SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me get my sig fastback carry to run better
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me get my sig fastback carry to run better Login/Join 
posted
What: A sig fastback carry that I don’t. 2000+ rounds of target Ammo through the gun. Cleaned and lubed after every session. Mags are the standard sig mags that came with the gun and some flush fitting chip McCormick 8 rounders. The chip McCormick’s work better.

Problem: consistent failure to return into battery after first 24 rounds. Occasional failures to feed after that as well. Flinging brass straight back at my face.

I like the gun. I like the way it looks, feels, and shoots. I want to trust it more.

I don’t like the idea of sending it back to sig (purchased about 4 years ago) and spend a year of back and forth with them trying to troubleshoot.

So...for you sig 1911 guys..any advice? Things to ask a smith to handle? Obvious hacks and tricks to fix?

Thx

Posts: 5 | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if it consistently happens after 24 rounds then they will be able to reproduce it. If the can make it happen they can fix it. You are going about this all wrong. If you send it to your gunsmith and he voids warranty you’re screwed. Bite the bullet and call Sig.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When you gently pull the slide back on that 24 one, does the round come with it.

Brass to the face could be ejector or extractor. That with the other issue makes me think extractor.

(I've become like "the carpenter with only one tool", after being driven crazy by a 1911 that was push feeding, that's become my diagnosis for everything) Big Grin

How to trouble shoot your external extractor I could t say, for it is an affront to all that is holy. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
While extractor sounds reasonable, what ammo are you using? Factory/your reloads/someone els’s reloads? Out of spec reloads could cause some of what you are describing. Call SIG CS and describe the issues. Stress the first 23 rounds are basically good. I’m surprised you put up with this for 2K rounds.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I’m going to try replacing the retail spring first. Someone mentioned it in a post though it is missing now? Anywho, if that doesn’t work with the battery issue I’ll send it back to sig and see what happens. If it does fix the issue I’ll do the same with the extractor.

I shoot a mix of new blazer target Ammo and remanufactired stuff. I haven’t found the failures to be more frequent with one over the other.

Thanks again all!

Posts: 5 | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No real help, but my Nightmare Carry runs flawlessly, even with some junk magazines I have had for years.
My range / practice ammo is Federal American Eagle 230gr Ball.
Send it to Sig. they will get it right.
Despite its hundred plus year history, a 1911 can take a little tinkering to run right.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Tight chamber?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that its 24 rds is somewhat unusual. But I suggest that you start with some real ammo and not powder puff stuff.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't be that sensitive, but what lubricant are you using?

Is it an all stainless gun?

Any signs of galling?

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy two recoil springs one lighter and one heavier. Try one or the other first. I would also replace the extractor spring. It could be a cheap fix before you ship it off to SIG.

What ammo are you using? Is the round nose diving or .....? More detail might help. My $.02.

Good Luck!

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should run with a factory spring. Get some real ammo and call us back.

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You need a new recoil spring. Most 1911 manufacturers recommend replacement at 500 rounds for compacts and no more than 2000 rounds for commander and Govt models. Take the recoil spring out and measure the length. Govt and Commander springs measure about 5 inches long. Down by a 1/4 in? Replace it. Compact springs are about 4 1/5 in long. Govt and Commander springs range 14 - 18 lbs compact 20- 24lbs. You can adjust to your loads.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to eliminate the possibility of it being ammo related, I would try a better grade of ammo.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Tight chamber?

I was thinking this as well.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rlbuzz:
Just to eliminate the possibility of it being ammo related, I would try a better grade of ammo.

On that note, if you are using reloads that you made, the problem could also be that you need to crimp the bullet more.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need a new recoil spring.

It's merely curiosity at this point, but describe a theory on recoil spring that gets you a failure every 24 rounds.

Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
You need a new recoil spring.

It's merely curiosity at this point, but describe a theory on recoil spring that gets you a failure every 24 rounds.

Solving a problem.
Ammunition
Maintenance
Human error
Firearm

The number of rounds between failures doesn't concern me. Rule out the variables and you should have your gun up and running.

I've had hard running 1911's fail to go into battery every 3 rounds but needed cleaning. After cleaning, the gun ran for 8-9 rounds before failure to go into battery. The spring was found to be almost 3/4 in shorter.

On other guns I've had failure to go into battery because the reload was not crimped enough. This fix should not apply to factory ammunition but Q/A can be missed.

Just my thoughts of what I regularly see as I change out a ton of springs each year on my 1911's. I run them hard with a knowledge they need to be maintained. Recoil springs, hammer springs, mainsprings are changed on a regular round count (which is approximated).