SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Modified versus Original Sig P229
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modified versus Original Sig P229 Login/Join 
posted
This is probably addressed somewhere in this section, but I can't find it specifically. I traded for a supposedly new Sig 229 9mm but learned later that it was an earlier gun (early 2000's) and originally sold to a police organization. It has the rail, smaller slide serrations, and short external extractor. It takes only the older Sig 229 magazines; serial begins with AM 79 XXX. Was this model inferior in some way prompting the design change? Can these be had nowadays without the rail?

Posts: 18 | Registered: December 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RomeoFoxtrot:
This is probably addressed somewhere in this section, but I can't find it specifically. I traded for a supposedly new Sig 229 9mm but learned later that it was an earlier gun (early 2000's) and originally sold to a police organization. It has the rail, smaller slide serrations, and short external extractor. It takes only the older Sig 229 magazines; serial begins with AM 79 XXX. Was this model inferior in some way prompting the design change? Can these be had nowadays without the rail?

What you have is commonly referred to as the Legacy slide P229. It is in no ways inferior to the newer version (with full height slide serrations and the long external extractor). In fact, many of us "purists" prefer the old style P229 that you have.

The design change came with the easier and cheaper to produce long external extractor.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You can still have the Legacy slide P229 without the rail from recent production. It's called the P229 Classic Carry. It was a limited production model. Pic (not mine):

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally try not to post similar commments, but I think 12131 was a bit understated. You should be ecstatic you have that version over current production.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! I had no idea. Thanks so much for the information.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not only is the early Legacy slide P229 desirable, in 9mm, you can double or triple that desirability. Congrats!

Q

Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
Sorry a little off topic. I just bought a P229 Classic carry also. I would like to put wood grips on it. I am new to the P22X series and not quite sure which ones to get. I keep reading about P229-1, the frame is this or that between models, after 2010 etc. So do I get wood grips for the P228/P229? Can I get 15 rd. mags for it? It came with 13 rd. mags. Are the 15 rd. mags from Mecgar ok to use. I apologize for the questions- Just not sure which way to go. (yes I did a google search- just made me more confused) Thanks All!

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT45:
Sorry a little off topic. I just bought a P229 Classic carry also. I would like to put wood grips on it. I am new to the P22X series and not quite sure which ones to get.

Go on Hogue website and choose. https://www.hogueinc.com/grips...sauer/p228/dasa/wood
quote:
I keep reading about P229-1, the frame is this or that between models, after 2010 etc. So do I get wood grips for the P228/P229?

The 229-1 frame has to do with the internal dimensions of the magwell, and nothing to do with external. So, grips for the P228, P229 (old), and P229 (229-1) are all the same.
quote:
Can I get 15 rd. mags for it? It came with 13 rd. mags. Are the 15 rd. mags from Mecgar ok to use. I apologize for the questions- Just not sure which way to go. (yes I did a google search- just made me more confused) Thanks All!

Do NOT get any mags designated 229-1 or 229 E2. They will not fit in your P229.

Everything else for the P228 or P229 (old) will. Like this, http://gregcotellc.com/cart/si...mgp22815b-p-619.html
Or this, http://gregcotellc.com/cart/si...mgp22815n-p-620.html

Q

Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by SGT45:
Sorry a little off topic. I just bought a P229 Classic carry also. I would like to put wood grips on it. I am new to the P22X series and not quite sure which ones to get.

Go on Hogue website and choose. https://www.hogueinc.com/grips...sauer/p228/dasa/wood
quote:
I keep reading about P229-1, the frame is this or that between models, after 2010 etc. So do I get wood grips for the P228/P229?

The 229-1 frame has to do with the internal dimensions of the magwell, and nothing to do with external. So, grips for the P228, P229 (old), and P229 (229-1) are all the same.
quote:
Can I get 15 rd. mags for it? It came with 13 rd. mags. Are the 15 rd. mags from Mecgar ok to use. I apologize for the questions- Just not sure which way to go. (yes I did a google search- just made me more confused) Thanks All!

Do NOT get any mags designated 229-1 or 229 E2. They will not fit in your P229.

Everything else for the P228 or P229 (old) will. Like this, http://gregcotellc.com/cart/si...mgp22815b-p-619.html
Or this, http://gregcotellc.com/cart/si...mgp22815n-p-620.html

Thank you so much!! I appreciate it!!

