SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220ST vs P220 Stainless

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
P220ST vs P220 Stainless Login/Join 
Picture of woodibly
posted
Hello everyone!

I've searched for quite a bit on this and I can't find a definite answer. I posted my P220, which I believed to be a P220ST, for sale and someone commented that it was a P220 Stainless and not a P220ST. It does not have the ST roll mark.
I know it is not a first generation P220ST with the compensator rail, but it seems to be exactly the same as the last of the P220ST roll marked guns. All steel, internal extractor, 8mm trigger, frame made in Germany, slide made in Exeter, stock Hogue grips.
Is my gun not a P220ST?
Any help with my ignorance and confusion is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 16 | Location: The home of California gun laws, California | Registered: March 15, 2007Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have had both, and as far as I'm concerned they are the same. SIG stopped the "ST" marking so they didn't have to have two stainless steel slides for the P220. I can understand a purist making a distinction, however.

SIG made a similar change in the marking of the all stainless steel P230 to P232 by dropping the "SL" mark.

It may be more accurate to refer to the guns as all stainless steel.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Picture of woodibly
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for that! I bought my gun as a P220ST and knew it was such, but the comment had me doubting myself for a bit.

Posts: 16 | Location: The home of California gun laws, California | Registered: March 15, 2007Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
You have to be an over the top purist to make such a distinction. I'm pretty sure the item you have most probably came is a case marked "220-45-S(SS)", or something very similar depending on how else it was configured. It probably also had "220-45 stainless" on the same label. The later of which would have most definitely not been on an alloy framed weapon.

To me, it is important to keep in mind that even though SIG quit putting the "P220 ST" roll-mark on the slide, they never changed their part number/SKU for the weapon. Even when they changed the rail, trigger width, extractor... Their part number/SKU didn't change.

ST = ST

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Picture of woodibly
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen!

I was able to speak to Sig Sauer USA on the subject and they verified it all. They put the ST roll mark to show that it was a stainless slide, but when they started using that same slide on all P220 models, it was phased out.

I saw that post right before I posted. I remember the Nitron P220ST being a custom order by a police department. Very cool!

posted Hide Post
All I can add is my P220ST slings brass over into the next County.

Posts: 282 | Location: Lake Martin, Alabama | Registered: April 04, 2010Report This Post
Picture of woodibly
posted Hide Post
That's good extractor tension! Eek

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodibly:
Thank you, gentlemen!

I was able to speak to Sig Sauer USA on the subject and they verified it all. They put the ST roll mark to show that it was a stainless slide, but when they started using that same slide on all P220 models, it was phased out.
Hmmm, where to start...

The ST moreso differentiates the weapons with stainless frames, I have several P220's, but from 2002-3ish production on, all new production P220's had a stainless slide. I honestly am not sure when they quit using the "P220 ST" roll-mark, maybe 2006ish? The difference was the frame.

If you bought a new production (Exeter).45 P220 from ~2002-3 on, they had SS slides and alloy frames unless it was an ST model, in which case it was stainless whether marked or not.

The same goes for P226ST's and P229ST's, ST designates the frame as stainless, not the slide.

I suspect that rep was referring to when they quit using the "stainless" roll-mark, which I believe was what was also phased out on pretty much all new production SIGs....

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lamarw:
All I can add is my P220ST slings brass over into the next County.

Get the 10mm, and you'll be two counties over.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
Doveryai,
no proveryai.
Picture of SIG_P226
posted Hide Post
Can anyone confirm P229 ST - P229 with ST roll mark. I have never seen one. Please post picture if you have one. Ping me with SN+ 1st 3 digits, if you don't mind.
Thank you.

.)))*"((((((( *¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*
>>> o <<<
.\___~___/
Get some, then get some more ... ST10
Success in handgun marksmanship is about operating the pistol, not hitting the target. - Bruce Gray
Knowledge is power, ONLY when you share it. - Me
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3662 | Location: Cop Land | Registered: September 01, 2005Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG_P226:
Can anyone confirm P229 ST - P229 with ST roll mark. I have never seen one. Please post picture if you have one. Ping me with SN+ 1st 3 digits, if you don't mind.
Thank you.

Never seen one with the "ST" on the slide, either.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post