SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cleaning new magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning new magazines Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted
Bought some new magazines for my P239. They are covered in some kind of sticky protectant. I’ve tried denatured alcohol, Hoppes and mil-com cleaner and none really removs it all that well. What do you use to get the goop off?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I use 91% alcohol. Whatever you finally choose, be sure to clean the inside of the magazine tubes as well.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I don't know what's on your new mags, but denatured or isopropyl alcohol should take off most preservatives. You might try acetone.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

WD-40, then denatured alcohol or acetone (be careful of acetone fumes...good ventilation required).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Brake cleaner,inside and out.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Remember after all the things listed above you will need oil/protectant reapplied.

Anything that will strip that like alcohol, break cleaner, or acetone will leave the mag completely void of oil and allow them to rust extremely fast.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yep.

However, make sure all excess lube is wiped off. A very thin coat is all you want left in the mag. Otherwise, it will pick up gunk with use.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same situation happened to me. The hive said mineral spirits. Worked great.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoppes has worked fine. Isopropyl alcohol too. For heavier gunk like cosmoline I'd use mineral spirits.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 91% (or higher) alchohol from the grocery story first-aid shelf, and the thinnest coat of oil you can apply to the interior of the mag body and the exterior of the mag spring. You might want to apply the thin coat of oil and then run an old T-shirt through the mag body just to make sure you didn't leave any excess.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another vote for 91% (or higher) alchohol from the grocery story first-aid shelf, and the thinnest coat of oil you can apply to the interior of the mag body and the exterior of the mag spring. You might want to apply the thin coat of oil and then run an old T-shirt through the mag body just to make sure you didn't leave any excess.

Exactly what I do & I clean my mags as often as I clean the gun. For oil, I spray Rem Oil inside & out, then wipe dry with old socks (washed of course)

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. This is some sticky stuff. Will try brake cleaner tonight.

FWIW, after watching some of Max Michel's videos a while back, I've been wiping clean mags down with a silicone cloth in and out, and then wiping the excess off with a cotton cloth. That has worked well for me.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
you do need a bit of something to aid in preventing rust after you clean down to the bone. Just a little though. What you're going for is just enough oily stuff to prevent rust yet not attract and capture fouling. Less is probably better than more.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Simple Green.

I, for one, do not oil my mag bodies on blued mags.

I also live in a dry climate, and don't carry guns that use blued mags. So the handful of guns that I do have blued mags for, the mags live in a climate controlled house and I've never had any rust issues.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

This. Just be sure to remove any plastic, such as the baseplate or follower, and keep it a safe distance away. Brake cleaner does an excellent job of cleaning metal, but can damage plastic/wood/etc.

Also, it completely strips all oil/grease from metal, so you'll need to reapply a light coating of oil after cleaning.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I use Hoppes with a toothbrush. Inside and outside. I have not had any problems.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

This. Just be sure to remove any plastic, such as the baseplate or follower, and keep it a safe distance away. Brake cleaner does an excellent job of cleaning metal, but can damage plastic/wood/etc.

Also, it completely strips all oil/grease from metal, so you'll need to reapply a light coating of oil after cleaning.

Gun Scrubber can be used on most plastics and will clean and strip oils just as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner is my choice, followed with a light application of BREAKFREE CLP.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean mine in an Ultrasonic cleaner with parts cleaner solution, let them dry real good then spray inside and out (spring also) with Sentry Tuff Glide, it leaves a dry lubricant and protective film. It also leave a nice finish on the Phosphate. Easy to keep maintained with a Sentry Tuff cloth.
I also use on my knife collection and have never had any rust problems.
http://shop.scopecoat.com/Clea...-Lubrication_c50.htm

P220 ELITE SAO 10MM + P220 SAS GEN 2 45 ACP
P226 MK-25 9MM [2]
P227 45 ACP
M11-A1 9MM [2]
P229 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P229 SAS GEN 2 357 + P229 CARRY SAS 357 + P229 ELITE 40 S&W
P239 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P239 SAS GEN 2 357
P290 9MM
1911 TACOPS 45ACP

Posts: 82 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: October 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I use lighter fluid (naphtha) to clean old grease and oil from parts. It works well and does not harm most plastics and finishes.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post