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shortly after I acquired the P229 mentioned, I also purchased an E2 grip. The choice was between that and the Hogue aluma grip, since the original grip was too large for my hand. Is the aluma grip smaller than the E2? I have aluma grips for my 226, and they are excellent but pricey. I don't particularly care for the E2 grip and would prefer a two piece grip on the 229.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
AM was a funny year for the 229, I've got one from that year without a rail, and in 357.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for the E2 grips on a P229. Most of my Sigs have the checkered aluminum grips. Thinking that they are easier to do maintenance and work on and having them screwed down won't allow them to slide around. Sometimes you can find them on sale.

The grips are within 1/8 inch of each other in diameter.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll have to be the dessenting vote here. I have had an early P229 9mm and a more current P229R-A1. Other than the clean dust cover I could see no advantage nor extra desirability of the older P229 9mm.

I preferred the feel of the full slide serrations of the newer gun over the half height serrations of the older gun. The newer gun holds 2 more rounds of ammo in the same footprint.

I prefer the E2 grips for shooting but the 2 piece older grips are much better for carrying but I can put 2 piece grips on my A1 (I have a set for it but don't leave them on).

The only advantage of the slick dust cover over the newer rail is that it works with my older holsters.

I could even use the older mags in my P229-A1 if need be but not the other way around.

I still have an older P229 in 357 SIG but traded off my old P229 in 9mm (over a year ago and I think it's still sitting on that dealers shelve.)

Now, I realize that some people place a sentimental value on old stuff but as far as a practical matter there's no advantage of the old gun over the new.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Yeah, not only is the early Legacy slide P229 desirable, in 9mm, you can double or triple that desirability. Congrats!" Well, Oriental Digits, just when did the "Legacy" 229 slide disappear?

I have a 229 SAS GEN II that has a short extractor, no rail and short serrations in the rear only. My records show that I purchased it new in 2011.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
"Yeah, not only is the early Legacy slide P229 desirable, in 9mm, you can double or triple that desirability. Congrats!" Well, Oriental Digits, just when did the "Legacy" 229 slide disappear?

I have a 229 SAS GEN II that has a short extractor, no rail and short serrations in the rear only. My records show that I purchased it new in 2011.

Nowhere did I say it disappeared. In fact, my other post pointed to the Classic Carry P229, which came out last year. Wink

Q

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
AM was a funny year for the 229, I've got one from that year without a rail, and in 357.

Actually the "AM" prefix spanned several years, and there were two sets, one with 5-numeral serial numbers, and a second with 6-numerals. At least that is what the serial number list shows.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

As I recall the Legacy slide did disappear for a time although I can't remember exactly when. SIG began transitioning to the long extractor/full height serration slide beginning in late 2010. It took most of 2011, if not longer, to complete the transition and P229s with both slides and 9mm frames were released. I recall seeing several discussions as to which slide/frame Dark Elite buyers were going to receive because they were stressing over which mags to buy.

After the transition was complete, there was a period of time that you could not purchase a new P229 with the short extractor/half-height serration slide. However, some time later (I want to say 2014 or 2015 but that would just be a guess), SIG released a batch of P229s with the old style slides and for the first time officially used the term "Legacy" slide to describe the old slide. Top Gun Supply was the first place I saw these P229s with "Legacy" slides for sale. That is what I remember.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
In my last Sig Armory class the instructor advised the Legacy slides were still being made for law enforcement purposes. Not any better or worse but because of the newer triple retention holsters that lock on to the ejection port area of the pistol.

We carry the ALS holster with a hood type top
Strap and locks into the ejection port area.

The newer long extractor will not work on this type of holster.

The instructor advised when ordering new firearms be sure to request the Legacy slides for this reason.

Type of holster I spoke of
https://www.safariland.com/als...176kfi9y9n17anz2p21a

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yeah, not only is the early Legacy slide P229 desirable, in 9mm, you can double or triple that desirability. Congrats!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning of doubling tripling desireability...but if you are referring to changing calibers using conversion barrels I don't think that is possible if you are starting with a 9mm base model. Or am I missing something?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

Actually the "AM" prefix spanned several years, and there were two sets, one with 5-numeral serial numbers, and a second with 6-numerals. At least that is what the serial number list shows.

Correct. The AM frames marked the introduction of the first railed frames, BUT this was a transitional period in which SIG offered both non-rail and railed models. Later years in the AM series became railed. The Gen 1 SAS first appeared in the AM frames. The DAK modified frames had only recently appeared prior to AM and continued thru AM.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post