SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot the G17; Want DA/SA pistol - Sig, CZ, Beretta?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot the G17; Want DA/SA pistol - Sig, CZ, Beretta? Login/Join 
posted
Shot my G17 G4 again yesterday, 3rd trip to the range with it. I've got a few Glocks and like them for what they are - however, I just don't enjoy shooting them at the range. I've heard of some folks selling off their Glocks and adopting another platform - I just don't think I can do that based on current investment and cost of mags/accessories and the interchangeability between the models. I'm accurate when I'm focused with the 17, takes a bit more with my 26. Side note - I'd sell the 26 for a different slim 9mm, but you just can't beat the size/capability. But the hump (safety) in the Glock trigger just pisses me off. I ended up cutting my range trip short yesterday because of the trigger finger irritation. I have an Ed Brown 1911, but sometimes I want to shoot 9mm instead of .45. A buddy handed me his P225 yesterday and I put 4 rounds (comfortably) in one hole at 8 yards. I've had Sigs in the past, but it's been a while since I shot DA/SA - hence this post. I'm looking for a primary range use (wouldn't be afraid to carry if the right platform) and accurate 9mm DA/SA pistol. I'm looking at Sig P239 (discontinued, heard it's accurate), P226, CZ Shadow 2, Beretta M9A3, and Wilson Combat Beretta Brig Tac 92. I'm leaning towards the WC 92, but would love to hear opinions/experiences with the referenced pistols.

Posts: 406 | Location: NW FL | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking for a primary range use (wouldn't be afraid to carry if the right platform) and accurate 9mm DA/SA pistol. I'm looking at Sig P239 (discontinued, heard it's accurate), P226, CZ Shadow 2, Beretta M9A3, and Wilson Combat Beretta Brig Tac 92. I'm leaning towards the WC 92, but would love to hear opinions/experiences with the referenced pistols.

My experience with the Beretta WC Brig Tac soured greatly. No way I'll spend another dime on them. Expensive fluff. Could have just bought a regular M9A1 or 92A1. Among what you list, I'll probably pick the P226. Second would be the M9A3, but only in black, and none of that vomit color.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
If one one Sig, I'd start with a P226 as well.
I like the older West German guns, none of the overpriced BS variations...

Although my current Sigs are safe queens.

I used to own several Sigs, sold them off to buy Glocks.. Big Grin

Good luck..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Of the guns you listed, the only choice to me is the M9A3. The gun is awesome out of the box.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the hump (safety) in the Glock trigger just pisses me off. I ended up cutting my range trip short yesterday because of the trigger finger irritation.

Oh boy, do I ever hear you - that was one reason I was over the moon when the P320 came out. I'd opt for the 226 or Beretta M9, and give the 225A1 a try if you're looking for a compact. I'd love to claim that there's some deep qualitative difference between the 226 and any variant of the M9, but the truth is that you'd be best off picking whichever one fits your hand best and that you shoot best.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
226 all day. Then get some gray guns parts and you'll love it even more

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Berettas. I have a WC Brig Tac, a Vertec 92 with a WC action tune, and a plain 92A1. I like them all. Can't wait to pick up an M9A3.

My experience with the WC Brig Tac has been nothing but positive. It's a sweet shooter.

For the money, pick up a standard 92FS or A1 and buy the G conversion kit and WC trigger parts and D spring and do it yourself. I don't regret spending the $$ on the WC Brig Tac, but if your looking to go a little cheaper that's a good route.

I also have a P226R and while it's a great pistol, I just prefer the Beretta 92 series. Not a thing wrong with or bad about the Sig, just a preference. My 226 just sits in the safe. My Berettas get used.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
My experience with the Beretta WC Brig Tac soured greatly.

was it the pre-travel and overtravel? I forget what bugged you about it.

Sadly, they're Wilson Combat in name only...built to their specs. Still has the standard 92FS trigger parts on it, albeit the metal trigger blade and D-spring. Langdon Tactical's "trigger in a bag" is excellent...has a reworked sear, Wilson's trigger bar that changes the leverage on travel, etc. Basically, for about what WC charges for an "action tune", you're better off going that route.

For OP...I'm a 92 fan of course, that's well known. I do love my SP-01 Shadow with worked over trigger (as good as any of my S&W wheelguns) and my old W.German P220's, P226's and P228's. Can't go wrong with any of them, but it really depends on whether you want it box stock or are willing to swap parts in as for what to recommend.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
If one one Sig, I'd start with a P226 as well.
I like the older West German guns, none of the overpriced BS variations...

Although my current Sigs are safe queens.

I used to own several Sigs, sold them off to buy Glocks.. Big Grin

Good luck..

