SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magazine Issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine Issues Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a reconditioned "Salesmans Sample"
P-229.
Pistol has been reconditioned by Sig. No issues with pistol, it has a German built frame and is in 100% condition.
Issue is with furnished magazines. Extremely heavy springs and both magazines want to jam up after 5 rounds inserted. I was able to load 10 rounds in one magazine, but other one only allows 5 rounds. My pistol ic .40 S&W> Magazine with 5 rounds is stamped .40 S&W and .357 Sig. Is this a typical problem? I need some guidance..

Thanks.

Posts: 15 | Location: Katy/Del Rio Texas | Registered: July 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Disassemble them, clean them, make sure they are assembled properly.

Once that is done load them as far as you can and let them sit that way. Use at range rinse repeat.

I cannot say SIG mags were ever very difficult to load. Some Glock mags yes.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
This might be a condescending question, but I don’t mean it that way, so please indulge me.

Are you familiar with semi automatic handguns or new to them? New folks can sometimes have a bear of a time loading mags.

Again I mean no disrespect with my question and honestly you may very well be waaaay more skilled then I. I just always start by looking for the simple root causes.

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 82 years old, I own 1911's, Sig Mosquito, Sig P6, Sig P239, and several Rugers.
I reload, do some smithing on rifle triggers and own a ranch in West Texas. This is not my first rodeo, it's just the worst situation for trying to load a magazine I have ever experienced.
Truthfully, I have never disassembled a pistol magazine..reason?? I have never had the need to experiment.
Supposedly, Sig replaced ALL the springs in the reconditioned pistol..dunno about the magazines.

Posts: 15 | Location: Katy/Del Rio Texas | Registered: July 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Again, no disrespect meant by my question.

That being said definitely disassemble and make sure the spring is oriented properly and not binding on something.

I have absolutely seen factory new mags put together wrong or have something inside the mag body cause an issue. Not with SIG mags though.

Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to purchase a Maglula magazine loader. About $25 on Amazon and worth an absolute fortune when trying to load uncooperative magazines. Best $25 gun-related investment I ever made in 50 years of shooting.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Totally not the same as an all metal SIG mag, but something to consider as to why disassemble a mag for inspection.

Here is a brand new Glock 17 magazine that would not load past 8 rounds for the life of me.
As you can see from the pic, part of the plastic flash has snagged on the magazine spring.

Doesn't hurt to take a look inside, maybe somehow, some way, the springs are upside-down, or maybe not even the correct springs for that magazine.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disassembled magazine,everything seemed to be correcrly assembled. Spring had sticky substance on it (Cosmoline residue??).
Cleaned spring and wiped it with Kroil.
Reassembled with difficulty...the spring is strong enough to launch a torpedo.
Result?? I was able to load 10 rounds.
I like the suggestion to let it sit...maybe for a year to weaken the spring a bit.
See picture..thanks for the help!

[IMG:top] [/IMG]

posted Hide Post
And these are marked as 12 round or 10 round mags?

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sitting loaded will help; repeatedly loading and unloading will help more. Load it up, go shoot, then do it again. And again.

Some mags are just stiff; the uplula device helps with loading some of the stiffer mags. Sounds like cleaning internally helped. Watch out with the kroil in the mag body though; you don't want any attracting dust or migrating to the primers.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
And these are marked as 12 round or 10 round mags?

They are marked 12 round. I have a loader ordered and in the mail. I do not think it will allow the full mag load until the springs relax a bit.

posted Hide Post
Big Satan,

I have often found that mags can have some really gummy packing oil in them. This dries out and collects dust. Even if not dusty the oil is really sticky. It can and will impede the followers moving up and down freely. If you take a look at my ruger p85 thread :
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4510082244

You can see what I am talking about in a few pictures of the magazines. Take the base plate off, catch the bottom tab and spring. wipe everything down with a solvent rag. scrub it all clean. dry it with a clean rag, re-oil an oil dipped rag till it operates smoothly.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the OP has already done it, but I would just like to reiterate that importance of disassembling magazines if there’s any hint of a loading/feeding issue.
I’ve been in the firearms retail business for over 20 years: I’ve seen new magazines so loaded up with sticky preservative grease that the followers could barely move, and used magazines that were equally disfunctional because they were never cleaned, or worse yet, were “cleaned” by spraying random oily stuff into them where it can collect and congeal over the years. Have also frequently seen magazine springs installed upside down/backwards, and once had a magazine that came from the factory with two followers installed in it, one stacked on top of the other ...a real head scratcher as to why it wouldn’t take rounds, that became pretty obvious once it was taken apart. So, just saying, it’s never a bad idea to disassemble your magazines regularly, for inspection/ cleaning; even though I probably myself don’t do it as often as a should.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I was ably to fully load (12 rounds) both magazines yesterday. Pre loading them, partially, did the trick. Hopefully, the loader will make the job a bit easier.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

posted Hide Post
Glad to read you are getting them squared away.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post