SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig M17 Deltapoint Pro Install
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig M17 Deltapoint Pro Install Login/Join 
posted
Sig M17 Commemorative

Installed the DP Pro today, now there is a big hole where the rear sight / plate was removed. You can see into the striker assembly. This can't be correct is it?

I ordered the Deltapoint rear iron sight attachment, so I would assume it would cover that a little bit, but it still seems odd that the striker group would be so exposed...

Posts: 565 | Location: NC | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Here is a video of one, not sure if its the same M17 version but no hole visible and it doesn't have the DPP rear sight either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
That is strange. I just put a RMR on my M17 (not a commemorative version) and no such hole existed. Certinaly not after I put the RMR on.

ETA: $800 gun...gotta use tape to cover a hole in the slide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
Wierd. Maybe it's on the commemorative version because it's not on my commercial.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think it's worth a call to SIG C/S and sending them some photos.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's perfectly normal. The commemorative /issued m17 holds the rear sight plate differently (w/ 1 screw) than other 320's that hold the plate farther forward with 2 screws. Removing the plate is different too.

I use a little piece of Gorilla tape to seal the hole.The use the DPP rear sight.

The screws on commercial models are exposed simply by looking at the bottom of the slide. The commemorative, you remove the striker Assembly.

Posts: 16 | Registered: June 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
$800 gun...gotta use tape to cover a hole in the slide.

I agree. Every time I picked up the gun, my eyes would go to that. .

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't have too. But since 1 of mine is a carry gun. It's cheap insurance. Silly to have to do it I guess. But no biggie.

Posts: 16 | Registered: June 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig M17 Deltapoint

Hi All, I too was struck by seeing a hole. So, I contacted Sig & Leupold.

Sig Cust Rep said "I am not aware of any risks or issues that would arise from it being present, or any action that might need to be taken about it being there.

Leupold "Expert" answered my question..."This is the way the M17 contract pistol is as well, not just the civilian version. Sig designed it this way, and from my understanding there is not a solution for it as they believe there is no issue as well. Leupold does not have any retrofit for it either, as our optic is designed for multiple firearms, not just the M17. The Army has accepted this as the standard, with the DP PRO, and I don't believe there has been anything to suggest that it plays any real world impact in the performance of this combat pistol, or the engineers at Sig would have done something about it from the get go, and it would not have been accepted as the standard pistol. Not only has the Army adapted this pistol with this optic, but it being accepted in just about every other branch as well.

So to keep it pretty straight forward, there is no retrofit or correction for this firearm/optic combo.

The DP PRO rear sight is the only option to be used mounted to the back of the DP PRO, short of designing and building a one off.

If you have any other questions, let me know."

Now, I have never been in combat but can't imagine our folks in uniform feeling comfortable knowing there is a hole where dirt, water and other stuff can get into the internals.

Anyone else concerned?

Posts: 5 | Registered: July 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, not concerned and I have been to combat zones on 3 different occasions.

Dirt/sand/whatever gets all-over no matter what you do or what type of gun you have. Some designs have lots of spots where dirt can get in (and get out) on purpose. A "tight" gun may prove to be the most unreliable of all...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lazy enough tonight to not go look at my M17's. Does the DPP irons cover it?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked my M17 today and I did not have that hole on the top of my slide when I took off my sight plate. I would call Sig again and get that fixed. I would not be happy to see my striker assembly like that.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post