SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Luger w board stock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luger w board stock Login/Join 
posted
So I've set my sights on a Luger and think I have a line on one. I've been looking up the various options for a stock and have seen a lot of the board stocks out there. Has anyone ever tried on of these out? If so how did it work out? I've seen these and the ones that look like broomhandle stocks where the pistol actually fits inside but I don't see a lot of info from people who have used them.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Does the attachment of a shoulder stock to a pistol create a SBR?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From some reading it seems the ATF has excempted original Broomhandles and Lugers from the NFA. You cannot however do the same to a more recent version but artillery Lugers and such are ok.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
IIRC only the artillery version of the Luger can be used with a stock.

But any Broom-handled Mauser can be used with a stock.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've seen repro's for well under a hundred bucks at shows occasionally. FAR cheaper than a real one.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only original Artillery and Navy Lugers are legal with a stock, and it MUST be the correct type of stock that came from the factory for the Arty, and the Navy(they are different stocks). No stock is legal on a short bbl. Luger unless you registered it as a SBR.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification on the stocks. Does any one know if it has to be an all matching artillery Luger or simply in correct Artillery configuration with proper date range?

posted Hide Post
I used to have an artillery luger with a reproduction stock and holster that used an original metal piece at the end of the stock to attach to the pistol. ATF issued a letter exempting the combination by serial number and chamber date. This was a long time ago and they may have issued a Federal Register notice with a more general exemption in the mean time.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Thanks for the clarification on the stocks. Does any one know if it has to be an all matching artillery Luger or simply in correct Artillery configuration with proper date range?

It does not have to be an all matching arty to be legal with a stock......but the Luger has to be a true arty, and not something that someone made up as a "clone" from a short bbl. Luger.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to purchase a mismatch Luger from a guy locally and it has both an arty barrel with an additional short barrel. Maybe the best bet is to do as above and write the ATF to have a letter if it's approved so that it's settled.

posted Hide Post
Is the barrel on the pistol you are considering a true artillery barrel (rear sight mounted on the barrel itself) or just a plain 8" long replacement barrel?

If the rear sight is on the back link of the toggle it's not ever going to be an artillery model. An 8" barrel Luger, yes. But not an artillery and therefore not BATF legal even with the "proper" arty. stock.

If you want to get really "picky" -- the receiver should be 1914 thru 1918 dated and the toggle marking should be Erfurt (w/crown) or DWM.

Yes, I'm aware they made undated "commercial" artillery Lugers post WW1, however they're very rare and pricey!

Good luck with your Luger.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The barrel has the rifle style correct Arty 800 rear with the base on the barrel. It has a 1916 date receiver code and is an Erfurt w Crown. I'm buying it no matter what but I was just thinking of picking up parts for it before it gets transferred to me so I wouldn't have to delay running out to the range

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Only original Artillery and Navy Lugers are legal with a stock, and it MUST be the correct type of stock that came from the factory for the Arty, and the Navy(they are different stocks). No stock is legal on a short bbl. Luger unless you registered it as a SBR.

How is anyone going to know if a Luger was originally a Navy or Artillery model? And, why would a stock be legal on a 6" gun, but not a 4" gun that also came from the factory with stock lug? Not really challenging your assertion, but the law, as described would be all but unenforceable, with replacement parts available to configure a Luger about any way you want.

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickBe:
quote:

How is anyone going to know if a Luger was originally a Navy or Artillery model? And, why would a stock be legal on a 6" gun, but not a 4" gun that also came from the factory with stock lug? Not really challenging your assertion, but the law, as described would be all but unenforceable, with replacement parts available to configure a Luger about any way you want.

The original Navy and Arty Lugers had different sight arrangements on the bbls. and toggle link, than the P08 short bbl. Lugers, so are easy to differentiate. They had factory stocks issued with them to personnel. The P08 short bbl. Lugers were never issued with wooden stocks, as the factory never made stocks for them. The stock lug was retained on the P08 short bbl. Lugers to aid in the manufacturing process. Not all P08 short bbl. Lugers had stock lugs. Could one reproduce a Navy Luger, given access to an adequate "parts inventory"?? Yes, one could.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'm looking to purchase a mismatch Luger from a guy locally and it has both an arty barrel with an additional short barrel. Maybe the best bet is to do as above and write the ATF to have a letter if it's approved so that it's settled.

This Luger will NOT be legal with the short bbl. installed with the stock, so be very careful.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC
This Luger will NOT be legal with the short bbl. installed with the stock, so be very careful.

Got it, thanks for the guidance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RickBe:
quote:

The original Navy and Arty Lugers had different sight arrangements on the bbls. and toggle link, than the P08 short bbl. Lugers, so are easy to differentiate. They had factory stocks issued with them to personnel. The P08 short bbl. Lugers were never issued with wooden stocks, as the factory never made stocks for them. The stock lug was retained on the P08 short bbl. Lugers to aid in the manufacturing process. Not all P08 short bbl. Lugers had stock lugs. Could one reproduce a Navy Luger, given access to an adequate "parts inventory"?? Yes, one could.

I have two 1913 dated 4' barrel (P08's) one with stock lug and one with out, both are original. The German military never issued other than Artillery and Navy Lugers with "factory board stocks". However factory stocks were issued with short barrel military Lugers!

Factory (arty. style) board stocks were issued with many of the 5,000+ Finnish military contract Lugers purchased from DWM between 1923 and 1935. These pistols were .30 caliber with 3-5/8" barrels and a round brass ID disk inleted into the wood grips. Some holsters furnished had loops to hold the detached board stocks.

I have a Finnish rig with the Finn military replacement 9mm, 4-3/4" Tika barrel and Finn black plastic grips. It has a green leather holster with stock loops.

On/around Feb. 07, 2012 the BATF removed 95 mm and 120 mm barreled Finnish Lugers with German or Finnish made stocks from BATF controls.

So there are some short barrel Lugers that are BATF legal with the correct original (or exact replica) stock.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this information....I stand corrected. I was focused on the German Lugers issued during the two wars.