SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Used Gen2 G19: What Should I Know Before Purchasing? Update: Purchased - w/ Photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Gen2 G19: What Should I Know Before Purchasing? Update: Purchased - w/ Photos Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I found a used Gen2 Glock 19 at my LGS. It isn't perfect, yet not abused. Here's what I know. The date code on the barrel is BTT which I've determined is April 1988. The serial number is DN148. It comes in a two-piece black Tupperware container minus any tools or papers. Included are two mismatched 10-round 9mm Glock magazines which I've determined are not original to the pistol. The sights appear to be steel. With the slide removed, there is a visible "+" stamped on the trigger bar. What do I need to know before moving forward? Thanks!

Update April 8th: I purchased the Gen2 Glock 19 yesterday. Attached are the obligatory photos. With the DN serial number prefix, I've determined this pistol is one of the lot of first 1,000 G19's imported into the US around April 1988. Note the early black serial number plate. The internals are silver in color indicating it received the Glock upgrade (thanks Dusty78). As mentioned it is missing the original 15-round mags which I believe would have been the all plastic affairs without the metal liner. The captured recoil spring assembly is most likely a replacement. Ordinarily the amount of wear on the outer surface of the barrel would indicate a moderate to high round count though the remainder of the pistol doesn't support this. (Admittedly, I'm much more familiar with P-Series SIGs than Glock.) Any additional information or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hjs157,

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Gotta be one of the earliest 19s as it has the proof marks with each of the serialized parts.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
There was a recall on the internal parts. If your break it down and the metal parts are a dark grey color it likely didn’t have the upgrade. I can’t remember what the issue is but might have been firing pin related.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Found it:

GLOCK, INC. Technical Bulletin #920403

April 1, 1992

Glock, Inc. announces a production change of the firing pin safety system. This new firing pin safety system has been installed in all production Glock pistols since November, 1991. A voluntary upgrade is being offered to maintain the Glock tradition of ensuring that all of our pistoils are up to the latest standards in 21st century Goock technology.

Most importantly, the components of the new firing pin safety system are not interchangable with the components of the old systam and Glock will always strive towards maintaining this feature of interchangability while working to ensure future interchangability.

The upgraded firing pin safety system consists of: the firing pin, firing pin safety, the extractor, the spring loaded bearing and the trigger bar. The upgraded system is applicable only to Glock pistols with the following serial number ranges :

Glock 17 - alpha prefix AA - WF
Glock 21 - alpha prefixes through XL
Glock 19 - alpha prefixes through WJ Glock 22 - alpha prefixes through YA
Glock 20 - alpha prefixes thorugh WW Glock 23 - alpha prefixes through SK

The upgraded firing pin safety has a new surface finish making it nearly 100% saltwater corrosion resistant. Also, after rigorous and extensive testing, the new system proves to be more durable and has a longer useful life. Here, as alwyas, Glock is working toward maintianing its standard of perfection.

1993, G19 Upgrade

Glock Model 19, 9mm Luger caliber, requires an upgrade for all pistols.

These pistols have the potential for an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of a cartridge with the action open.

The Glock model 19 pistol slide has a bottom protrusion, whose function is to push cartridges from the top of the magazine into the chamber. When the pistol is jammed in a double feed situation, the slide protrusion can come in contact with the primer of the jammed cartridge and cause UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE while the action is open.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Not my pic but it shows the differences and markings related to the connector. Many LE have used the "+" or 8lb connectors as a hedge against negligent discharge. There is also a "New York trigger" that is in the twelve pound area.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Note that those are connectors, not trigger bars. That's not what he's talking about, jackimoe.

This silver bar connected to the trigger shoe is the trigger bar:

The "plus" trigger bar is used on early, pre-EH serial prefix Glock 19s. They're slightly taller at the rear than standard, where the trigger bar interacts with the firing pin. And they're stamped with a "+" in that cross-shaped area.

Glock part # 1293

Unfortunately, this means that standard factory or aftermarket trigger assemblies won't work with your early G19. You're stuck with that special + trigger bar and grooved trigger.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue. I learn something new every day! Big Grin Now if I can just remember it...

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is indeed a very early Glock 19. I bought a Glock 19 Gen 2 directly from Glock in Smyrna in the summer of 1989; the serial number is UU3**

I do remember taking it back for the trigger bar replacement but I can't remember the specifics all these years later only that it was done.

Although I am partial to Sigs, the Glock 19 is is one of my favorite Glocks. The only thing that might be better is the Glock 32 (same size) in 357 Sig.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were the early Glocks made with non MIM parts?

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Were the early Glocks made with non MIM parts?

Yes. The change to MIM was somewhere in the gen3s sometime

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Excellent weapon. I had the upgrade done on mine by a glock armorer at work. They will send you the parts for free as long as the parts are shipped to a glock armorer.
I will never get rid of mine. I have never had a single malfunction with it.
Good luck with it.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have several Gen 2 G19s.

got into Glocks in the mid 90s

Will not part with them

load
rack
point
shoot

Smile

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would send it in to Glock for update and inspection.
It will only cost you shipping one way.
Add night sights and a refinish for not a lot more.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the old Tupperware containers. They were everything you needed and nothing you didn't. Not the ostentatious clamshell disasters that everybody sells guns in today. I bet someone could make a killing making a two piece case like the old Glock ones that could fit something as big as say a 1911 and market it as a space saving, stackable case for your safes and range bags.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I miss the old Tupperware containers. They were everything you needed and nothing you didn't. Not the ostentatious clamshell disasters that everybody sells guns in today.

100% agree. I was so tired of storing the larger plastic cases I began ditching them.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Remove the magazine and squeeze the grip firmly with your fingers and listen for creaking sounds indicating cracking of the polymer.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The G19 is my favorite pistol. I will just say more than one.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post