SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your favorite "woods revolver"?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite "woods revolver"? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:
Another one here for a SP101 in 3".

Yup with hand loads at maximum and a Ruger Alaskan as the primary.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Depending on destination, G20 or a 3" 629. A walk in the Metropark just calls for my EDC 228

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
I tried several, last year settled (for now!) on a Ruger Redhawk 4.2” 45 Colt with 270 SAA hand loads. Normally carried in a Hill People Gear chest bag when backpacking, hiking or fishing.

Posts: 212 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP100 5" 357 Magnum

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Glock 20 with a Kart barrel and Underwood solid lead rounds

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Either one.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:

Either one.

YOU..... Always you with the pretty wheelies. Lurvely.

Also, for me- 2.5" 66 is about it for me. Otherwise I only have 9mm before going long gun. Yikes!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Thanks BigNC, it took me to 71 to get the gang together.

My other favorite 'woods revolver', .22 edition:

Model K-22 - shipped Nov. 3, 1947 - ten days before I was born!

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for public stupidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Smith & Wesson 629 Mountain Gun. And yes I'm still pissed I couldn't bring it through Canada when I moved up here.

You could have if you did your paper work. Folks travel to Alaska all the time via road. You just have to prepare ahead of time.
1. Paper work'
2. Trigger Lock
3. Locked container

Travel must be direct to Alaska from the Canadian border. We don't allow Americans to run around our country armed, nor does the US allow Canadians to run around the US armed.

Take Care

Bob

Posts: 33 | Location: Terrace, B.C. Canada | Registered: April 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love revolvers but only own three. A 686 that was my dads last service revolver, a Ruger match champion, and a 642 no lock. So my favorite woods revovler? It’s an HK45c. Carries nice, very reliable, and very accurate. It’s taken a lot of rounds and dry fire to break the trigger in but it is a very nice shooting pistol now.

Posts: 166 | Registered: February 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Ky or down at the cabin in NC, I always have something on me...for the black bear that eyed our Black Lab on a day hike in NC, all I had was a 9mm Hi-Power and dearly wished I'd had one of my .44's. For two-legged threats it could be anything that catches my fancy for the day here on our farm as we're not threatened by much. But I don't need a reason to pack one of my blued steel beauties, 'cause it's just down right fun packing a short bbl. and picking off the occasional charging thistle top or lurking pine knot.

I never used to carry a side arm while hunting, especially here in KY. But while packing out some elk quarters in Colorado's high country near Jefferson, years ago, I found fresh bear tracks on my back trail as dusk approached. The .35 Whelen, all 9 lbs of it, was back on the Jeep two track and I was hauling fresh meat an inch behind my shoulder blades...and along with it, the icy fingers of remorse for the .44 Mag carefully stowed in my duffle back in camp. The rifle was just too big to haul over that 1/2 mile of snowy mountain side, but the .44 in a good cross chest 'tanker' type of holster could easily have gone.

It was a lesson that I've not forgotten...and I carry both long and short guns now, here in KY and would if I ever got the chance to hunt in Colorado again. Here 'bouts, it's usually one of my Ruger Flat Top .44 Specials for finishing shots on wounded game and I've actually used it twice while helping trail up a neighbor's less than sterling game shot. Too, a short barreled .44's just the ticket when crawling through wild rose thickets that infest some of our hillsides. Even one of Marlins short bbl'd carbines would be awkward for some of that nasty brush.

Best Regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post

My S&W 629 Trail Boss .44 mag. Perfection.

Gunfighters Kenai holster.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that you specifically posted about revolvers, but I hike and camp all the time in rural Arkansas. Besides felons, we have an extremely large population of black bears, big cats, and coyotes like the stars.

I had to make a similar decision recently and I chose the Glock 40 10mm over Ruger .44 and .357 revolvers for capacity and ability to reload somewhat faster.

Recently, during a vehicle CQB course, we tested 2 different 10mm loads from my G40 by shooting the A pillar that slopes down along the windshield on the driver's side. We tested a Remington 180-grain green & white box FMJ at 1200FPS and a Buffalo Bore 200 cast lead, also at 1200FPS. Unbelievably, the Remington penetrated MORE through the A pillar than did the Buffalo Bore. The BB penetrated the front side of the A pillar, and created a hole on the far side of the A pillar, but the hole was not big enough to allow the BB cast lead bullet to go completely through the A pillar. The BB lead cast remained inside the pillar itself despite the hole on inside of the A pillar, which was not large enough to allow the BB cast lead bullet to fully penetrate. The Remington FMJ penetrated both sides of the A pillar and was found in the driver's floorboard. Defamation on both bullets was identical and minimal. I realize that penetration is not the only component of good performance, but for a woods gun, I think it may be the most important.

So, I feel very comfortable with a far less expensive 10mm round that is commonly available in a caliber that approaches .41 Magnum when loaded right. 15 rounds per magazine in an easily reloadable handgun sealed the deal for me. I intend to buy a Kenai chest holster and call it good. Please give it some thought. It's a good option.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
My S&W 686 SNUB.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
My "go to" woods revolver is my 44 Mag S&W 629 Classic, 5" stainless.
Love this revolver!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I posted here yet but I live in serious bear country and I either have a 4” redhawk 44mag or a Glock 20 on me when I’m out there. Underwood hardcast in whichever one I’m carrying.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP 100 6" for me. If I'm into semis, its a Glock 20.....

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
As revolvers go, the S&W Mountain Gun in .44mag is my favorite.

Although these days I find myself carrying the G20 more often when out and about.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
If I really think I’m going to need it, 4 or 6” gp100 or 5.5” Redhawk. I have more fun with a .22 though.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SP101

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post