SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger SR1911CMD-A weirdness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR1911CMD-A weirdness Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I took possession yesterday of my Ruger lightweight Commander. While checking it out (at home) it occurred to me that there were no grooves on the front strap. Every pic I'd come across on the internet showed grooves, so I called Ruger customer service. They asked that I send pics, serial #, etc.

They just called back. CSR says Ruger made "a very few" with no grooves. Bizarro. So depending on how you look at it, I have a collector's item or a freak of nature. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could send yours in and have it checkered...even more a rarity.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'd thought, based on some info over at 1911Forum, that the front strap serrations had been discontinued altogether. The response you received makes me think the feature has perhaps been reinstated.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
They just called back. CSR says Ruger made "a very few" with no grooves

Or a clandestine way of saying that the dude that runs the CNC machine that does the serration cuts was out sick for a couple of days. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I kinda thought that myself.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am doubly weird. I have two Ruger Commanders. One in .45 and the other is 9mm.
No grooves at all.
I went old school Pachmayr to sticky up the front straps.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Maybe they meant very few were made WITH the grooves.

Obviously, some were.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah probably meant very few were made with grooves. My 9mm Commander from last fall has nothing. I stuck a Wilson Combat thing on the front. I think all the pictures I've seen of various people's 9mm had no grooves. I didn't feel like spending the money to have it done and the WC thing was sitting in our throw away parts bin at work.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I didn't have any on my full sized SR1911. I just added one of the Wilson front wrap-around jobbies. Only about $10.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I wonder how hard it'd be to match the black color? And just pressure from the grip panels keeps it in place?

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I wonder how hard it'd be to match the black color? And just pressure from the grip panels keeps it in place?

They also make it in black/blue. Yes, it is held in place behind the panels. Mine has never slipped.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skateboard tape. Been using it on my Colt LW Cmdr for 30 years.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
They just called back. CSR says Ruger made "a very few" with no grooves

Or a clandestine way of saying that the dude that runs the CNC machine that does the serration cuts was out sick for a couple of days. Wink

lol

WE WANT SERRATIONS!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post