SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 X5 Grips on standard P226?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 X5 Grips on standard P226? Login/Join 
Picture of mcs1564
posted
I’ve been looking at some OEM X5 SAO grips and was wondering if they would work on a standard SAO P226.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go here
https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/sigsauer/p226

You will see that Sig's X5 have a magwell.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but, I should’ve stated that I’m looking at some OEM X5 grips.

I don’t believe the lack of an extended magwell would be an issue, however, I don’t know if the rest of the frame is machined the same.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MBOYD
posted Hide Post
The older grips for the All-Around X5's should fit on a 226, but there may be gaps due to frame variations for use of the SIG magwell. The newest X-5 grips from Hogue have a HUGE opening in the base to accommodate the new X-5 hammer spring retainer. Due to this, the grips are paper thin on the lower acme of the grips. look carefully at some samples before you buy.

DOH! Didn't see the SAO part. I think that the same lower grip issues will still be an issue. Call Hogue. They will have a tech call you back with key info.

-mb

Posts: 684 | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I would say yes. I just tried some OEM grips from my X5 Tactical (SAO) on my P226 Legion (SAO) and they fit fine.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info. Tooky13 - thanks for the fit check.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering two pairs of the walnut X5 grips that are currently on sale at the Sig store.

The good news - they fit the stainless SAO I recently picked up perfectly.

The not so good news - they'll need some work to fit my 2017 SAO. There's a gusset at the upper rear of the frame that interferes with the grip.

It's nothing that a little woodworking can't fix. I thought I read something that Sig changed the frame after a certain S/N, but, can't seem to find where I saw it.

I'll post a couple of pics later this week should anyone be interested.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:

I'll post a couple of pics later this week should anyone be interested.

Please do.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience as mcs1564. Wood grips from SIG or Nill grips fit my X5 SAO, not my elite 226 SAO. Hogue grips for X5/226 SAO fit both guns perfectly. I prefer the Hogue checkered grips for both, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me. But those wood grips are very nice to look at!

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly recent to 226s, didn't pick my first one up until last year, so I don't know if this is something new or not.

Both of my aluminum frame 226s (both from 2017) have this gusset in the radius below the beavertail

Legion SAO:

Stainless SAO:

As far as reading about a frame change, I had that crossed up with one of the LDC threads and the lack of grips due to frame differences.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

posted Hide Post
In one of his videos, Bruce Gray reported modifying the older pattern Sig 226 grips to fit his X5 DA/SA. I wonder how he did that. I'd just like to make them fit a newer 226.

Posts: 18 | Registered: December 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post