SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammo safe organization question. <update>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo safe organization question. <update> Login/Join 
posted
I have one safe for mags, and ammo. I now have to many mags. I would like to find a hook backed mag pouch that i can attach to the door and store some of the larger mags there.

My biggest issue is, i need 3 rows of about 10-15 mags to really get any benefit out of this idea.

These come with the hook loop on the back side, but seem to have a lot of useless space.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is more along lines of what i was looking for, except it has a flap, and no hook backing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone know of a botique maker of such a product?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
This is more along lines of what i was looking for, except it has a flap, and no hook backing.

My suggestion for that one would be to cut the flap off, seal the cut edge with a flame, and glue hook strips to the back of the pouch with Shoe GOO or something similar.
That pouch is pretty inexpensive, and what’s the likelihood that you would ever want to use it in its original configuration?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I've gotten good stuff from these guys, & they do custom work as well.
https://wildecustomgear.com/

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at one of the mills organizer panels? You can cover the whole door and then add any mills accessory you like.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
mills organizer panels

no, I have not. I am doing a search now.

This is a "media" safe. It just has horizontal shelves. no rifle portion. All my shelving is some form of ammo or mags. I would like to put some of the more numerous 22lr mags on the door to free up as much space as possible.
15 sw victory
10 p226 22lr
10 87T mags
10 sw 41 mags
10 Xeese/Trailside mags

That does not include the 10 ar/22 25 round black dog mags I have. Or the actual number of pistol mags for 9,40,357 sig,45 acp mags I have.

I have 5 shelves if I place one set of 10 or 20 mag holders between the 4 space I have. That would alleviate a fair portion of the safe congestion.

The standard door organizers may not work, as the door closes within a 1/4 inch or so of the edge of shelves. This limits me to putting things between the shelf levels. So far I am liking lining the 10 mag pouch with velcro and sticking it to the carpet on the door.

The main ammo safe

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would need multiple safes if I stored ammo and mags in them, not sure why you would need to. Ammo in cans stacked on shelves in garage and I commandeered one of the linen closets in the house for stacking mags in.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Would need multiple safes if I stored ammo and mags in them, not sure why you would need to. Ammo in cans stacked on shelves in garage and I commandeered one of the linen closets in the house for stacking mags in.

1 I don't have a garage,
2 I have 3 70x40x28 safes. This one stores ammo and mags. Because I have kids and this is how i choose to do it.
3 I have been broken into many times through out my life. Never since owning a safe. Thankfully. Even though it has not happened since, I want nothing firearm related easily transportable. ammo cans are just that.

posted Hide Post
You realize when you die your widow is just going to have to get rid of all that shit that hasn't been used in the last 18 years anyway, right? Big Grin

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheMan:
You realize when you die your widow is just going to have to get rid of all that shit that hasn't been used in the last 18 years anyway, right? Big Grin

I keep it in the safe other wise she would shoot it all. Her and my daughter...

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I use ammo cans and stack them in a lockable steel cabinet,

with your setup, you could look at tupperware type containers for stuff (label on end and stack them up) or even just cardboard boxes for the ammo,

no experience with the door stuff to recommend any

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meant to say Molle panel. Autocorrect got me and I didn't catch it on original post.
Something like this as an example Etsy
Allows you to use any existing Pals/Molle accessory u already have. I use M60 pouches to store AR mags & Midway or Tiff Products pouches. I have 50 cal cans too for bulk mags (92, 226, glock).
My Browning has a door organizer already built in or I'd do this as well. Will use on the next safe for sure.

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I use something like this screwed to the inside of my safe door. I keep mags and holsters together for each pistol. You can cut it to fit the size of your door.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your problem as they say in the industry is high and tie. That single row of mags, its wasting a ton of space. get them in Tupperware or something and put stuff above them before you head for the door.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get some 30 and 50 cal ammo cans for mags you are just storing and the 7-qt steralite bins for ‘in use’ mags.

I don’t have safe for the ammo but I use a lockable walk in closet to keep little hands away from ammo.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
What Tailhook referenced. You can use it in the safe or attached to the side.
Empty mags I place in large clear plastic bins on TOP of the safes.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Your problem as they say in the industry is high and tie. That single row of mags, its wasting a ton of space. get them in Tupperware or something and put stuff above them before you head for the door.

That is a good thought. I will give it some thought today.

posted Hide Post
So here are the 10 slot pouches. I glued 4" wide strips of velcro to the back.

It has cleared up quite a bit of space.

posted Hide Post
The Velcro against the carpet inside the door is enough to hold them up? Tried 10 loaded mags yet?

posted Hide Post
Those are loaded mags. See pic above. I added a 4 wide strip of hook loop to the top flap lastnight. That gives each
Pouch 2 points of attachment.

posted Hide Post
I will have to remember that for the next safe. My current has one of those built in organizers with about no useful features.