SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting and jewelry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting and jewelry Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
I don't wear jewelry, namely rings. A couple times I've let other people try one of my guns, I noticed later a tiny scratch in the grip area. I suspect, but can not confirm, they were caused by rings they were wearing. I had this happen this past weekend, when I found a small nick in my G10 grip.

I know a lot of shooters wear at least a wedding band and maybe class ring too. Those of you who wear jewelry, do you notice scratches on your guns that line up around where you wear your rings?

Note: I know guns are tools. I am not asking how much incidental scratches to my tools should bother me; I'm asking if jewelry is a common cause of scratches to guns.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Lots of police trade ins have galling on the front straps from wedding rings.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Ring wear is well noted in many used gun ads.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I’ve been wearing a silicone wedding band for years now so as to avoid such scratches.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I let my boss at the time shoot my shotgun.
I was rewarded with some nice "ring dings" on the pistol grip.
I did however take the pain and kept my mouth shut.

ETA
New rule :
Lose the jewelry or wear gloves.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I take my ring off beforehand and make my wife as well. In addition to nicking the coating on something like a classic Sig, it can damage the rings.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had taken a female friend shooting and she had racked the slide with a ring on. Left a noticeable mark. It kinda bothered me for a bit, but it wasn’t her fault. Then I got over it cuz it got more wear from holster and competition.

ETA: I did learn from that and make sure anyone that handles my Anniversary 1911 takes off all rings.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My son nicked up the grip on my Kahr after I let him use it for a day. My son in law solved the problem by having my daughters initials tatooed on his ring finger because he shouldn't wear rings or jewelry in his line of work. I never could stand to wear any kind of jewelry. I don't know how some of you guys drag these huge watches around on your wrist all day. Razz I can only have a wallet on me if I am out doing errands and will need it and then it lives in the console until I go into a store.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Never really thought about it, but all my heavy use guns are polymer (P320/AR15) or rubber-sleeved (Hogue slip-on).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15152 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My duty weapon is silver on the front strap from my wedding ring. The retired duty weapon that I purchased when they replaced it is pretty chewed up in the same place. Of my personal weapons, my M9 is the only one with significant ring wear. I try to remember to remove any rings before a range session, but I don’t always think about it.

It’s extremely common from what I’ve seen, especially with aluminum frames.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post