What about a standard 92 compact?

http://www.beretta.com/en/92-compact-with-rail/

March 11, 2018, 12:28 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
What about a standard 92 compact?

http://www.beretta.com/en/92-compact-with-rail/

Too big. She is tiny, heck that thing isn't easily concealable for me. We are trying to stay with someone in Sub Compact to compact range, a mouse gun.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 11, 2018, 01:06 PM
Xer0
How she plans on carrying it dictates the size/weight/model more than anything else. If the gun is going to be in a big purse, anything that fits the purse will do. If she plans on carrying it in the waistband or strapped to her inner thigh (when in a dress) or something, then she's going to want something a lot thinner, smaller, and lighter for more comfortable carry, especially as women tend to wear lower-riding, tighter, more shapely jeans/pants then men do (barring the millennial men with their skinny jeans worn below the waist :-).

I'm a short guy @ 5'3". If she's anywhere near as short as I am, anything bigger than a thin subcompact is going to be really uncomfortable carrying concealed inside the waistband for any length of time simply because there isn't a lot of upper body length to bend around or pad something in the waistband (or anywhere else on the short person's body really). Plus any odd bulges are much more noticeable on short people.

I daily conceal carry a Kahr CM9. With a kydex trigger guard cover only (regular holsters add too much bulk), I can keep it in my waistband and it is the smallest, thinnest, and lightest package I can find that still shoots 9mm. If the Sig P365 was available when I got it long ago, I'd consider it since it has 4 more rounds, but it is still just slightly bigger, heavier, and thicker than the Kahr so I am not going to change what works for my "concealment" purposes.
March 11, 2018, 02:53 PM
Excam_Man
Any interest in the Kahr K9?

March 11, 2018, 03:07 PM
Skins2881
RE Kahr CM9, she tried one out today, had trouble racking the slide, didn't much like the trigger either, perfect in size though. The K9 is too big for sure.

Poor guy at the gun shop, we made him take out almost every sub compact and they had in the case.

She really liked the Ruger LC9, but they only had the striker version there. Looking for DAO, DA/SA, or maybe LEM only. Now to find an LC9 to shoot, local range has a rental LC9S which we may try to see how she like shooting a mouse gun.

They had some P230s which she liked at the shop when she picked it up (they actually had three 230/2 believe it or not). This may be an awesome opportunity if she likes it. Mom has a 230 and she's gone all pussy hat wearing, so I am sure she'd give us a good price to get the evil thing out the house.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 11, 2018, 03:32 PM
SigSentry
NOW the lc9 is popular Roll Eyes. The lc9 was the second pistol I purchased for $400 in 2011. I've carried it in a variety of holsters since then. It was retired recently for the lc9s (with safety). I'm pleased you mentioned this pistol. Very reliable 7+1. Great trigger. Great customer service if you need it. And currently a great deal. A compact "dinasour" da/sa would be more difficult to conceal comfortably and consistently.
March 11, 2018, 03:36 PM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
She wants to stick with a dinosaur gun, DA/SA. I am fine with that since I hate safeties and striker fired.

Would you consider the P99 AS? while it is a striker-fired pistol, it has a traditional DA/SA operation.

I've never shot one, but guy at work LOVES his P99. I'm suggesting it based on his praise. I have no idea if one can easily get mags, holsters etc. for it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
March 11, 2018, 03:59 PM
Excam_Man
quote:
The K9 is too big for sure.

Then I'd eliminate the 239, as I feel it's larger for carry.
Kahr made a Lady K9, which had a lighter recoil spring to lighten the slide pull.

I know many don't like the CCP, but it may fit the bill. With its easy to pull slide, less recoil, ergonomic grips, light weight.

March 11, 2018, 05:12 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
The K9 is too big for sure.

Then I'd eliminate the 239, as I feel it's larger for carry.
Kahr made a Lady K9, which had a lighter recoil spring to lighten the slide pull.

I know many don't like the CCP, but it may fit the bill. With its easy to pull slide, less recoil, ergonomic grips, light weight.

Probably right on the 239, she did however love the trigger on the one we saw at the shop. CCP is no go, to many problems.

