SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kudos to the SIG Custom Shop for my .38 Super
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kudos to the SIG Custom Shop for my .38 Super Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted
Picked up a P220 .38 Super a few weeks ago off a local seller. He said his dad gave it to him, but he wanted something that shoots cheaper ammo. He told me his dad wanted a two tone, so he’d stripped the finish completely off the slide, it was totally bare metal?? Not sure how he’d taken the finish off, but he’d actually done a decent job, except that it was unfinished! Because of that, I got it for what you might pay for a used P220 in .45.

Fortunately, it was June and SIG was running their Father’s Day Promo for Custom Shop services. I called my regular C.S. guy and he set me up for the Full Service Package ($65) along with having the slide re-blued ($89). He sent me the shipping label and I dropped it off at FedEx on June 23rd . It was delivered back to my house today, 20 days door to door.

A copy of the Service Order was included with the gun and the gunsmith noted: “Performed FSP. Reblued slide. Reblued barrel and controls as a courtesy. Test fired, no issues”. He didn’t mention that he also polished the feed ramp and installed new grip screws. It didn’t come with a box, but I’ve got a bunch of extras that I’ve picked up over the years that are the correct vintage. I shipped it in one of them and when it came back, they’d added all the correct labels to the box. First time that’s happened.

I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out. Looks super! (pun intended). I’m normally not a fan of wood grips (I already got a set of black G10 Piranha grips for it), but these are growing on me and they feel great. I think I’ll keep them on for a while to see how it goes. I’ve now had about 9 or 10 guns worked on by the Custom Shop and they’ve done a terrific job on all of them.

The obligatory photos…

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Great looking piece. Funny that the box says "380". Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great service for a wonderfull 220.

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My favorite platform, in what is becoming my favorite caliber.

It looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Can't say I've ever seen grips like those before.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
It looks like SIG did a great job and you now own a beautiful looking pistol.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new labels are over the top! Nice

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Those are some BIG 380 rounds you've got there. The refinishing work looks exceptionally well executed. It's pretty cool that they provided the labels. Glad to see that people at SIG recognize and acknowledge a rare and special bird with these kinds of special touches...even if the caliber was a little off.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Those are some BIG 380 rounds you've got there.

Well, the Auto and the Super are the same diameter, it's just that one is a little longer and about double the muzzle energy. Big Grin

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yiiiiii, that's nice! I've gotta get off my butt and ship 'em an old 9mm I've got that could seriously benefit from their ministrations.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very nice

Posts: 26 | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who makes those grips?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Good as (better than?) new!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Looks Great

Congratulations on a nice piece.

My 38Super P220 is an amazingly accurate firearm

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
Who makes those grips?

I'm not the OP, but those look an awful lot like checkered Hogues.

http://www.hogueinc.com/sig-sa...pean-model-checkered

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who makes those grips?

I'm not sure, they came on the gun. In doing some research, they look very much like the ones made by Hogue. I'm no wood experty, but they're either Pau Ferro, Kingwood or Cocobolo.

Abraham Lincoln

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Il Cattivo is correct but, in case you’re wondering why I’m repeating what he said… I actually wrote the above response about 4:45. Apparently there was a ‘trigger’ word in my reply that blocked it from being posted until it was cleared by the moderator about an hour later. In the meantime, Il Cattivo made his post. Turns out we were on the same track.

Abraham Lincoln

Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
Purdy

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S service!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
quote:
Who makes those grips?

I'm not sure, they came on the gun. In doing some research, they look very much like the ones made by Hogue. I'm no wood experty, but they're either Pau Ferro, Kingwood or Cocobolo.

They do look dead ringer for Hogue. If they are Hogue, they should have the Hogue marking on the inner grip surface. Did you check, Tooky13?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post