I was wondering if you still had that gun. I miss it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by watarski:
Shot my G17 G4 again yesterday, 3rd trip to the range with it. I've got a few Glocks and like them for what they are - however, I just don't enjoy shooting them at the range. I've heard of some folks selling off their Glocks and adopting another platform - I just don't think I can do that based on current investment and cost of mags/accessories and the interchangeability between the models. I'm accurate when I'm focused with the 17, takes a bit more with my 26. Side note - I'd sell the 26 for a different slim 9mm, but you just can't beat the size/capability. But the hump (safety) in the Glock trigger just pisses me off. I ended up cutting my range trip short yesterday because of the trigger finger irritation. I have an Ed Brown 1911, but sometimes I want to shoot 9mm instead of .45. A buddy handed me his P225 yesterday and I put 4 rounds (comfortably) in one hole at 8 yards. I've had Sigs in the past, but it's been a while since I shot DA/SA - hence this post. I'm looking for a primary range use (wouldn't be afraid to carry if the right platform) and accurate 9mm DA/SA pistol. I'm looking at Sig P239 (discontinued, heard it's accurate), P226, CZ Shadow 2, Beretta M9A3, and Wilson Combat Beretta Brig Tac 92. I'm leaning towards the WC 92, but would love to hear opinions/experiences with the referenced pistols.

Look for a P225 if you really liked shooting it. I have one. I have had 4 now. I really like them. A west german P226 like 1lowlife has is a dream to shoot. The triggers are smoother and better than the modern standard p226. If you do find a good 226, hend it off to grays guns or sig armorer. It will become one of your favorite.

Not on the list that I like is the HK USP/P30 series. The USP is more utilitarian, but the P30 and P30L are no slouch in this group.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for all metal wondernines. Beretta, CZ, or Sig are all great choices, but the Sig 226 wins by a hair.

P220 (.45)
P225
P226 (9mm)
P228
P229 (.40)
P365
P6
SP2022 (9mm & .40)

"...it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." - Clarence Worley in True Romance

Posts: 375 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. Interesting the recommendations - I expected the WC 92 or the CZ to be a top contender. I've shot a standard Beretta 92 but it's been a while, never shot a P226 (have shot a 2022 plenty), never shot a CZ 9mm, and the P225 was a little small for my taste. If I'm being honest, my order of preference (with my limited hands on experience) is M9A3, CZ, P226. I need to get my hands on them and see how they all feel back to back.
As an aside, I ordered an APEX flat trigger in the interim to see if I can get rid of the Glock safety shoe irritation.
Edited to add - I completely forgot about the P30L...have owned one in the past but never gave it a fair shake. Might have to throw that in the mix of full metal 9s.

Posts: 406 | Location: NW FL | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If you like Beretta, you can “customize” the 92/96 series (all types) fairly easily. I have one that I put in a “G” kit, solid steel guide rod, D-spring kit with steel trigger, etc. It makes a really nice pistol that is within Beretta spec for all their different models: D, F, and G.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wilson Combat Beretta Brig Tac 92

For around $800, you can get a 92 / M9, drop a Langdon Trigger job in a bag, G-kit, etc and have (IMO) an equal or better Beretta than a WC, for about $4-500 less.

I shot a tuned Brig Tac awhile back and my 92A1 with LTT kit is every bit as good, if not better (didn't shoot them side by side or many through the WC - it was a nice example and had the action tune).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
M9A3 for me. FUN-tastic gun right out of the box, and a plus that I don't mind its multi-hue at all. A little experience with the WC; I got to shoot a customer gun, one of the Brigadiers without the 'action tune' (I think that's what WC calls it). I like my factory M9A3 better. The extra-cost tuning is supposed to really elevate the gun; my beef is that the gun should have that sort of "upgrade" as standard, not an extra-cost option.

As for SIGs, I prefer the P229 over the P226, but the full-size is a very solid firearm in my book. I thoroughly enjoy my Mk25. My original P225 I enjoy as well. The P239 replacement, not so much. Conversely I do like its replacement, the P225-A1. Must be me lovin' the sound of 'two-two-five' rolling off the tongue... Smile

The Shadow 2 has a great DA trigger that's impossible not to like, with nicely contoured grips that nestle into my palms very well. But I thoroughly HATE its short height, angled contour slide; a too slippery non-starter for me that's more about style than substance, especially at speed. The slide of the plain production SP-01/SP-01 Tactical (or its more direct upgrade custom shop Shadow Target II) is a far more preferable slide to grab a hold of when operating the gun's action.

But I should add that I'll always prefer the G19 and G17 as my go-to guns over all of the above.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO I would keep your Glocks and start with the SIG line. You would then have two brands that are similar in that there are many models to choose from and a great deal of support from the companies.
Glocks are great for their durability and interchangeable magazines. There is a huge aftermarket for Glocks. It is the gun that can go the longest without cleaning and endure mud, sand, water, etc. torture tests and still function reliably.

