SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pros and Cons on the P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros and Cons on the P320 Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted
Would like some opinions, have read a lot of not going into Battery.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a full (Tacops) and a compact. 200 rounds each, no malfunctions of any kind. I have NOT had the voluntary upgrade.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schrack:

I have read of one such incident here; are you reading about the problem elsewhere as well?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
two were here and one of the others had one on, I was thinking about a p230 in 9mm, I went to the local shop and the guy laughed when I said I had an extra P-7 PSP I might like to trade. He kinda thought it would be a bad trade on my part. (offered me $1000 for the P-7). He also stated the pistol had a few problems and were recalled on some models.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
two were here and one of the others had one on, I was thinking about a p230 in 9mm, I went to the local shop and the guy laughed when I said I had an extra P-7 PSP I might like to trade. He kinda thought it would be a bad trade on my part. (offered me $1000 for the P-7). He also stated the pistol had a few problems and were recalled on some models.

Your thread title says 320 but your words here say 230. I'm guessing you mis-typed and meant P7 for the 320? Either way, I wouldn't make that trade; you would lose out.

As far as the 320, I love mine. I have the 320 compact 45. It's fits my hands great, has very manageable recoil and just feels right.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep that is a bad trade by about a factor of 2. As for failures, I think you are safe to buy one in that regard. I own 3 and one of them bobbled a bit through the first 100 rounds then straightened out and nothing since. I also shoot the cheapest Tula/Wolf I can buy which certainly isn’t ideal.

Obvious con is that if you buy one now you should send it in for the upgrade. Other than that I got nothing. Love mine. Love. Best overall striker gun I have ever fired or handled. Not best at everything but the best overall package to my mind.

Buy with confidence.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
quote:
two were here and one of the others had one on, I was thinking about a P320 in 9mm, I went to the local shop and the guy laughed when I said I had an extra H&K P7 PSP I might like to trade. He kinda thought it would be a bad trade on my part. (offered me $1000 for the P-7). He also stated the pistol had a few problems and were recalled on some models.

posted Hide Post
Never heard of or experienced such an incident. (I have 2 320's that I shoot regularly)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pro of the P320, aside from it's comfortable grip and ease of use, is the trigger. It's a great trigger (which can be improved, I'm told). It's very easy to shoot.

It's got a higher bore axis than some other pistols, and the grip angle is more up-down rather than angled. It's got complicated internals.

It's very easy to change from one size pistol to another, and frames are cheap. While the caliber conversion kits are about the same cost as a new pistol and are sometimes hard to come by, one can go from a subcompact to carry to full size with kits or components, as well, and swapping them is very easy.

Magazines are a bit expensive, but can be had reasonably with a bit of shopping. The magazines are reasonably tough. Not Glock drop tough, but they hold up well. No issues thus far.

I have multiples, mostly of the Carry, but also the subcompact and the full size. As with other pistols, I like the full size best, but considering the Carry is basically a plastic P229 in overall size with a thinner, more ergonomic grip, that size works really well for concealment or general carry. I found that I like pocket carry best for subcompact pistols, or ankle carry, and the P320 subcompact works great in the pocket (or belt). I haven't put it on my ankle, yet.

The subcompact size is basically a two-finger grip, and I thought it felt odd initially (more comfortable with a G33/G26), but in use it turned out to be quite practical. To me the grip feels small, thin, stubby, compared to the slide, but it works really well when shooting. It also makes it a bit easier to pocket (DeSantis pocket holster).

The Glock and others like it sit at a half-cock state, while the P320 is essentially fully cocked (which is why it's got a short, light trigger). It's got no trigger safety, so pocket use may not be the preferred for most. I usually carry either a revolver or a G43 or G33 in my pocket, so it's unlikely the P320 will take over that role for my use.

The P320 does not have the range of options and aftermarket things that are available for a Glock, but then I don't put most of that on my Glocks, either. I run them as close to stock as I can, with minor changes such as sights. Other than sights, I won't me making any modifications or changes to the P320's, except that a few may go off to Bruce Gray once all the upgrade hype dies down and a clear path is visible.

I'm not big on colored pistols, and when I hear shooters going ga-ga over the latest color I'm reminded of a bunch of teen girls...but that said, I have a P320 carry in flat dark earth, what looks more like a brown and copper finish, that's actually pleasing. For inside the waistband carry, it's a bit less obvious under a shirt, than a black pistol, if I'm wearing lighter clothing. The finish has held up well, so far. It also wipes clean, which is nice.

All mine came with Sig night sights, which are okay, but which are gradually getting replaced with Trijicon HD's. I like the orange front and wider rear notch on the Trijicon's, so the extra expense is worth it to me.

I haven't sent any of mine off for the upgrade yet (Sig hasn't contacted me yet), though they're all registered. I'm still on the fence as whether I'll do so, and may not get them all done. I don't feel they're problematic as they are now. I have no worries about them as stock, but there is also the duty/liability of carrying one not upgraded, in today's society. The internals on the P320 are so complicated and convoluted now that adding more little parts isn't necessarily a plus.

That's one area that's a big plus for me in pistols like the 1911 and the Glock; they're dirt simple inside and there's not a lot to go wrong. They're easily worked on with a single tool and anyone can do it. I'm not that conversant with working on a P320 to say the same, and the internals aren't blind-fold simple. Whether that matters to you or not is an individual choice.

I wouldn't have any reservations about owning a P320. (I don't now, and have continued buying them). I carry a Glock, but wouldn't have an issue with carrying the P320. It's a well thought-out pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short of the Vol. Upgrade, I've had no issues with my P320 after well over 1000 rounds. The lone exception was the battery dying on my Romeo1 after a month. New battery, no problem.

Pros: Great trigger, nice reset, very comfortable grip, very controllable recoil, hits where you aim it, modular grip module (I prefer the small over stock medium), great customer service.

Cons: the take down lever can be tight, but works in over time. After the upgrade, it is a little harder to reassemble after cleaning. but once you figure it out, it's easy. Some have found the Romeo1 (if you have the RX) to be less than robust (cracked lens, bent frames, etc. after dropping on the RDS). It is not an RMR, so don't treat it that way.

Otherwise... great pistol.

--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320RX, P229, P365XL
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Ruger 10/22 Custom Build, AR-556, Wrangler
Springfield Saint
Browning URX
Tippmann M4-22 Elite-L

Posts: 32 | Location: SE, PA USA | Registered: June 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No issues at all with my 9mm 320C. Not even a hint of a stoppage thus far (~400 rounds). I am pleased with it overall.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a June 2014 build 320 compact and a June 2017 320c Rx.

Both are excellent guns. Got better after the Vol. Upgrade. Got better with Talon grip tape.

There are over 500,000 out there and you heard a couple of claims of OOB issues. I'd bet more break-in shooting or ONE trip to Sig fixed those.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Thank You all for the info, Regards, Schrack

posted Hide Post
I'd definitely keep the P7! Be patient, if you really want a 320, you'll be able to get one at a good price whenever you want, they aren't going anywhere...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post