SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol for Ms. Skins2881 - Input please *Final update - LC9*
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol for Ms. Skins2881 - Input please *Final update - LC9* Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It is a shame she has rejected th P239 and the P225a1. Those are tops in any list! The rami shoots just like its medium brother the PCR- great. And then there is the Beretta PX4 Compact; or for something slightly less comfortable to shoot but excellent in many ways, the Sig 938 or the Kimber Micro9.Those are my carry recommendations

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
She wants to stick with a dinosaur gun, DA/SA. I am fine with that since I hate safeties and striker fired.

Would you consider the P99 AS? while it is a striker-fired pistol, it has a traditional DA/SA operation.

I've never shot one, but guy at work LOVES his P99. I'm suggesting it based on his praise. I have no idea if one can easily get mags, holsters etc. for it.

This was my thought as well. I'm in the process of switching over to the P99AS for home defense and the P99cAS for carry. You can get the P99c for something like $385 shipped from Shoot Straight (looks like they're out of stock now). If she likes DA/SA, it's a great pistol platform.

I'd also agree that getting holsters may be tricky. Mags, sights etc. aren't such a problem, but I had a hard time finding a holster that I liked.

Posts: 212 | Registered: April 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just sent her a link for the P99C AS. Might be a bit big, especially width wise.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
A lot of options have been mentioned so far. A SIG P230/232 slide may be a bit stiff for racking but would be a good option. Just to throw another your way, I would say have her look at a Walther PK380. I know some people might gasp at this recommendation but I have one that I bought to transition my daughters to centerfire calibers some time ago and they, as well as I have had a great experience with it. Excellent accuracy and barrel length on par with a P230 with a MUCH easier to rack slide, easy to load magazines, DA/SA with slide mounted safety, soft shooting, and ours has been 100% reliable. The only downside is it requires a tool to disassemble but that is about it. At least with a 3.66" barrel it is squeezing as much as possible out of the .380 round which with some good ammo is nothing to sneeze at.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just sent her a link for the P99C AS. Might be a bit big, especially width wise.

Yeah, it is a little wide for some of the modes of carry she wants. Frankly a single stack 9mm seems to be the only thing that fits most of what she wants. Given that she did at least look at the P30sk I figured it was worth pointing out. FYI, the P99c does carry smaller than it really is because of the shape of the slide.

Posts: 212 | Registered: April 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
How about a P228 Smile Wink

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
How about a P228 Smile Wink

That's what I was thinking. Big Grin

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
She's decided. LC9 will be the winner. Late push at the end for the P365 better sights and three additional rounds, but it's new, had initial problems, and is a striker. She (we) are more comfortable with the DA/SA-DAO platform and that gave the slight edge to the LC9.

Now time to find holsters.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^I have several but I am currently using this one for appendix carry. Good price.

https://wethepeopleholsters.co...?variant=26050740104

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is this the old, hammer fired LC9?

quote:
She's decided. LC9 will be the winner. Late push at the end for the P365 better sights and three additional rounds, but it's new, had initial problems, and is a striker. She (we) are more comfortable with the DA/SA-DAO platform and that gave the slight edge to the LC9.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Is this the old, hammer fired LC9?

quote:

Yes DAO with hammer, not LC9S.

She gave me the list of holsters she's going to be considering:

Looper Betty 2.0
Looper Ava
Remora 2 in 1 clip
Crossbreed mini tuck IWB
PJ Holsters IWB

Any reason not to choose one of these?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this a used or new-old-stock gun? Ruger only shows the S on their website now. But I'm sure they will have a good stock of parts - if you need any - for some time to come.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Is this a used or new-old-stock gun? Ruger only shows the S on their website now. But I'm sure they will have a good stock of parts - if you need any - for some time to come.

I understand that it is a discontinued gun, but it's going to get a couple hundred rounds of ball and a box or three of SD ammo shot through it then likely have a couple magazines every couple months shoot through it. I am not super concerned about wearing it out. I have also heard some good things about Ruger's customer service and that while they don't have a written warranty that they do take care of their customers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I still love my Lc9 even though I've moved to the lc9s. Back before the lc9s I purchased several spare parts from midway. Specifically, a few extra FP retainers.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ing-pin-retainer-lc9

They are currently out of stock. Imo, the firing pin retainer is a weak point in the design as it is held in position by the lci spring and repeated dryfiring without snapcaps can cause damage. Midway also has the firing pin in stock that I would suggest picking up before Numrich becomes the only source. I actually got my lc9 trigger close to that of the lc9s before I caved in. I even got the 22lr conversion from Twisted Industries. I really do love the pistol. It never malfunctioned except for that one time when I broke the FP retainer (hardening issue on a batch of retainers per Ruger i believe). Galloway Precision also has a 20# recoil spring which helped with 147 grain ammo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That gun was known for a very stiff DA trigger. You're wife is good with that?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

I understand that it is a discontinued gun, but it's going to get a couple hundred rounds of ball and a box or three of SD ammo shot through it then likely have a couple magazines every couple months shoot through it. I am not super concerned about wearing it out. I have also heard some good things about Ruger's customer service and that while they don't have a written warranty that they do take care of their customers.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
J,
Speaking of classes... highly recommend the defensive handgun series at Silver Eagle. Also their outdoor 360 pistol class. Took them all and got a lot out of them. Looking to do room clearing and the rifle series next. If she ever wants to do that one give me a shout. As for personal defense classes I love the Commando Krav Maga class I take. They are much more about defusing and disarming then the traditional more aggresive Krav which has a lot of striking. There are classes not far fom Loudon County. Best to you both! T

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
J,
Speaking of classes... highly recommend the defensive handgun series at Silver Eagle. Also their outdoor 360 pistol class. Took them all and got a lot out of them. Looking to do room clearing and the rifle series next. If she ever wants to do that one give me a shout. As for personal defense classes I love the Commando Krav Maga class I take. They are much more about defusing and disarming then the traditional more aggresive Krav which has a lot of striking. There are classes not far fom Loudon County. Best to you both! T

She's considering one at SEG, $235 seemed really reasonable. I read quick synopsis of it, some defensive pistol stuff with Krav Mags sounds like exactly what she wants. I'm not a huge fan of SEG, but I go with friends and would send her if it was a good class.

I think this is the one she was thinking about.

http://silvereaglegroup.com/self-defense/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
^ Looks pretty neat. I am a permanent student of CKM at a dojo in WV. They have coed, and women's only classes. She should check it out if she want's to go farther with practice. Fun stuff! Enjoy!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post