SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grips for 226
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grips for 226 Login/Join 
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted
I am looking for a set of wood grips for the P226 that my son has. He has the rubber grips on it but wants to go back to the original ones.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the Hogue website; they have wood grips for
the P226 I'm sure.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael. Looking for the original grips though.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Don't suppose you could enlighten us as to which grips were original on his particular pistol, SIG has sold quite a few different styles over the years from multiple vendors. Simply requesting original is like saying I want a pop-tart without specifying a flavor.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Don't suppose you could enlighten us as to which grips were original on his particular pistol, SIG has sold quite a few different styles over the years from multiple vendors. Simply requesting original is like saying I want a pop-tart without specifying a flavor.

Yeup. There are the original Sile wood grips, and the Blackwood grips, and the Rosewood grips, just off the top of my head.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to cause any trouble, but why does he want the wood grips? I only ask as they will make the pistol grip a bit larger if he uses it to ccw. I had some wood grips on my pistol and went with Hogue G-10 for a better grip and they are not as wide.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Not to cause any trouble, but why does he want the wood grips? I only ask as they will make the pistol grip a bit larger if he uses it to ccw. I had some wood grips on my pistol and went with Hogue G-10 for a better grip and they are not as wide.

Maybe it's just a range gun, or a home defense gun? He didn't say anything about ccw. And, maybe he's one of those folks with large hands and prefers the thick wood grips? Stick with the program. The man wants the original wood grips. But then, not sure if he even knows which original wood grips. Wink

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Not sure which original grips and was unaware there were three different kinds. Gun was purchased used. Probably rosewood though.

I am in Maryland. What is this concealed carry thing you speak of patw?

John

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any derailment or trouble to the thread but just trying to offer some options/perspective. As far as the ccw idea went, I guess you sometimes take for granted the options we have in some states compared to others. I didn't realize Maryland was a non-ccw state. Cheers. Smile

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure which original grips and was unaware there were three different kinds.
I would say there were at least 3 and perhaps more(no one mentioned KN Nill), pick a color, profile and thickness that suites his tastes and go from there... Do you know a bit more about the weapon? Production date, model?.?.?...

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Actually it is my son's weapon. I am looking at grips for him.

John

posted Hide Post
why don't you just go to Sig's site? They have rosewood grips in stock.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
Actually it is my son's weapon. I am looking at grips for him.
Gathered that from your initial post. SIG factory wood for a plain Jane P226, we're guessing... You've never mentioned anything about the gun except the model(P226), how old is it? Rail, no rail, beaver-tail, DA/SA, SAO, DAO, DAK, X-Series? Any one of these things may play a role in what will actually fit it properly. Seriously, information?

The problem with wood grips is that they are very subjective regarding thickness, shape, and texture. If you don't have much experience with the variations it can be very easy to settle on something he may not like for any number of reasons. My personal favorite is KN Nill, which has sold both SIG-factory logo(harder to find but not impossible) and non-factory logo SIG grips over the course of time.

SIG currently lists Equinox/Blackwood and Rosewood(not in stock), here: SIG Grips

I personally don't consider either of those "original" to older SIG's, as those were almost exclusively made by Siles and KN Nill(X-series pistols) for the older German SIG's. Siles is out of business as far as I know, but KN Nill can still be purchased here: Nill US or here: MacTec

Walnut stippled thumb-rest(RH) Nills on a P226:

Walnut checkered Rhomlas Nills on a P225:

Walnut checkered Rhomlas Nills on a P220ST:

Walnut checkered Siles on a 9mm P220EU:

And then as mentioned above, Hogue

If there is any way to have him try various grips, admittedly probably not simple, you would be better off.
Just how important "original" is depends on the gun and you/him.

NRA Benefactor

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of a P226 I had with Hogues. I never measured them but they felt and shot about the same as the Sig OEM grips of the day (Before the E2 grips). I thought they looked pretty cool.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful grips, Navy...well done...are they much thicker than OEM's? Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the insight guys. I will show this to my son.

John

Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
It is a West German Sig made in 1994

John

posted Hide Post
I would think that with the SN you could call Sig and find out what was originally on your Sig.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about New Hampshire?

John

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
It is a West German Sig made in 1994

Question: How do you know the original grips are wood?
It is more than likely that a 1994 SIG will have the typical plastic grips as came from factory.

Q