SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    AR Pistol Questions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Pistol Questions? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I am considering picking up an AR-Pistol.

It will be a "Truck gun" and "Range toy".

I've seen several like this.

Can I legally put a "brace" on this gun?
Is the ATI Polymer lower still a bad idea for .223/5.56?
Any other considerations?
finally, can you post and describe your builds?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brace away.

With as cheap as forged lowers are just grab a forged lower.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
My 7.5" is similar to the photo and I don't see any need for the various forms of braces so popular.

The foam-covered buffer tube makes a cheek weld and I make headshots (on paper) at 50 yards.

I qual with it every year during rifle qual right along with the 11.5 SBR on the same course.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I contemplated the same thing and after a good deal of research I decided on a 9mm pistol. The lower is mil-spec with a dedicated block to convert to 9mm. But, it can be taken out to accommodate other calibers. I am also 7 months in on an SBR stamp. 5.56 pistols are loud and if at an indoor range obnoxious. If you can, look into pistol calibers. They are a lot of fun to shoot and great indoor/outdoor range toys. The one below is mine and has since lost an inch in length due to the new shorter SiCo 3-Lug mount. And as Phelen said, "Brace away". It looks better.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I too, may be headed down this road. Many
many pictures online show pistols that don't have sights or optics. Are people actually using them without sights? Or is it a 'it looks better in the picture without' type of thing?

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Hey Rolan...I've had no experience with ATI rifles or pistols (other than picking one up at Sportsman's Warehouse)...so personally all I can base my opinions on would be various reviews on the interwebs which is not that good...

I built my AR15 pistol earlier this year using a Ballistic Advantage stripped lower that I bought locally for for around $70 out the door...just make sure the lower is transferred as "other" or "pistol" and not as a rifle...

I used a lower parts kit without the trigger group from Tom's Tactical which was under $30...
along the nickel Teflon trigger group also from Tom's Tactical for $38 for $68 for both with free shipping...they also have standard trigger lower parts kits for under $50...but that nickel Teflon trigger is a great trigger for the money...

I ordered a KAK blade/buffer tube from Brownell's on sale w/a free shipping deal...off the top of my head is was under $80...

The upper was from a PSA "daily deal for $319 w/free shipping...it came with a BCG, charging handle, free float M-Lok hand guard, KAK flash can and front and rear Magpul BUS set...

All total it was around $550...it functions perfectly and for me it was a reasonably priced build...I did splurge on the LAW folding stock adapter Cool (which I did not add to the $550 basic build price)...

PSA has these 10.5" uppers without BCG or charging handle on a "daily "deal"...

http://palmettostatearmory.com...g-handle-507020.html

And these complete for $299...just add a built lower and KAK Shockwave pistol brace kit and you are good to go...

http://palmettostatearmory.com...-can-5164471281.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Please keep them coming.

I already have 2 CZ 9mm (Pistol and carbine), so I want to stick with 223.

Bisley, I'm interested in that LAW folding stock adapter. Do you just "flip it out" or do you have to latch it so the buffer tube works?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Rolan...it folds to the side and stays folded by an adjustable friction screw/hinge...when it's in the folded position there is a "tab" that keeps the BCG from moving rearward so the gun can't be charged in the folded position. Technically, if there is a chambered round with the stock folded, that one round could be fired...but with the tab stopping rearward movement of the BCG the empty will not eject...

To make the pistol function...just fold the stock from the folded position to the regular open position...there is a locking lug on the adapter that catches and locks the buffer tube/brace/ or stock (if you are using it on a rifle) in position and at the same time moves the tab away to allow the BCG to move into the buffer tube so everything works the same as a fixed buffer tube...

To fold it you press a button on the adapter to unlock it and fold it to the side (the tab moves back into position to retain the BCG from moving rearward to where the buffer tube would normally be...

On thing I noticed was when I had the SIG pistol brace installed on the LAW adapter...the extra weight of the SIG brace caused the stock to unfold under it's own weight from gravity...this plus the thinness of the KAK blade, made me change over to it...it's so much lighter and way less bulky...

I've put at least 600 rounds through the pistol and have zero issues with the upper or the adapter/brace...

It's a little spendy and adds weight...but it is well made...from time to time Brownell's run them on sale for $199...when I ordered mine I added a 3 pack of gas rings to bring the order up to over $200 and used the code H7L to knock off $20 with free shipping...that's been a long running code that doesn't have a "use by date" so it should be valid...

https://www.lawtactical.com/ar..._gen_3_m_p/99312.htm

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Rolan...it folds to the side and stays folded by an adjustable friction screw/hinge...when it's in the folded position there is a "tab" that keeps the BCG from moving rearward so the gun can't be charged in the folded position. Technically, if there is a chambered round with the stock folded, that one round could be fired...but with the tab stopping rearward movement of the BCG the empty will not eject...

To make the pistol function...just fold the stock from the folded position to the regular open position...there is a locking lug on the adapter that catches and locks the buffer tube/brace/ or stock (if you are using it on a rifle) in position and at the same time moves the tab away to allow the BCG to move into the buffer tube so everything works the same as a fixed buffer tube...

To fold it you press a button on the adapter to unlock it and fold it to the side (the tab moves back into position to retain the BCG from moving rearward to where the buffer tube would normally be...

On thing I noticed was when I had the SIG pistol brace installed on the LAW adapter...the extra weight of the SIG brace caused the stock to unfold under it's own weight from gravity...this plus the thinness of the KAK blade, made me change over to it...it's so much lighter and way less bulky...

I've put at least 600 rounds through the pistol and have zero issues with the upper or the adapter/brace...

