SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Least abrasive Nickel polish for revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Least abrasive Nickel polish for revolver Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
It's that time again. I opened up my python rug and can see that it's time to apply a polish once again. In the past I've used Flitz followed by Renaissance Wax just as an extra measure for storing away. The python is a 76' with a great nickel finish currently. I've also used Flitz in the past on my late fathers nickel Colt Trooper and it took some of the nickel off up front on the cylinders where Dad may have scrubbed the power rings up front a little too much and left a thinner nickel plating. When you see copper thru the nickel, thats not good at all! I do have Flitz to use but was wondering if forum users are using an alternative polish thats not too abrasive to use....maybe Mothers or another? Suggestions?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used Flitz. Mother's is much more abrasive.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Flitz or Simichrome for a polish. They are about the same degree of abrasive, which isn't much.

But maybe you don't need a polish with any abrasive. Just clean it - with a non-ammonia cleaner, as ammonia can damage the copper underplating. Then wax with Ren Wax.

I'd think maybe no polish is needed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above, maybe just more wax.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It might be worth investigating another storage method. I've seen a lot of guns damaged by being stored in fleece lined cases. Including my Grandpa's Browning shotgun.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It might be worth investigating another storage method. I've seen a lot of guns damaged by being stored in fleece lined cases. Including my Grandpa's Browning shotgun.

True - fleece can hold moisture against the gun. The problem is obvious.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I'll have to look into the material lining of the pistol rug to see if it's the fleece material, not sure. After reading your suggestions I ended up purchasing a 1.76oz tube of Semichrome and I'll try that. The finish is just starting to show that milky white looking thin film in a few small areas. From reading many suggested that the Semichrome was less abrasive than both Mothers and Flitz. I'll give it a try and add a coat of Renaissance to top it off. I'll be checking into the rug too. Further reading of the nickel plated pistols suggested that the nickel is pretty rugged and I shouldn't worry too much about removing the finish with a decent hand polish. It does have an excellent finish with no real visible wear or handling marks, so it should hold up well for many good years with proper care. Thanks again. I'll snap off an image in the near future after the polish job.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
after polishing, follow up with a treatment of Renaissance Wax.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've also used Flitz in the past on my late fathers nickel Colt Trooper and it took some of the nickel off

Seems like that would be a big STOP sign.
Doesn't matter what he had done, if you took off the remaining nickel, you were being too harsh.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yea, it was the first time I ever used Flitz, or any polish for that matter on a nickel revolver. Lesson learned.

Regards, Will G.

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I use MAAS, its like Flitz but finer.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mothers Billet polish is the least abrasive polish I have ever found. And, it's water based. It will not even leave the micro scratches that Flitz does.

Auto parts store. There's two Mothers polishes. You want the Billet polish.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
It's that time again. I opened up my python rug and can see that it's time to apply a polish once again. In the past I've used Flitz followed by Renaissance Wax just as an extra measure for storing away. The python is a 76' with a great nickel finish currently. I've also used Flitz in the past on my late fathers nickel Colt Trooper and it took some of the nickel off up front on the cylinders where Dad may have scrubbed the power rings up front a little too much and left a thinner nickel plating. When you see copper thru the nickel, thats not good at all! I do have Flitz to use but was wondering if forum users are using an alternative polish thats not too abrasive to use....maybe Mothers or another? Suggestions?

Flitz is non abrasive.

You shouldn't be seeing copper through nickle or chrome.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

Flitz is non abrasive.

You shouldn't be seeing copper through nickle or chrome.

Don't know what to say. After polishing it the last time before I sold the Trooper I noticed the copper color under the nickel showing through. Not really understanding Colts nickel process I had to search it to find that Colt used it before applying the nickel layer. I actually was surprised to see copper as I didn't expect it at all. Flitz may be non-abrasive but it's something you never want to see as mentioned above after polishing. And wasn't like that before I polished it with the Flitz. Could have been a poor nickel finish job on the gun from however my father cleaned it in the past. I received it as part of his estate when he passed so I have no idea what kind of cleaners he may have used prior if the finish was so thin. Like mentioned, I'm going to try the Semichrome I ordered followed with the Renaissance on my python which has an excellent nickel finish, almost near mint, and I'll try to keep it that way for as long as I'm able.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
Just MHO, but I believe any "rug" whether fleece, sheepskin, or other material has the potential to trap moisture and degrade the finish. My boss kept a stainless Kimber in a rug on the seat of his pickup and was aghast to discover discoloration after a few months. Was during winter and he tracked snow into the cab which melted and upped the humidity. Probably doesn't happen in a gun safe, but I don't store firearms in holsters, rugs, or cases.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I have used the rugs now for almost 9 years for two firearms. Both have small packs of dessiccant inside with them just in case also. So far so good. They do stay mostly in an air conditioned environment also so humidity is fairly low most of the time.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
I like Mothers Billet Polish. It is a less aggressive than any of the polishes mentioned above and slightly less aggressive than Mothers Mag Polish.

A good rule is any polish that can be used on silver or gold.

You can obtain the Mothers Billet Polish from Amazon.com if you do not find it locally.

Posts: 282 | Location: Lake Martin, Alabama | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
flitz and mothers are chemical treatments. They pick up minute particles from the surface being polished, and those become the barasives. Otherwise, they're chemical treatments. They're not appropriate for all surfaces.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mother's is much more abrasive.

Hmmmmm.
What about for the INSIDE of the chambers on a revolver???
I have a Ruger SP101 that seems to cling to crud inside the chambers in the worst way.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post