SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Probably not going to buy a a Remington...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probably not going to buy a a Remington... Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not a chance

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rem 1911 new. Problems: I could not eject a live round; I had feeding issues with the Remington mags that came with the pistol, but not with other make magazines. Returned the pistol with a letter detailing both problems. Returned to me with a note saying the extractor was adjusted. I could then eject live rounds, but the mags still did not work reliably, although others did. I was irked by this, dumped the gun and will never buy another Remington.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Remington is a joke. Management, with their obvious shit decisions, has ruined the reputation of what was formerly one of the most reputable names in the gun industry.

That takes a lot of effort. You can't ruin a name like Remington over night. No sir, you've got to keep at it for years. Great job.

Quite literally, I would not take a new Remington firearm if you gave it to me.

Remington is the new Hi Point.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I'm fully aware I'm alone here but I want to see them get the 51 right, but I like strange guns.

Consider a Volquartsen Cheetah, Steyr-Hahn 1911, Calico Liberty III, or a Grendel P-31 instead. You'll want to shoot the P-31 more until you have to take it apart to clean it...

Then you'll wish you just got a plain old 1911 in .17mach2.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
The high polish 1911 has piqued my interest. Maybe.

I am going to avoid their polymer guns.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If I tripped over some old school Police Magnum 870's with blueing and wood stocks, police trade, I might buy em for giggles.

Otherwise, nope.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might buy the basic R1 1911 if the price was right. The 870 Wingmaster and 1100 are still pretty nice. I like the new V3 Shotgun but thats about all that I would consider.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3529 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If anyone spots a Remington-branded Baikal MZ18 in 7.62x39, sing out please.

Holy cats, I just realized something. With Remington, you buy the imports but not anything produced in the US. You know, like Century Arms.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
The Versa Max Competition has been stellar - no hiccups.

I took an R1 away from someone I cared about and bought her a P229 instead. Wink

The R1 to me is like an 80% project gun. I had to send it back for repair right away. Then, it had feeding problems. Customer service was very good. They even did a nice trigger job with the repair.

To me, the R1 does not feel solid when shooting it for some reason. Mine also has non-standard sights. I intend to jack up the radiator cap and put a new gun under it.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm in the R1 is good if you get a deal on them crowd. I bought 2 R1s on sale at Acadmy Sports to play with. I picked up a R1 enhanced pre-owned but never shot for 500. They guy bought it on a Tuesday, took it home, his wife said no and he brought it back the next day. I also picked up an enhanced with a threaded barrel on sale. The standard R1s have a proprietary dovetail angle on the rear site, so your stuck with factory sights unless you get the slide milled. The enhanced slides are good to go. I have not had any problems out of any of them. I'll pass on any other Remington pistol though.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have several older Rem shotguns that have worked perfectly over the years. I recently bought a 870 that would not make it through one magazine (tube) without a failure to feed. After 5 trips to the gun hacks of their choice (no in-house warranty work any more), I gave up on them. Even the cheap knock off are more reliable. Good bye Remington.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That takes a lot of effort. You can't ruin a name like Remington over night. No sir, you've got to keep at it for years. Great job....Remington is the new Hi Point.

Growing up, if you wanted a damn fine, uber reliable shotgun that never, ever quit, you got an 870. Hunting rifles? The 700 series was a solid as a rock, no one would even pause to think "Is this thing assembled right? Are the sights even straight?"

Remington was my favorite long arm brand, period, hands down. It was just so dependable it was boring. It makes me nearly physically sick the way the Freedom Group has run it into the dirt, trying to squeeze every freakin' penny out of its soul, just to meet a price point so a smidge more profit could be had.

It's ironic that Remington's brand color is green, because that's the color of greed, and greed is what murdered it.

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, not even remotely considering a Remington handgun. The two Remingtons I have are a model 700 and a Remington Mosin Nagant M1891 rifle.

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have an old Model 51. And I would still be interested in one of the R51 pistols if (and that's a BIG if) I heard from the hive mind that they were now flawless. As that appears vanishingly unlikely...

I guess my answer is, unfortunately, no new Remington's for the foreseeable future.

I would however remind everyone that Sig appeared to have lost its way for a while. Yet, they have refound the path to righteousness.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The way thier rifles and shotguns have fallen from grace you'd have to be crazy to want to try one of their handguns. I've never even given them the time of day. I cherish my old M700 and despise the shell of the company that is left today.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
The 1911 line is over priced

They were the king of bolt action rifles, but Savage, Ruger, Tikka left them in the dust.

I got rid of the 870 for a Benelli Nova a long time ago

The Golden Sabre line of ammunition is very good, but over priced

This. The only exception might be an 870 Wingmaster, but I don't know if they're making them anymore. And, only if the quality is still there (doubtfull maybe).

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I have an old Model 51. And I would still be interested in one of the R51 pistols if (and that's a BIG if) I heard from the hive mind that they were now flawless. As that appears vanishingly unlikely...

I guess my answer is, unfortunately, no new Remington's for the foreseeable future.

I would however remind everyone that Sig appeared to have lost its way for a while. Yet, they have refound the path to righteousness.

I would suspect that could happen with Remington, but not until it gets really really bad and their executives get thrown out by new owners who love guns. Hell if I were one of those guys I'd tell the world that Remington is done selling shit, and that we would make guns as good as the Italians and Germans, but in styles and designs that are 100% American.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am dating myself but I lost interest in Remington when they discontinued the Nylon 66.
I thought it was innovative and ahead of its time. Very Glock like if you think about it. Mine was great shooter too. Like an idiot I sold it.
If you can find an old school 870P, snatch it up.
And buying up Marlin and trashing the brand?
Blasphemy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the R51 v2. I purchased it in August of last year. After some 400 rounds it broke; it froze shut and I sent it to Remington. In November of last year Remington sent me a new one. The trigger did not work; it just would not reset. Back it went to Remington and in January of this year I received a new one. I have more than 500 rounds of 124 and 147 grain ammo. It is flawless, accurate and the only complaint i have is the difficulty in field stripping and putting back together; a greased gun that slips from your fingers when you are attempting to hold the barrel just to get it back together is a problem.
I do not think I will buy another Remington pistol.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post