It's a little spendy and adds weight...but it is well made...from time to time Brownell's run them on sale for $199...when I ordered mine I added a 3 pack of gas rings to bring the order up to over $200 and used the code H7L to knock off $20 with free shipping...

https://www.lawtactical.com/ar..._gen_3_m_p/99312.htm

Perfect! Thanks.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
If you have an AR Pistol - why not suppress it?

You can even have a can pinned/welded and utilize a real stock while forgoing the SBR Stamp.

I would look at calibers other than 5.56 - perhaps a 9mm set up or a 300 BO configuration.

Have fun !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

You can even have a can pinned/welded and utilize a real stock while forgoing the SBR Stamp.

Are you sure this is correct?

I wouldnt think this would be legal since you can still take the suppressor apart to clean it. Pinning and welding it wouldnt make a difference.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 9mm, 308 , 556 ar pistols.

they can be fun to shoot

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

I wouldnt think this would be legal since you can still take the suppressor apart to clean it. Pinning and welding it wouldnt make a difference.

as long as the barrel and the outer housing are pinned to make it a 16" overall length. If you can make it shorter than 16" by taking it apart it would be illegal

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have identical 5.56 and 9mm pistols, both with Sig braces. I would have gone KAK but already had the Sig's.
Both shoot easy and are 10.5" barrels with KAK flash cans (makes a big difference in 5.56)
The 9 is much quieter and is the house gun for that reason. 5.56 is a fun gun, but I do use it for coyotes at night.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

Yes, I am correct. You need a stamp for the actual suppressor, but if you pin a suppressor and the firearm meets the overall length requirement, you do not have an SBR. I agree that I would not try this with a suppressor that when taken apart, reduces the overall length.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have owned several AR-platform pistols and offer this advice.

1. Unless you have a specific need for a rifle chambering (e.g., 5.56x45mm, .300 BO) go with a pistol caliber, 9x19mm being the most common, though .22LR, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP versions exist.

2. The pistol brace makes these almost an NFA-stamped SBR, but without the tax or year-long wait. I do not like the "blade " style, as they focus recoil energy into a narrow strip. I have the SB-15 brace on a SIG 556XI in 7.62x39mm I bought to have a .30 caliber Riftol [FN1]. They work okay, but the Maxim CQB pistol brace is 1x10^1000000000 times better. I have one of these on my Palmetto State Armory PA-X9 9x19mm AR-style pistol. That brace on that pistol is AWESOME.

3. If you go the route of a pistol chambering, I say get the Palmetto State Armory PA-X9 9x19mm AR-style pistol that takes Glock 9x19mm magazines. It is inexpensive, yet will take standard G17 mags, the 33-round Glock stick mag, or the http://RWB 50-round drum magazine. You can find the 33-round magazines easily for around $25-30. I've owned a Rock River Arms 9x19mm rifle, and while I never had a problem with it, it was almost twice the price of a PSA PA-X9. Now one other observation about this pistol. If you can find a bolt carrier in .40 S&W (e.g., from Rock River) and get a barrel in .357SIG, you can easily build a pistol out in .357SIG. That has always intrigued me, as that cartridge from a 10.5 inch barrel has surprising ballistics.

4. Get a micro red dot sight (MRDS). I'm an old school metallic sight user, but I recently changed to use low magnification optical sight on my SBR in 5.56x45mm and my AR-pattern .300BO rifle. I decided that was overkill for a pistol caliber pistol, so I found a SIG Romeo 3 for sale in the Classified here and holy moly, those things are AWESOME. On my PSA PA-X9, I easily nail sub-3 second double tap head shots at 50 yards from the low ready.

5. My next idea is to get a FosTech Echo II to drop into my PA-X9 with its Maxim pistol brace and my AAC EVO-9 suppressor. Kinda like this:

6. Whatever you do, jump now while AR-pistols are inexpensive.

FN1 Riftol is my invented word for these rifle-pistolish contraptions - sounds better than the other way round - a Pisfle.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 9" BCM upper in .300 Black in NOV., and got the BCM lower for myself for Christmas.

Finally got to the range Saturday, ran Troy HK Iron BUIS, and used a Gearhead Works Tailhook Brace, It's an aluminum "stock" that clamps securely on the buffer tube, and looks like it belongs there.

I shouldered it "accidentally" and ran through several pre-programed training scenarios on my range's electronic system, after getting the irons regulated.

I did get a bit of gas on the cheek from having my face so close to the charging handle, I shoot a long gun lefty, and got a couple of brushes with brass casings, but nothing full in the face, more like flybys.

I'm now a big fan of a pistol AR's, as in my state they are treated just like handguns and can be kept loaded in the vehicle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: matthew03,

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Here's mine. 10.5" 5.56. Just an El Cheapo PSA build but it's been 100% so far and indestructible.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
< snip >

I'm now a big fan of a pistol AR's, as in my state they are treated just like handguns and can be kept loaded in the vehicle.

Be advised, VA police are not really well versed in the legality of Riftols.

Some will tell you for certain that it is an illegal "machinegun"/SBR/sawedoff shotgun, others haven't a clue what they are, and only a tiny number actually know that these are legally handguns and are subject to the same laws and regulations as their duty pistol.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
< snip >

Be advised, VA police are not really well versed in the legality of Riftols.

Some will tell you for certain that it is an illegal "machinegun"/SBR/sawedoff shotgun, others haven't a clue what they are, and only a tiny number actually know that these are legally handguns and are subject to the same laws and regulations as their duty pistol.

Thanks, I figured as much. I rarely have any interaction with LEO's unless they are personal friends.

I'll bag the .300B in something discreet on your advice. I'm looking at the Sneaky Bags discreet rifle bag, I have their Spyder for my M4V7, and it's awesome.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post