it is a VERY easy pistol to shoot well. As one of our more knowledgeable members has stated, the P320 is very tolerant of bad inputs. Translation, lots of margin for error if your technique isn't always perfect. Having said that, the better your fundamentals, the better the end result. Same as with any gun, but just easier with the P320.

I started shooting handguns in the late sixties and have shot/carried a multitude of platforms. I have 1911's, Glocks, P320's and Sig classics (P239, P229, P226). I shoot them all well, but some took more work than others. The P320 was a natural.

I'd say either a P320 FS or Carry (FS grip/Compact slide). There are several models available with slides ready for optics. You could use irons to start and then decide if you want to do optics later. In addition, you'll have additional grip frame module sizes available ($40), if necessary. The stock trigger is very good, but if you need to get a GrayGuns trigger for competition.

You'll be getting a lot of good responses. This is the best forum out there.

Welcome to the forum.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/f...r-handguns/p320.html

https://www.topgunsupply.com/g...sig-sauer-grips.html

https://grayguns.com/

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the P226 DA/SA. I shoot this pistol better than any striker fired gun. Very happy with the gun and I own quite a few other pistols. Few if any malfunctions, just runs well.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard17F:
I am very new in the forum so I really appreciate your future help.

I am looking to purchase a pistol for Practical shooting. I am a beginner in this activity.
I am a big fan of Sig pistols, I owned a P228 in a previous life….

The gun will be 99% dedicated to Sport shooting and 1 % for defense, since I received a carry licence.

The constraints are that I now live in a country where all guns cost twice as much as they would in the US, and all the models are not imported so my choice is somewhat limited.

Which models would you consider ?
I thought of the P226, or possibly the P210 (although much more expensive).

I prefer their conventional triggers to the one of the Stryker family, but I would be interested in a Stryker pistol (P320?) if you recommend to modify the trigger for example.

Also, I would like to be able to replace easily the conventional sights to a red dot, or alternatively go for a RX model.

So what would you recommend please ?

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs !

Leo

Which country are you from, and do you have a variety of SIGs to choose from?

Since you prefer DA/SA to striker fired guns, the P320 is out. I don't know what you mean by modifying the P320 trigger. Whatever mods you make, it will forever remain a striker gun.

Since guns in your country cost an arm and a leg, the German SIG metal X-guns are out.

I'd say, your best bet would be one of the RX SIGs in DA/SA, like the Legion P226 RX, https://www.sigsauer.com/store...on-rx-full-size.html
It's out of the box ready for action for you. No needs to modify the slide.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I prefer the P226 DA/SA. I shoot this pistol better than any striker fired gun. Very happy with the gun and I own quite a few other pistols. Few if any malfunctions, just runs well.

I agree.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
If available it's hard to beat either the P220 or P226 as both are proven reliable and will stand up to rigorous use on the range and still be there if you need it for protection. While they perform great out of the box I did have the double action trigger on my P220 worked on for a lighter first shot capability since mine was for carry use.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If cost is a consideration, you might want to think about the SIG Pro -- the P2022.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend going to a gun shop where you can handle them. BUT, if 99% of your shooting is precision. I'd go straight for a SIG 210. Or a nice 1911. A 226 SAO or CZ 75B SA would also be a consideration.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can't find a single bad thing to say about a 226. My favorite pistol ever produced, in my mind there is not a better all purpose pistol produced in the world. I use mine for shooting USPA and Steel Challenge. Not one failure ever.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on your experience with the 228, I would say to look at the P229. The two guns are nearly identical and CPO P229s are a great deal. It would be a good dual role, competition and carry pistol.
The 229 is available in .40 and 9mm.
And as previously noted, the 226 is a great choice.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
All very good advice, above.

Your preferences, what you handle well, must factor in, and will take practice. There is one criteria that trumps this.

In your still as yet unnamed country what firearms are most common, with the greatest availability of magazines, ammunition, and parts?

If you pick something that you love, but you'll never be able to service and risk not having ammunition then all you may be left with is an expensive, defective, boomerang.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the P226 with E2 grips and a short reset trigger if possible... in 9mm. Best in my opinion for range shooting....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have no issue with a 226 of any flavor. They are great guns. I agree with the above of going with a 229 if it's available as it gives you a slight concealment edge. I know you said 1% but you never know of that will change and if you only have one it kinda puts me in the Swiss army knife mode.

With all that said if I could only have one I'd go with a G19.5 MOS as it does everything pretty damn well and you can learn the trigger pretty easily and have a dot.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I think everyone's first Sig should be a Sig P226. It's a classic, really great pistol.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I think everyone's first Sig should be a Sig P226. It's a classic, really great pistol.

Bingo!
The 226 is the proverbial girl next door - like Mary on “It’s a Wonderful Life”. You’ll initially think such a choice is too basic. But eventually, you’ll know she’s the keeper.
I’ve had my JJ 226 for 31 years.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P226
P220
P229

All are great guns. Cannot go wrong.

I think all are available in RX model, except P220 10mm variant.

If you want something really nice without breaking the bank, consider a SSE (Stainless Steel Elite) model. Not RX ready, but a great range gun.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million for all your great inputs !
May I ask now since we narrowed the choices:
P 226 or P229 ? "Legacy", TacOps, or Legion ? RX or classic sights ?

Posts: 20 | Registered: November 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I spoke up for the P229: Classic Carry.
I am not a rail fan.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are also Classic Carry P226 models with similar features. I bought one in September. But they are less plentiful than the 229 models.

Regardless, I’d try to find a discounted P226 and then buy a separate RX slide assembly if you want to try a RDS.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P226 was my first handgun and I still love it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post