SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Leupold DP-P question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold DP-P question Login/Join 
posted
The DP-P (Deltapoint Pro) RDS is an excellent RDS but is big, probably the largest on offer. It requires a really tall front sight to co-wittnes. The add-on rear BUIS is nice, for $83 and adds length/size to the unit.

In pondering this issue I was wondering if the plate/place holder that occupies the slot for the rear BUIS that comes with the DP-P could have a notch cut into it and then tightened in place so that it "stuck up" a couple mm's. Which (in my mind) would work as a rudimentary rear BUIS?

I hope I've explained myself well enough ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Only one way to find out. Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Only one way to find out. Let us know how it goes.

Wink... probably true ... but still hopeful someone else has tried it ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
$8 for this one

https://gallowayprecision.com/...ta-point-pro-sights/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
$8 for this one

BINGO! ... thank you sir!

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Everyone I've read about putting a DPP on sometime other than a bullseye pistol as replaced it with a Trijicon RMR - Battery life, form factor, and reliability being main advantages over the DPP

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Everyone I've read about putting a DPP on sometime other than a bullseye pistol as replaced it with a Trijicon RMR - Battery life, form factor, and reliability being main advantages over the DPP

Interesting ... could you expand on "form factor" for me please? Honest question ... not arguing.

posted Hide Post
It's a tall sight, which as you mention makes it hard to get sights to co-witness with the dot. So people are limited on their choices of sights when using a DPP, that was what I meant my form factor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a tall sight, which as you mention makes it hard to get sights to co-witness with the dot. So people are limited on their choices of sights when using a DPP, that was what I meant my form factor.

Thank you Sir! That tall front sight is a problem/issue for many, myself included. One of the biggest concerns is selection of a holster ... or, lack of selection. Reliability, according to reports ... not clear at present, from what I've read/seen. The battery issue, not sure what I think about that ... but "if" I needed to replace it twice a year, rather than once a year on my birthday doesn't bother me, personally.

Again, thanks for the input/discussion.

posted Hide Post
Again, that's just what I've seen online, obviously second hand. Most serious users prefer or end up with an RMR, but some are happen with the DPP.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpnkrtn:
quote:

Thank you Sir! That tall front sight is a problem/issue for many, myself included. One of the biggest concerns is selection of a holster ... or, lack of selection. Reliability, according to reports ... not clear at present, from what I've read/seen. The battery issue, not sure what I think about that ... but "if" I needed to replace it twice a year, rather than once a year on my birthday doesn't bother me, personally.

Again, thanks for the input/discussion.

What holster are you wanting to use? I haven't had any issues with the .40" front I'm using. I have a Red Hill OWB, holster co IWB and it has worked with all my ALS holsters.

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again, that's just what I've seen online, obviously second hand. Most serious users prefer or end up with an RMR, but some are happen with the DPP.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Which serious users are you referring to? One of, if not the longest RDS study (4 years) was put out by Aaron Cowan and the DPP actually has more rounds on it than any of the RMR's he tested.

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
$8 for this one

Thank you for posting that! I'm going to pick one up in the event the attached rear iron shits the bed. I've read reports of them moving around even after being tightened down.

posted Hide Post
This is somewhat in line with what Rhinowso has said. At my tactical league the regulars originally split 50/50 (total sample size about 20) between starting with an RMR (as I did) or the DPP. At this point a bit more than a year later 95% of them run an RMR.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most serious users prefer or end up with an RMR, but some are happen with the DPP.

DPP is in use with some alphabetized mil units, and was by far the most popular sight during last year's Carry Optics USPSA Nationals. I personally would trust it less than RMR on a carry / duty gun but it does seem like plenty of serious users are on its bandwagon.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:
Most serious users prefer or end up with an RMR, but some are happen with the DPP.

DPP is in use with some alphabetized mil units, and was by far the most popular sight during last year's Carry Optics USPSA Nationals. I personally would trust it less than RMR on a carry / duty gun but it does seem like plenty of serious users are on its bandwagon.

what would make you trust it less?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scsu74:
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:

Battery life on DPP is weeks compared to a year or more with the RMR. The sensor that wakes the DPP often goes inop, and then you have to shake the pistol multiple times or hit the on/off switch to bring it alive. Mounting BUIS is difficult because of the height of the DPP.

I shoot them in Carry Optics and almost always have one or two in transit to or from Leupold for repair.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scsu74:

Mostly, his ^^^^ experience, since we talk daily, and he tells me he broke another every month or so.
Witnessing the dot not waking up on a draw with my own eyes.
Seeing local guys turn theirs off religiously between the stages.
Some other stuff.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The RMR is currently the Glock of pistol mounted sights.

posted Hide Post
I have an x carry and x5
I have an RMR and I bought a DPP.
Using the springer precision adapter plates.

I put the DPP on the x carry and it seemed huge to me...my previous experience was an RMR cut on G34.
I then put the RMR on and it seems to be more proportioned....

I have not shot the gun with the DPP, but did shoot it with the RMR.
My RMR is a gen1 and it has been flawless for years now.
I sighted it in on the Xcarry and was hoping to work on speed drills with it.

I like the adjustments on the side and battery life is amazing.
THe DPP is weird in that you need to stick your finger in front of the lens and it is one button that goes up, delay and then down.
YOu can't adjust and see the dot at the same time... to me it does not seem as robust (but I hear it is)
For a pure race gun, the DPP may be better as it seems easier to acquire the dot.
But in the long run, I think the RMR suits me better at the moment.
I was curious about the sig Romeo, as I could eliminate the adapter plate.

Posts: 49 | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post