SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol for Ms. Skins2881 - Input please *Final update - LC9*
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol for Ms. Skins2881 - Input please *Final update - LC9* Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Yesterday was my awesome fiancée's birthday and she asked for me to get her set up for her CCW (CHP in VA). I am going to be signing her up for a defensive pistol/self defense course, and pay for her permit for her birthday. Depending on cost of the classes maybe holster/mag carriers/etc. to go with her new gun.

She's looked at a few. She wants to stick with a dinosaur gun, DA/SA. I am fine with that since I hate safeties and striker fired.

Ones we would like to get our hands on and try are (updated quote from Ms. Skins2881):

quote:

1. *Ruger LC9 (9mm Single Stack DAO) - superb fit, concealability on fun-sized frame, smooth trigger, very likely purchase dependent on range testing outcome
2. **CZ 2075 BD RAMI 9mm - irresistibly sexy
3. *Sig P230/2 .380 - superb fit, good concealability
4. **Sig 290RS 9mm - it's a Sig.
5. *Sig P239 9mm - good fit, okay concealability, superb trigger
6. *HK P30sk 9mm - bulky fit, slightly bulky concealability, stiff/gritty trigger
7. [Other potential 9mm DA/SA or DAO we have not tried] **Sig P224, **Beretta PX4 Storm, **Bond Arms Bullpup 9 (formerly by Boeberg, know nothing about the brands)
8. [Potential .380 if pocket 9mm is too snappy] **Ruger LCP ACP, **S&W Bodyguard ACP
9. Kahr CM9 - Slide too hard to rack, crappy trigger, bad fit in hands, size perfect

Further narrowed to:

1. Ruger LC9
2. P290RS Long reset, extended mag pinched, just didn't feel right.
3. PX4 Storm SC Couldn't find one and too wide.

*not tested on range

**neither tested nor fondled

Criteria:

•I can shoot a mofo with it

•DA/SA or DAO for safety

•Concealability for small, petite "fun-size" frame - I want on-body carry only, primarily IWB strong arm side or 4/5 o'clock on the back, thigh for dresses. Clothing type includes skinny jeans, but slightly loose blouses. This means I need small height and slim width. If it's thin width, I don't think barrel length matters to much as long as it doesn't print where people can see - my blouses/jackets/t-shirts are long enough to cover.

•Feels good and secure in my hands immediately

•Reliable/consistent trigger pull

•Damn it's sexy

The CZ is the one I am hoping she gets, but looking forward to trying to fondle as many as I can on the list. For some reason she didn't like my 225A1, too big I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find one, the Wilson Combat Compact Carry version of the Beretta 92 is damn fine. My wife has one, and that's her favorite even more than her SAO P226 Legion.

Maybe add a P229 to the list?

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason she didn't like my 225A1, too big I think.

If she didn't like the P225-A1, then more than likely she will not like the P239. It's the same size as the 225-A1, but slightly shorter grip area.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Don't limit her to just subcompact pistols. Subcompacts can be harder to shoot than larger pistols, especially for newer shooters or those with lesser grip strength. Plus, they tend to have more felt recoil. And their slides also tend to be harder to rack, due to the shorter and stiffer recoil springs.

Most newer shooters do best with medium-sized pistols. Think G19 or similar.

So something like a SP2022 might be a good choice. Medium size. DA/SA. Somewhat lighter weight. Interchangeable grip sizes.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Don't limit her to just subcompact pistols. Subcompacts can be harder to shoot than larger pistols, especially for newer shooters or those with lesser grip strength. Plus, they tend to have more felt recoil. And their slides also tend to be harder to rack, due to the shorter and stiffer recoil springs.

Most newer shooters do best with medium-sized pistols. Think G19 or similar.

So something like a SP2022 might be a good choice. Medium size. DA/SA. Somewhat lighter weight. Interchangeable grip sizes.

She is not a new shooter, she shoots her SP2022 for USPSA and Steel matches, she wants a single stack mini SP2022, but they don't make that. She's shot .40, .45, and my SD 9mm stuff, so if it has a little more snap than what she'd take to the range is no problem. This will be a dedicated carry gun with no other purpose.

quote:
Maybe add a P229 to the list?
She shoots a 229 very well and loves the way it fits in her hands, but this needs to be small for CC she wants to still be able to wear girly clothes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I was just out shooting my Rami BD yesterday and couldn’t be happier with the way it shoots. I shot about a dozen magazines and de-cocked each time with a new mag. Out of the box, it has one of the best triggers, both double and single action, that I’ve seen. I think she’ll like shooting it.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
My friend's fiancee was in the same situation, picking out her first pistol to have a CCW a couple years ago.

She fell in love with the P30SK at the range, but not the price tag. I had one in DA/SA with manual safety I got like new from a pawn shop a few months prior for $475. He asked if I'd be willing to help so I passed the deal to her.

I was a big fan of the pistol as well. I have the same setup in my P30L, I'd like to have a matching SK again. The VP9 didn't interest me, but the VP9SK is pretty temping, too, especially given how easy it is to shoot a striker gun well out of the chute.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with you. RAMI for the win.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You better buy all of them, you know, just to be sure.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a number of women who like the P238 or P938 because of the size and ease of racking the slide. Yes, they have a safety, but with training, deployment can be reliable and quick with a consistent trigger pull for all shots.

Mostly 9mm and .45 ACP:
P226 Enhanced Elite
P938 SAS
P320 Compact w/subcompact grip
P225-A1 two-tone
Bunch of Dan Wessons
Assorted Berettas, CZs, etc.

Posts: 199 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the P30SK, feels beautiful in the hand is nice and compact but has good heft and shoots like a much bigger gun.

Prices have come way down on them too. You can pick up new ones in the $550 range with contrast sites or the $650 range with night sites and extra mag.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is also looking. I brought her to the newly opened store to browse. A friend of ours just happened to walk in also, I asked him to help her pick one out as my opinions don't count...lol... She picked out the Ruger SR9C...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife finally chose a P938. A .22LR X-Change kit for range plinking sealed the deal.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PX4 Compact has the rotary barrel and is very soft shooting,and also holds 15 rounds. The only drawbacks are the width is a little thick, and if you ever want to change the sights out you will probably have to ship it out to be done

You can get a Beretta 8000/cougar mainspring and make the trigger a lot better.

Also look at an HK P2000 SK. Seems a lot smaller than the Beretta Compact,and mine has been flawless.

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
If you can find one, the Wilson Combat Compact Carry version of the Beretta 92 is damn fine. My wife has one, and that's her favorite even more than her SAO P226 Legion.

You mean like this one? I hear "Wilson" and I get gla$$y-eyed. Buy now price of $5,999.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/754108050

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PX4 compact which I carry and really enjoy. I actually find it to be not as “thick” as my 2022. I have switched mine over to decocker only as well. Great carry gun in my opinion.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:

You mean like this one? I hear "Wilson" and I get gla$$y-eyed. Buy now price of $5,999.

Pfft. It's for TWO guns. Incredibly more reasonable at $3k per, right? Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The Rami is a chunky monkey. Add the PCR to the list of consideration. If I saw a Rami for 500 I would probably snag it tho.

https://youtu.be/rpUpUabWl4s

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:

List is $1250.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/b...-centurion-tactical/

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I would vote for the PX4 compact or p30sk

I don’t know how she plans to carry but all of the other guns are heavy, particularly if she is going to off body carry in a purse

Plus they fit the 2022 for st which is a polymer frame, DA/SA gun

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post