SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a very lightly used Wiley Clapp 1911 Commander
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a very lightly used Wiley Clapp 1911 Commander Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted
My first Colt, excellent condition, came with 5 mags(3 unused Wilsons), Ritchie Lightning holster and a Galco OWB holster, all with just about zero wear. Can't wait until I try this puppy..Paid 900.00 for it, hope it was a decent deal

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I'd say it was, especially with the extras.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent deal. I have been looking for exactly that deal for some time. They run $1100 - $1200 used around here and $1350+ new, depending on the volume discount the dealer can swing. For some of the smaller dealers, they are close to $1500 dealer cost.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Nice score, I was in the process of buying a used one but my friend loved it more so I passed. You need to follow up with a range report. They are very cool looking.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the Commander in 9mm or 45ACP? Is it a Light Weight, or heavy?

Have never been able to discover just what the differences are between Wiley Clapp Commander and the "regular" Commander. What do you think?

One of our competitors uses a Light Wight (plain) Colt Commander in 9mm with red-dot in Bullseye competition. Front end is now very tight, but the back rattles.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:

Have never been able to discover just what the differences are between Wiley Clapp Commander and the "regular" Commander. What do you think?

One of our competitors uses a Light Wight (plain) Colt Commander in 9mm with red-dot in Bullseye competition. Front end is now very tight, but the back rattles.

First hit after searching "wiley clapp 1911 commander" on Google:

https://gundigest.com/handguns...ightweight-commander

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Mines a .45 and is a bit lighter than my sig 1911

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:

The Wiley Clapp Commander has some features I don't think are on a regular Commander. Undercut trigger guard, front strap checkering, small thumb safety and some odd looking grips (not the ones pictured) for starters.

Here is mine.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllenInAR,

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got a great deal!
Have a Wiley Clapp LW Commander in 9mm, love the gun.
I shoot high thumb and ride the safety, so I HATE the small thumb safety (to be changed out eventually).

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Yup the previous owner swapped out the safety with an Ed Brown one and he also put on VZ grips, might put nice wood ones on.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Allen. The undercut seems to be the most significant enhancement over the simple LW Commander. How tight/loose is the slide to frame fit? The simple LW is a bit loose in the back.

First serious job was in "central" WVa. Great people.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
There is no play what so ever..

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Had I understood that the WC is tight, I sure would have ordered one. Even the largest stores do not stock WC models.

Mac in Michigan