SIG's are beautiful guns and very accurate. The company provides a great deal of support and there are many aftermarket options for them. The recoil is very soft and the accuracy is good.

SIG is like Toyota they are always coming out with new models. The warranty is also very good.

I have a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm that I spent some money into improving. The gun has never jammed in 5,000 rounds. Beretta, however, is somewhat of an odd company. It only has a 3 year warranty and puts some cheap epoxy finish on their handguns which tends to come off easy with holster wear.

The company originally had many successful double-action/single-action pistols but now has somewhat of an odd lineup. There is the Beretta Nano and Pico. There have been some issues with these pistols from people who I know own them. There is the Storm, which I own, which is an oddball looking pistol. The ugly duckling some would say. While the 92 there are many models it is a a duty size gun and many of the models do not have interchangeable front sights. In addition releasing the double-action/single-action pistol to the commercial market with the 12 1/2 pound trigger pull is too heavy. I looked into getting a 92 but then when I realized how many small changes I had to make, it was not worth it.

Some people have dozens of brands but I think the fewer the better. Simplicity is easier and one can focus on the platform that one has.

The other issue you may want to consider is resale value and SIG's hold them much better than other brands I have seen. When I bought my HK P30L, I never realized the price would drop so much. It appears that HK moving into the polymer line, made them drop their prices on their traditional models.

Unless I am wrong, Glocks and SIGs appreciate their commercial civilian customers. Some of the other companies seem to rely a great deal on their police and military contracts at the expense of the civilian market.

I only own one CZ which is a CZ 83, 7.65mm - only 15 round 32 ACP ever made. I bought it used in great condition and it is a very reliable gun.

You will probably get many opinions and I am not sure there are no right or wrong answers but I thought I would share you with my views.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My wilson brig tac is the most accurate gun I own and I own several Wilson and Baer 1911s.

The stainless amu match barrel makes a big difference. The sights, trigger job, g conversion, metal parts, heavy duty slide...it's worth the money.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always the forum members list some great responses that is why I come here to do my research.

All the choices you are looking at are solid platforms, and would be great choices.

The Sig P226 is great model, and I enjoy it but I don't shoot it as much as I should. It is a tad big for my hands. (That is the excuse I am using) I would like to try one with an E2 grip. I personally favor the P228 and the P229. It just fits my hand better.

I have carried the Beretta 92SF and the M9 variant for a number a years both in Law Enforcement and in the military. It ran everything I threw at it and never had a hiccup. The only problem I ever had was when I was at Fort Bliss, Tx at CRC and we were on the range qualifying before we departed for AFG. I could not get the weapon to cycle the next round. I took it to the armorers truck and they replaced almost everything on the weapon. I took it back and it ran flawlessly even with the sand, dust etc.. that was flying around. Took it to AFG and it never missed a beat.

One of the first pistols I bought was a CZ-75B and I love it to this day. I have never tried the Shadow but I do not think you could go wrong with any CZ either. They used to reasonably price but I think to many people started reading sigforum and the prices started going up and up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
226 is always a great choice, especially with the SRT and some Hogue G10s. Although, I've recently gone over to CZ for 9mm, primarily the PCR (CZ-75 compact with alloy frame and de-cocker.) Slapped some VZ G10s, a stainless steel guide rod, rubber base plates for the 14 rd std mags and 16 rd extra mags and we were good to go for EDC!!! Didn't need all the extra stuff but wanted to personalize. Still a great value and even better shooter! Total reliability! Saved a couple bucks, compared to the other choices, better used on ammo.

Full disclosure- CZ-75 triggers out of the box aren't the greatest all of the time but after a few boxes and dry-fire lots with a #83 O-ring between hammer and firing pin (or snap caps)and CZs show lots of improvement towards smoothness. YMMV... but worked for me.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
My experience with the Beretta WC Brig Tac soured greatly.

was it the pre-travel and overtravel? I forget what bugged you about it.

Sadly, they're Wilson Combat in name only...built to their specs. Still has the standard 92FS trigger parts on it, albeit the metal trigger blade and D-spring. Langdon Tactical's "trigger in a bag" is excellent...has a reworked sear, Wilson's trigger bar that changes the leverage on travel, etc. Basically, for about what WC charges for an "action tune", you're better off going that route.

It was the single action creep prior to the sear breaking, that was so noticeable that I thought I was pulling a stock CZ 75 trigger. And, this was the action tuned model. Roll Eyes
Wrote WC about it, and they said it's inherent in the system, and I needed to buy an extra this and another extra that from them to clean up that creep. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Sold it to my buddy kingfish007 with full disclosure, and he totally agreed that it was a crappy SA trigger.

I so wanted to try their Cent Tac, but no way I was going to plunk down another $1300+ and risk getting another shitty trigger.

I might consider getting the Langdon Tactical Beretta down the road. Have a bunch of Beretta mags sitting around right now doing nothing.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post