SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Modified versus Original Sig P229
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modified versus Original Sig P229 Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yeah, not only is the early Legacy slide P229 desirable, in 9mm, you can double or triple that desirability. Congrats!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning of doubling tripling desireability...but if you are referring to changing calibers using conversion barrels I don't think that is possible if you are starting with a 9mm base model. Or am I missing something?

No, nothing to do with caliber conversion. Many of us just prefer the Legacy slide. I just don't like the long external extractor purely because it's just plain ugly. I still don't understand why SIG chooses to have short external extractor on the P220, P225-A1, and P227, but decides to put the long one on the P226 and P229.

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yeah, not only is the early Legacy slide P229 desirable, in 9mm, you can double or triple that desirability. Congrats!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning of doubling tripling desireability...but if you are referring to changing calibers using conversion barrels I don't think that is possible if you are starting with a 9mm base model. Or am I missing something?

No, nothing to do with caliber conversion. Many of us just prefer the Legacy slide. I just don't like the long external extractor purely because it's just plain ugly. I still don't understand why SIG chooses to have short external extractor on the P220, P225-A1, and P227, but decides to put the long one on the P226 and P229.

Ah, ok, my mistake. Yeah, I haven't shot a SIG with the long extractor yet but from a function standpoint it seems to work well enough from the reports I've read. But I have to agree that from a purely aesthetics standpoint the short extractor is better looking. Also, I prefer not to have forward cocking ridges so the original slides hold an appeal for me.

Yeah, the inconsistency in applying the short extractor across the Classic P series is a head scratcher. From a production standpoint I could understand standardizing on one or the other, but if they both function well enough and are cost effective enough to simultaneously produce then why both??

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Also, the old 9mm frame which went with Legacy slide is essentially a P228 frame which adds to the desirability for me.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also noticing that the parts on my P229 are MIM, I am wondering when Sig changed from forged to MIM more out of curiosity than any concern for safety or quality. I have older 226's and 220's that are obviously not MIM. And did they change over all models at the same time, or where these done by model over time?

Posts: 18 | Registered: December 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post