SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Probably not going to buy a a Remington...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probably not going to buy a a Remington... Login/Join 
Picture of RioGrande481
posted
With all the recent issues, like the disastrous initial launch of the R51 and the issues many seem to be having with the RP9, it seems Remington's new-design pistols are troubled.

This is too bad, their 1911s seem great and at least the idea of a 15+1 RP45 has appeal.

Question:
Would you buy a new Remington pistol?

Choices:
Yes, even the R51 and/or RP9/RP45
Yes, but only 1911s
Yes, I did already no regrets
No, I bought one and regret it
No, no Remington pistols at all

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, Remington needs to go back to what they were always good at-quality rifles and shotguns.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have liked, but not enough to buy, their "basic" 1911, the one whose only "bells and whistles" are large three-dot sights and a lowered ejection port. Do they even make that one any more? No other Remington handguns "trip my trigger," certainly not the "R-Pus."

quote:
... and the issues many seem to be having with the RP9 ...

If that is true, it's a lesson to not be too quick to buy a brand new design, which often have problems that have to be corrected with a "second generation." No maker, even SIG, is immune to this, but Remington especially can't afford it.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I would probably just stick to their rifles and shotguns.

Their 1911's seem okay, but there are other reputable brands in that price point that I might go to first.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased 2 870's a 12 and 20 guage and an R1 enhanced 1911 and they have all been outstanding. I've put a lot of rounds through all of these already and I can say that mine are rock solid.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Remingtons or anything else from that fat-assed conglomerate...what a sham that entity has become...

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
The 1911 line is over priced

They were the king of bolt action rifles, but Savage, Ruger, Tikka left them in the dust.

I got rid of the 870 for a Benelli Nova a long time ago

The Golden Sabre line of ammunition is very good, but over priced

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Their 1911's are fine except somewhat priced too high. I wouldn't buy a pistol from a company that has difficulties maintaining product quality on rifles that helped establish their brand. C'mon man

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In August of last year I bought an R51. After some 400 rnds it jamed shut. I sent to Remington and in November they sent a new one. The trigger never reset and back it went to Remington. They sent a third in January. This time it seems to work. I take it to the range every time I shoot other pistols. So far no problem. It is a smooth shooter! And, dang accurate! And despit the fact that I have shot more than 100O rounds of Geco 124gr, flawlessly, I do not trust enough to carry it as a defense piece.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You can take my no Remington pistols vote to mean no Remington nothing - pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammunition, or any other shit they pedal these days.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Core-Lokt ammo, yes. Barnes Triple Shock-X, yes. Everything else Freedumb Group can keep until they get REAL, honest-to-God gun people in their corporate Charlie Foxtrot who actually DO know and understand what it takes to design and make quality firearms.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
When it comes to handguns, I just think cheap/low quality. So no, I probably would never buy a Remington handgun.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
There's just not reason to buy a Remington handgun when so many other great choices are available.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can take my no Remington pistols vote to mean no Remington nothing - pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammunition, or any other shit they pedal these days.

Ditto (and I was a multi decade fan)

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Rem 1911,

no other Rem pistol is worth the $$ to me

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm fully aware I'm alone here but I want to see then get the 51 right, but I like strange guns.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm perfectly willing to believe that Remington can make a good and perhaps even a great pistol. But I'm waiting for them to do it, and I'm waiting for multiple someone elses to play the guinea pig with them.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Never thought I would buy another Remington firearm going back more than ten years I did not. But you see I got a weakness for 1911s going back deacades. Currently own 7 1911 from a number of manufactures so did not really need another 1911. But after shooting a few of the newer Remington 1911 over the last 4 years or so via trading on the fireing line at a local ranges and looking them over. I liked what Remington was doing with the 1911. The barrels are stainless this a plus in my book.

The stainless models frames appear fully machined like they came fron a forging or billet. Last winter I picked up a lower end stainless R1s on sale. Have no regrets buying it, something I can not say for a few 1911 I've bought and sold over the years.

The fitment.. barrel lugs to slide, barrel to bushing, slide to frame on my Remington 1911 r1s is pretty darn good. All in all I think Remington doing a decent job on the 1911s but do not see picking up any of their other firearms.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the looks of the R51, but looks aren't everything. Never been able to convince myself I needed one.
Don't have a bad thing to say about Remington rifles, I have three and they have served me well.
When it comes to pistols, think I will stick to Sig.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Only Remington pistol I would buy would be used and a bolt action.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post