SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Performance Center Shorty .40 mk3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Performance Center Shorty .40 mk3 Login/Join 
posted

The purchase of a couple of CHP turn-in S&W's rekindled my interest in the S&W 3rd gen's. This Performance Center gun is really very impressive. These were made in a few small batches in the 90's and I believe this mk3 example was produced in 1997. Relatively rare I think there were between 500-1500 made. They feature several Performance Center enhancements including handfit frame to slide, honed DA pull, match barrel and Briley titanium spherical bushing.

I found this example on gunbroker in excellent condition but with no box or paperwork and a few small scuffs it seemed perfect for a carry piece. I replaced the adjustable rear sight with the standard factory Novak style, and put about 300 flawless rounds down range. Accuracy is exceptional. This will definitely be going into my carry rotation and may push out my others before long.

These were also produced in 9mm and .45 in even smaller numbers, but they can be found on gunbroker from time to time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoastieLT,

Posts: 163 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Spiffy

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
NICEEEEEEEEEEEE

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats! Smile

That is a REAL Performance Center gun, from back when the name and famous logo actually meant something. Hang onto that one! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Great acquisition.

I'm a big fan of the original Performance Center semi-autos. Not so much with what they put out now.
I have the full set of Shorties - 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a few of the Briley bushing guns....I like 'em. Only problem is buying more...neither cheap or easy.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent find

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Now that's a real gun from Smith.

Good score and enjoy.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
Great guns. They were going for very short money in Massachusetts back in the late 90's. I once got a used Shorty .40 from a local dealer for $400 and a Novak tuned Performance Center 4006 for $450. Wish I held onto those!

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty! I've owned several PC guns from that era. Still have a couple, and wish I'd held on to them all.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Nice. I'm a Performance Center junkie. Wicked good craftsmen.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do the shorty 40's go for ?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Something just looks right when they black out a third gen smith.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I had one in the mid 90’s. Regret parting with it. Well put together pistol.

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post