I updated OP to show what her thoughts are after a few days of searching and actually putting her hands on some today.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 11, 2018, 09:12 PM
smithnsig
Springfield XD-E. DA/SA. Singlestack just a tad bigger than the XD-S. Has safety but it’s the de cocker also.

Probably closest thing to a SIGPro in single stack subcompact.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
March 12, 2018, 08:16 AM
Virginia sheepdog
P239 - seem to be many 9mm out there NIB for good prices right now. Finding mags may be hard.

P2000, P2000sk, P30sk, p224 (bulky but good).

Check out the CZs too. Never had one but most that have them rally like them.

Find somewhere that she can get a few of them in her hand to see what feels the best.
March 12, 2018, 09:03 AM
patw
I had an original LC9 that had the thin trigger and loved everything about it but the trigger.I thought I would get over it when I started to shoot it. It was very slim and seemed to dig into my trigger finger due to the heavy pull and shape. The trigger pull also made it difficult to shoot accurately.

I also had the P290 (not the RS with updated parts) and loved the trigger pull. The downside was it's reliability, as it was reliable in the fact that I always had problems with it. I wound up trading it in after getting back from Sig with the recall. I could not trust it.

I tried LC9s as it is a nice gun and the trigger pull is amazing but seems too light, if that is possible. I don't remember it having any stacking for the pull and seems consistent throughout.

The P239 is a nice rugged pistol but the only downside is it is discontinued,which really with a Sig metal framed pistol, should not be a problem as they are durable and will last a good long time. I have had a few in my life and all were great although a little on the large side for my ccw needs. Just my 2 cents
March 12, 2018, 09:52 AM
varoadking
If she can get over the 'Damn, that's sexy" part...she may want to look at a Ruger LCR.
March 12, 2018, 03:09 PM
FishOn
I absolutely love my Sphinx Subcompact. It is very accurate, looks very sexy, is made in Switzerland, and has great capacity. DA/SA. The build quality is outstanding.

https://kriss-usa.com/pistols/subcompact/subcompact
March 12, 2018, 06:01 PM
jjkroll32
P2000 or P2000sk?

Wonderfully ergonomic, thin. available in DA/SA or LEM

Prices have come down significantly.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight
March 14, 2018, 08:54 PM
Skins2881
Next question. Cheap, quick, semi useful online CCW class?

She originally was going to try to do some actual training to get permit. Thing is anyone teaching a self defense class often times is not qualified for permit. So we've decided to decouple training from class. Take class, get permit, then do training that incorporates self defense with and without a pistol. This way she gets permit fast as possible and gets separate training geared more towards any deficiencies she has.

She can draw from holster, shot on the move, do tactical reloads, and can out shoot my ass (at least at range, on paper). I'd (and she'd) like to zero in on drawing in self defense situation, repelling an attacker and other non lethal forms of self defense.

So, what can you guys recommend online that may actually impart any knowledge? Or is it pointless to even try and learn something and she should just check the box and do fastest/cheapest available?

EDIT she's taking a hunter safety class that satisfies the class for $30.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 15, 2018, 11:12 AM
BBMW
I was going to go there also. Either a P2000SK or a Rami

In the P2000, have her try the LEM trigger.

quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
P2000 or P2000sk?

Wonderfully ergonomic, thin. available in DA/SA or LEM

Prices have come down significantly.

March 15, 2018, 06:41 PM
captain127
S&W 3913
March 15, 2018, 10:57 PM
bubbatime
Being tiny, she will have to work hard to conceal. A heavy pig CZ is out.

I REALLY think a Glock 42 should be looked at.

March 16, 2018, 12:52 AM
soggy_spinout
Another gun not listed so far:

- Bersa Thunder 9 Pro Ultra Compact Pro; it however DOES come with a thumb safety. Still, it's on the smaller side for a double-stack configuration, and is DA/SA and definitely lighter weight for this setup. I've not shot one but it seems to be well regarded by those who have some experience with it.

Of the guns on your list, the RAMI would be the one I'd look at as well. Tough to find though, as CZ is in another one of their 'agency contracts first' moods. I just got an availability list from our CZ rep and it's nearly zilch when it comes to CZ handguns. Only the 75 SP-01 Phantom and P-07 (maybe another possibility? It's larger but it's DA/SA), both polymer framed guns, are available from Kansas City right now. Lots of long guns however, and Dan Wessons.